[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! (series 2) Live Show #7 - The Semifinal

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the semifinal of this series of The X Factor: Mix It Up!

I hope you've all had a good day today, I sure did. Anyway, let's do an obligatory recap of what happened last show. The top six sang two songs each for the first time in the competition, one by an indie artist and one by a mainstream artists. The show itself was really good and there were multiple standout performances. Unfortunately, only four of the six acts could make it though to this week, meaning two of them had to be eliminated. Princes & Rogues were the unlucky act at the bottom of the scoreboard, while Nicola Marie and Black Ivory had to sing for survival one more time in order to get through. After an incredible tense deadlock situation, it was announced that Black Ivory had more votes and would be returning while Nicola was eliminated, leaving over 25s mentor Zak at a single act.

During tonight's semifinal, the top 4 will each sing two songs again. Round one will inject quite a bit of nostalgia and remembrance as the acts will tackle songs by deceased artists. Round two is a bit more uplifting, with acts singing songs by living artists, which means the mentors basically had free choice. After all four acts have sung twice, the lines will open and the DS public (including the judges themselves) will be able to vote for their favourite acts with the intention of getting them past that final hurdle. After all, the grand final is coming up fast, but unfortunately one of the acts that will perform tonight will not make it that far...

Before we kick things off, please allow me to introduce you to the judges and the fantastic four of The X Factor: Mix It Up!
Let's go back to some more classical intro music for tonight's semifinal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpR5vIR4uY

jackel1234 and the groups
Black Ivory
Good Question

unclekevo who has no remaining girls

jag02010 and the last of the boys
Ethan Boroian

Satanel and the last of the over 25s
Danielle Blakey

I only have Justin's comments, so I'd like to know whose comments I can count on as well. Judges, please confirm your presence.

Comments

• jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    *Walks in majestically to opening music*

seriously where do you get this epic entering music? :p
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm here to watch the Semi-Final, it should be a fun night I'm sure. :)
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackel1234 wrote: »
    *Walks in majestically to opening music*

seriously where do you get this epic entering music? :p

Off of a super-secret website called YouTube obviously. :p
    Forum Member
    Off of a super-secret website called YouTube obviously. :p

I have not heard of this website, I must find it! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All right, Zak will probably show up later this evening, and I don't have a clue where Kev is but seeing as he has no acts I'm not too bothered about that.

Kicking off tonight's show with a Delilah cover of a song by the amazing Minnie Riperton, it's sing-off survivors Black Ivory with Inside My Love!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvkgnm8jcyY
    Note: The vocals would be lowered at some of the higher bits that Patina will do as she has the highest range and best falsetto.
    Veronica: Two people, just meeting, barely touching each other
    Two spirits, greeting, tryna carry each further
    Two people, just meeting, barely touching each other
    Two spirits, greeting, tryna carry each further
    Cause you are one, and I am another one
    We should be, one inside each other

Patina: You can see inside me,
    Will you come inside me
    Do you wanna ride
    You can see inside me,
    Will you come inside me
    Do you wanna ride

Stephanie: Two strangers, not strangers
    Only lacking the knowing
    So willing, feeling
    Infinite growing
    Cause you are one, and I am another one
    We should be, one inside each other

All: You can see inside me,
    Will you come inside me
    Do you wanna ride,
    You can see inside me,
    Will you come inside me
    Do you wanna ride, inside my love
    Inside my love...
    Inside my love...
    Inside my love...
    Forum Member
    Black Ivory

I’m not even gonna deny how much trouble I had with you girls this theme as I had originally had two other songs already planned for this type of theme but after re-looking at the bad comments you girls got back last week for doing something similar to the songs I had planned I decided to go with something that would have a bit more of a mature feel. Delilah has great urban vocals that suit you girls really well and although the range in this song is very good, which is the main reason why I debated using this song choice, but then I realised how insane Patina’s higher range in and realised that this was fantastic for you girls! I know we’re probably going to get mixed comments (as per usual) but personally I thought that this was a fabulous performance! It showed a new side to you and proved why you were saved last week so go Black Ivory! It was brilliant girls in my eyes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Ivory - Inside My Love by Minnie Riperton

