Sons of Anarchy - a question

catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,199
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Pick TV on Freeview are showing season 2 of Sons of Anarchy, starting this weekend. I haven't seen season 1 - would I be o.k. starting with season 2 or will it be difficult to understand what's going on?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    You'll be fine. The motor cycle club is a front got organised crime is all you need to know. And there is some kind of internal power struggle, and slayers of allegiances with other crime organisations.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd be better off seeing season 1 first, but given that there's no time for that as season 2 starts this weekend, you should at least try and read up on it to get an idea about the characters and backstory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy#Season_1
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Season 1
    The series begins with the torching of a SAMCRO gun-assembly warehouse and the theft of guns by a rival club, the Mayans. The police attend the scene where a cop, who is on the SAMCRO payroll, finds two dead illegal immigrants. Meanwhile, Jax's estranged meth-addicted wife Wendy, who is pregnant with his child, collapses. An emergency C-section is performed and the baby is delivered ten weeks prematurely.
    Jax struggles with the direction the club is taking. Gemma tells Wendy that if she tries to gain custody of the child, Abel, that she will kill Wendy, and Gemma supplies her with drugs which Wendy eventually takes and overdoses on. Charming Deputy Chief Hale finds the immigrants' bodies at the burnt-out warehouse, but Tig and Bobby remove them before he can forensically examine them. Tara receives a threatening phone call from a former boyfriend, ATF agent, Josh Kohn, who comes to Charming stalking Tara, pretending to investigate the Sons but apparently on vacation status.
    To solve a gun-trafficking problem under the ATF's watchful eye, the Sons head out to Indian Hills, Nevada, to patch over the Devil's Tribe Motorcycle Club. While there, Clay sleeps with a girl named Cherry, who takes a liking to Half Sack. Kohn follows the Sons and witnesses their shootout with the Mayans. Kohn provides Tara pictures of Jax in compromising situations to try to split the two. The Sons soon become aware of Kohn's presence in Charming. Clay is arrested on charges of aiding and abetting a triple homicide after guns the Sons sold were used in a shootout. Cherry arrives in Charming, and Gemma realizes that Clay has slept with her. Shortly afterward, Gemma assaults her with a skateboard, for which she is arrested.
    Tara reveals to Jax that Kohn has been stalking her since she broke up with him, and that she has a restraining order against him. Jax throws Kohn through a window before beating him and telling him to stay away from Tara. Kohn is arrested for breaking his restraining order, which ends Kohn's career as a federal agent. Kohn returns to Tara's house and attempts to rape her, but Tara is able to grab his gun and shoots him in the stomach. Jax comes to her aid and advises Tara to let the police handle the situation. When Kohn calls Tara a "biker ****", Jax shoots him in the head. Jax takes Kohn's body to the hills and later returns to burn it. He also throws his father's memoir into the fire, but takes it back out within seconds.
    Opie botches a planned assassination that was a favor for the IRA, and Bobby steps in to complete the task. However, their crime is witnessed by the victim's 17 year old black mistress. ATF Agent June Stahl tries to crack the club's unity by interrogating the women associated with the club: Tara, Luann, Donna, and Cherry. Stahl arrests Cherry on outstanding warrants, but Charming Police Chief Wayne Unser aids Cherry, who escapes Charming that night. When Big Otto learns that Stahl is trying to use the RICO Act to bring the club down for racketeering, he violently assaults Stahl. The young girl who witnessed Bobby commit murder provides the ATF with sketches of Bobby and Opie, who are subsequently arrested. Stahl sets up Opie to look like a rat, even though she knows it endangers his life, and Tig and Clay fall for the ploy. They believe Opie has turned informant when they find wire taps in Opie's phone and truck. Clay orders Tig to kill Opie without telling anyone else in the club; however, Tig accidentally kills his wife Donna while she is driving Opie's truck.
    Clay set up the shooting to look like the One-Niners shot Donna, protecting members of the club. However, feeling guilty, Deputy Hale tells Jax that Stahl set up Opie. Jax subsequently realizes that Clay organized the shooting.
    Tig, Happy, and Chibs find the witness to prevent her from testifying. Tig is about to kill her, but Jax has followed them and confronts Tig, putting a gun to his head. Jax threatens her and gives her enough money to leave California. Jax is clearly unhappy remaining under Clay's rule, as he sees Clay as immoral and taking the club from its roots.

Wikipedia also has individual entries for each episode in season 1, links here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sons_of_Anarchy_episodes#Season_1_.282008.29

But be warned: AVOID SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2 AND ONWARDS!
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Why are PickTV showing it? As far as I know it's never been on a sky channel, and it's on 5usa anyway?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the summary, Matt D!
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Why are PickTV showing it? As far as I know it's never been on a sky channel, and it's on 5usa anyway?
    I don't know why Pick TV are showing it, but we didn't get 5 USA on our tv until our local DSO and as far as I know, they haven't repeated season 1 since then so I may as well start at season 2. I love Adam Arkin and I hear he is in it.
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    The first few seasons aired on Bravo before moving to 5USA. Season 1-4 are available on Netflix UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Pick TV on Freeview are showing season 2 of Sons of Anarchy, starting this weekend. I haven't seen season 1 - would I be o.k. starting with season 2 or will it be difficult to understand what's going on?

I would advise you to watch S1 first, its almost impossible to really enjoy this show jumping in at S2. IMO its one of the greast shows ever and deserves the respect of watching it from the start as its very character driven.
    S1 is only a tenner on amazon for the DVD and only 13 quid for the blu ray, will be one of the best investments your make;)