Tim Finlay

radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
Forum Member
✭✭
What's he doing now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Last time I heard he was running a printing/photocopying shop/company in the local shopping centre, he also arranged the music for the centre. This was sometime ago though so I imagine hes doing something else now.
    I know he did a few of the Hull RSLs and last time I saw him he was in the pub I worked at with Steve Massam of Radio Humberside.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I heard he was running a printing/photocopying shop/company in the local shopping centre, he also arranged the music for the centre. This was sometime ago though so I imagine hes doing something else now.
    I know he did a few of the Hull RSLs and last time I saw him he was in the pub I worked at with Steve Massam of Radio Humberside.

That's sad (unless he is making good money from that shop). I heard him when he was networked in the evening across Hallam, Pennine and Viking. I thought he was destined for greater things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singing in a band as well at the moment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Hullboy wrote:
    Singing in a band as well at the moment!

I DJ'd at a function alongside his band the other week. They're called 'Mid Life Crisis' & Tim sings & plays guitar. They do covers of classic hits & they're pretty good! Tim also does a party game involving a body belt loaded with shots of Tequila! Rather fun!
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really rated him when he was on Radio Hallam and then on the YRN. I heard he got s**t on from a great height when Metro took over. Only what I heard though.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes good talented presenter when I heard him on YRN (Viking, Pennine & Hallam) in the late 80s & early 90s), although I was fairly young and didn't have my critical eye on many things then. ;)

I heard that he attended more than 1 interview for Radio 1 in about 1990-92. I don't know the truth in that though.

He did strike me as being good with musical knowledge and not the typical shinny, happy local commercial jock. His interviewing skills were pretty good too. I remember he had some good guests/musicians on the programme.

The only drawback was that the show was in mono on Pennine because of the cost of providing a stereo feed. Hallam didn't have that problem because what I heard was that with the help of a large yagi on Hallam's roof they just relayed a signal from 96.9Mhz. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Tim really was a much loved presenter.

Here is a compilation of clips I recorded of Tim Finlay on Pennine in spring 1988:

www.adamfi.co.uk/Tim_Finlay.mp3
    Forum Member
    I was once at a Viking FM roadshow in a supermarket where I used to live. Apparantly I was being too rowdy and loud like what spotty teenagers are and he said if I didnt be quiet he'd have security remove me!! Hahahah! Security by the way was an old grandad who sat on a chair in the corner! Anyway when Tim went Jon Culshaw came on and he appreciated my participation!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radamfi wrote:
    Wow, Tim really was a much loved presenter.

Here is a compilation of clips I recorded of Tim Finlay on Pennine in spring 1988:

www.adamfi.co.uk/Tim_Finlay.mp3

Sorry, but what's the big deal over this guy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once at a Viking FM roadshow in a supermarket where I used to live. Apparantly I was being too rowdy and loud like what spotty teenagers are and he said if I didnt be quiet he'd have security remove me!! Hahahah! Security by the way was an old grandad who sat on a chair in the corner! Anyway when Tim went Jon Culshaw came on and he appreciated my participation!!!

What were you doing living in a supermarket? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Hullboy wrote:
    What were you doing living in a supermarket? :)

Brown Sauce is always found in supermarkets. Just to the left of the tomato ketchup alongside the chutney selection. ;)
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flackers wrote:
    Sorry, but what's the big deal over this guy?

Now now be nice. He was really popular at the back end of the eighties as I recall. My loyalty was to Trent in those days but after 11 I'd have a furtive flick over to YRN to see what he was doing.
    I saw him at a Hallam roadshow with Sheffield legend Dave Kilner in Crystal Peaks car park in me teenage years! I always thought Hallam thought he was their answer to George Michael with the publicity shot of him in the white DJ with the undone bowtie!

Lived not a million miles from me in North Anston for a while I believe!

Annnnnnnnnndddddddd - that's all I can remember about Tim Finlay - thought he was a good night time jock though.
    Forum Member
    Brown Sauce is always found in supermarkets. Just to the left of the tomato ketchup alongside the chutney selection. ;)
    Cheesy gag alert. Cue drum and symbals .....and tune in and rip the knob off!

The supermarket was across the road from where I used to live silly. It was Leos on Holderness Road.
    Just cos Tim Finlay never tried to ban you! anyway, evenings havent been the same on Viking since he gave that show up. I believe he was the one who introduced Take That to the area in a school tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I believe he was the one who introduced Take That to the area in a school tour.

That says everything doesn't it !! :D He should have been strung up with piano wire for crimes against music for bringing them to the area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheesy gag alert. Cue drum and symbals .....and tune in and rip the knob off!

The supermarket was across the road from where I used to live silly. It was Leos on Holderness Road.
    Just cos Tim Finlay never tried to ban you! anyway, evenings havent been the same on Viking since he gave that show up. I believe he was the one who introduced Take That to the area in a school tour.

St Mary's College I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Tim Finlay only ever been on Viking or networked across the Yorkshire Radio Network?
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His evening show in 88/89 was on all three stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snossis wrote:
    His evening show in 88/89 was on all three stations.

Has he ever been on any other station (except RSLs) other than those three?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That says everything doesn't it !! :D He should have been strung up with piano wire for crimes against music for bringing them to the area.

That was a brilliant coup for Viking FM at the time....I was on the gold service! Steve King booked them to play a school assembly as part of their teacher of the year competition with Al Dupres & Cheryll Wilkinson on breakfast. By the time the winner was annouced Take That were big news...Great publicity for the station
    Forum Member
    Hullboy wrote:
    St Mary's College I believe.
    Yes, I think so, but they also came to Malet Lambert on James Reckitt Avenue. One of the fifth year lads hit Robbie Williams for being and I quote "a cocky Tw*t"!

Anyway, Tim is a legend. I think just picking and choosing your own music was a big part of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have some good guests as well. I remember an interview he did with Wendy James of Transvision Vamp.

Now she was a feisty one!
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm and tasty in her day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    tim is on kc fm 98.8 on sunday night 10.00 to 200 and he rocks , tim boot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    KCFM frequency is 99.8FM and yes Tim Finlay is doing a weekly show on there. Have a shufty at www.kcfm.co.uk
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been shunted around the Sunday schedule somewhat since the station opened, what's happening there? For a while Sunday breakfast, then afternoons and now late evenings.