Ok, girls, this was your best performance in a long while. I actually think that Jack got the urban blend perfectly here - it was cool and edgy without being something that Good Question would perform. It's not my favorite song in the world, being a bit of a boring choice, but I understand how hard this theme was and I think that Jack got some really mystifying harmonies and nice trills in there. It got a lot more impressive and expressive at the end, at least, and some of those notes were just stunning. Overall, I'm actually looking forward to you all for the first time in a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls, what a way to kick off the show! Not to mention that this was a great comeback performance for them too! Are Black Ivory in your personal final three?

Up second, it's the last male contestant standing. Can Ethan Boroian do his mentor Justin proud by impressing you with Jamie Woon's cover of Wayfaring Stranger by Bob Dylan?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lq2k7rmjdY
    Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian

I am being super lenient with everyone this theme for obvious reasons that this was a tough theme. I think this was quite a pleasant performance, the vocals were a bit too soulful for my liking, it was also a tiny bit dull and didn’t have the edge we’ve had in your previous performances but again tough theme so I can’t really have anything against your mentor or anyone for this song choice. Overall it was a pretty fine performance and I think you handled this theme pretty darn well so props to you and your mentor for this song Ethan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan Boroian - Wayfaring Stranger by Bob Dylan (Jamie Woon cover)

Ethan, that was a beautiful performance. I think that we've finally found the perfect niche for you - just a nice blend of rich soul and powerful emotion - and, while this theme was tough, I think we did the best with it that we possibly could have. I know people might not be too enthused by this performance, though, so I am hoping that the combined strength of this and your next performance will be enough to get you through!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent comments for Ethan there, will he impress the panel more with his second performance later this evening?

Now it's finally time for a bit of true nostalgia. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Good Question who will be singing No Scrubs by TLC!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKV8uSX2nEQ
    Note: Joelle will do the main singing parts in this whilst Kristina will do the singing rapping whilst also harmonising occasionally with Joelle. Kristina will also do the rap that Left Eye does and sing together in the final chorus.
    Forum Member
    Good Question

YAY a somewhat upbeat performance and some nostalgia for Soppy ;) ! Again not gonna lie I had a bit of trouble with this theme with you girls as not many dead artists are female rappers and when I tried to find covers by female rappers and singers none of them really suited you so I decided to go in the end with the legends that are TLC! No Scrubs is a fantastic song and suited you girls to a tee with your singing rapping style, strong vocals and of course killer performing skills! You’re a really strong act and I remember how nervous I was when picking you at the start and now here we are with you girls just doing amazing performances week after week and just genuinely being a joy to work with! Bravo girls for an amazing first performance and I cannot wait to see your second performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question - No Scrubs by TLC

I love that Jack just took y'all old school and brought out literally one of my favorite jams ever. Predictable? Probably. But with not a lot of dead people to choose from, I'd prefer this over both a Tupac and a Whitney Houston song. I love the song, I think it works great for y'all, and ultimately, I don't see the GQ domination train stopping any time soon. Well done, ladies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments for Good Question there, but still a bit of a comeback from last week's rave reviews. Maybe they can impress with their upcoming second performance?

Closing off the first round of performances with a song from the deceased Mama Cass, it's Danielle Blakey singing Dream A Little Dream!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4T3tMkjRig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle Blakey – Dream A Little Dream by Mama Cass

Oh god, Danielle, this song is soooooo dull. I'm not terribly pleased with this, if I'm being honest. I know that the theme was hard, but right now, after three relatively current sounding performances, this kinda just fell flat for me. I think you sound hella dated, and not in a good way. I hope your next performance gets you back to the level of perfection you were at last show, because you were amazing then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackel1234 wrote: »
    YAY a somewhat upbeat performance and some nostalgia for Soppy ;) !

