Youview - quick question

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - and if it has been asked before (and if it is a dumb question!). If I buy the Humax DTR-T1010 YouView Smart 1TB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder am I able to record a programme from BBC iplayer to hard drive. Many thanks.

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that there isn't some kind of geeky way to achieve it, but everything possible has been done to prevent it.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    This is a similar thread from a couple of weeks ago. See Post #5 from flagpole: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835161
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    No but u can download progs in iplayer on a ipad and you might be able to airplay it via Apple TV...

Check out this youview vid of setting it all up for the first time...

http://youtu.be/C3TjYncD3y8
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Google get_iplayer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - a supplementary question..........if I missed a programme today the 7 day scroll back should be the answer presumably, i.e. I can watch it and copy to the hard drive on the unit?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can certainly watch it. Just go back to the point in the EPG where it was situated and press OK. If it is available on the appropriate catch-up service, it will have a 'play' icon (triangle facing right) next to it. Copying it to the hard drive is another matter. As far as I know, you can't do that.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can certainly watch it. Just go back to the point in the EPG where it was situated and press OK. If it is available on the appropriate catch-up service, it will have a 'play' icon (triangle facing right) next to it. Copying it to the hard drive is another matter. As far as I know, you can't do that.

Which is a rather pointless restriction?

you could have recorded the original live broadcast to your HDD, so what's wrong with you recording a catch up service to your HDD?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point, but as far as I know you can't. I may be wrong, of course. I'll give it a try a little later to see if I can (bit busy at the moment, though).
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From http://www.youview.com/support/kb/why-cant-i-record-a-programme-from-the-backwards-programme-guide

Why can't I record a programme from the backwards programme guide?

It's not possible to record Catch Up programmes. You can only record current or future listed programmes. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you start recording after a programme’s started, you’ll only record it from that point on.

If the programme is available On Demand, you can select and watch it from the backwards programme guide. But you’ll only be able to record it if it’s broadcast again in the future.

Longish discussion on the topic here
    http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/recording_downloading_on_demand_catchup_content
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    i think it could come later on as iplayed offer downloads via ipad etc... do all possible - a added 'iplayer' section in the 'my view' area.

I find its quicker to use the search function - ie for top gear, just press search - type t-o-p and top gear is highlighted - much quicker.

go back is handy if youve been told of a good programme, but dont know the exact name (ie 'it was on ch4 9 or 10pm last tuesday' said your friend, dave).

Overall its a top choice, only neg is theres no ability to export recordings and start up time is slow in high eco (power save on)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I think I won't end up by the Humax You View unit in view of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.........went for Humax but not the Youview one - this one: Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner with 1TB Recorder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slept on it and got Amazon to cancel. Now going for the YouView after all!!
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to be indecisive, but now he's not so sure ....

Other purchase options -LINK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was pathetic wasn't it - I will take that one on the chins! I am told that my area is not great for broadband speeds but still went with the YouView because the hard drive capacity was the same as the one I was going to buy. Well, that was my logic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to be indecisive, but now he's not so sure ....

Other purchase options -LINK

Can't immediately see how the £199 one differs from my one, but I can live with paying the extra £50.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be exactly the same.
    I got the HDR-FOX T2 (500gb - its plenty !) direct from Humax as Grade A stock at a good saving
    Really couldn't tell it from new !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough!
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place - and if it has been asked before (and if it is a dumb question!). If I buy the Humax DTR-T1010 YouView Smart 1TB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder am I able to record a programme from BBC iplayer to hard drive. Many thanks.

I think the answer is no. The box seems to access BBC Iplayer for Catchup and Ondemand. When it does so you are only allowed to play the programme, not record it. Possibly to force you to watch the additional material that comes with the programme. Someone may know a workaround.