Nostalgia FTW! :D
    Forum Member
    Danielle Blakey

Hmmmm Danielle I wasn’t a big fan on this performance if I am 100% honest. I mean for this theme I think it was a decent choice but for me I didn’t really notice any compatibility between your vocals and Mama Cass’s vocals although with others I did see some compatibility i.e Ethan’s performance. I may be one of the few who think this (although when it comes to these opinions I always am) but I think it just wasn’t your most shining effort. I am sure though you’ll be able to pull it back with your second performance though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch, some not-so-good comments for Danielle there. A huge difference with last week's comments, which were very good. Will she be able to redeem herself with her second performance?

So, we've had our four nostalgic performances. In hindsight, the theme may have indeed be on the difficult side, but at least everyone will be able to make up for any mistakes made with the almost free-choice theme that is the counterpart of the nostalgic first theme. Round two is songs by living artists, and kicking things off once again are Black Ivory singing High On Your Love by Sharon Doorson!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_n1m6vhu4Y
    Veronica: You beat my drum, drum, drum
    And it’s dynamite
    You beat my drum, drum, drum
    And it feels so right
    I’m like a bomb, bomb, bomb
    Ready to explode
    Yeah, I’m on fire, on fire
    Tonight you’re gonna save my world
    Baby it’s there tonight
    You’re gonna light my world

All: I’m getting high on your love
    I’m getting high on your love

Patina: You’ll take me high, high, high
    Like a paper kite
    Up in the sky, sky, sky
    On a starry flight
    I’m like a bomb, bomb, bomb
    Ready to explode
    Yeah, I’m on fire, on fire
    Baby it’s there tonight
    You’re gonna light my world

Stephanie: I’m high on your love
    You make me fly on love
    You make me cry, you make me sigh
    You make me die for love
    I’m high on your love
    You make me fly on love
    You make me cry, you make me sigh
    You make me die for love
    All of my days I dream of you
    All of my nights I get high on you
    Giving me wings, that’s what you do
    Boy you make my dreams come true

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Ivory - High On Your Love by Sharon Doorson

Ok, Jack got two for two with you girls this week. This was right back to the kind of performance I wanted after Alive, and the direction that you all, quite honestly, should have been going down this whole time. For me, this just goes to show what a properly mentored girl group can do in this competition, and that is completely slay. You've been 100% on the money tonight, and I honestly think that you could be a surprise addition to that final 3 after these performances. Well done.
    Forum Member
    Black Ivory

HOLY SUGAR KEV AND JUSTIN BOTH LIKED YOU, ITS A MIRACLE (Kev isn’t here but he told me he liked this song for Black Ivory a while ago so I am taking that as a win :p )!!!! At last we get positive comments from them both we’ve done the impossible! Well this is basically what you girls are all about, slightly edgy urban style with a bit of pop thrown in there which is what I’ve been trying to do all series but finally managed to get Justin and Kev to both like it! I think that this was just an absolutely stunning performance and was so similar to your first performance at judges houses where you mixed both pop and urban elements together so well and I think that this performance was just so you it was unreal! Bravo girls on a stunning performance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I am loving that song right now! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing comments for Black Ivory once again! Have they indeed managed to do the impossible and with that propelled themselves into the grand final? That's up to the public to decide.

The last remaining male contestant is up next. Singing Wires by The Neighbourhood, it's Justin's last shot at getting to the final - Ethan Boroian!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcZ81SftVw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan Boroian - Wires by The Neighbourhood

Ethan, another amazing performance. I can't go on and on about how great you are for much longer, so I just want to urge people to vote and get you into that finale you so strongly deserve to be a part of. We've seen amazing performances from you week after week, and honestly, I couldn't think of an act I'd be more proud to see cross that finish line.
    Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian

Anyone else slightly turned on after this performance? No just me? Well Ethan again I thoroughly enjoyed this performance as not only are The Neighbourhood one of my favourite bands at the moment but the vocals were very well suited to you. It was sexy, had edgy vocals and had that whole indie vibe all around it as well and again was a really good performance. For me I didn’t like it as much as the Bastille song last week, although beating that is gonna be a battle in itself, but I think overall that this was a fabulous performance Ethan so bravo on that front!
    Forum Member
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    Oh I am loving that song right now! :D

Serious warning, do not listen to it more than once otherwise it will be stuck in your head for weeks on end :o