Wrath of the Titans

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this on IMAX 3D on Friday evening (which I have to admit, added a lot to it) and I'd be interested what other people think.

Personally I enjoyed it. If you take it for the nonsense that it is, and the liberties they take with Greek myths, it's spectacular stuff.
Waaa-yyy better than "Clash", with better 3D and effects.

Don't think it will do very well though at the Box Office, but it's a fun 99 minutes.

Can't help but admire a film that has Rosamund Pike(*sigh*) in a mini-skirted battle-dress, and has a climax where ...
Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson face-off against a mountain-sized lava man, with jedi knight powers. Great stuff!

Comments

• Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well seeing as the original grossed $493 million worldwide and they invested $150 million into a sequel, I presume the movie studio think otherwise about the films potential box office
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was this filmed with 3d carmeras ?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm almost sure it was filmed with 3D cameras, isn't that what the real 3D)) symbol is for ? Well this has that.

I went to see it last night and thought it was about as enjoyable as Clash, maybe a small bit better. Worthington is still a bit of a wooden character, but him aside, there's a few that make up for him. Bill Nighty is brilliant, only plays a short part but he's quiet funny.

So good cast, great visuals, leave the brain at the door and don't expect too much from this and you might just enjoy it!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Fun and Nonsense with great CGI.7/10

....... but Bill Nighy's Accent as Hephaestus, what was that all about.:eek:

And Rosamund Pike looked out of place, big time.:D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »

Can't help but admire a film that has Rosamund Pike(*sigh*) in a mini-skirted battle-dress

http://www.rosamund-pike.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4697&fullsize=1

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'm almost sure it was filmed with 3D cameras, isn't that what the real 3D)) symbol is for ? Well this has that.

"Real D 3D" is just the type of 3D technology that is utilized in cinemas (projectors, glasses, etc...), it doesn't mean that the film was filmed in 3D if the film states that on the trailer/poster, as is the case here as 'Wrath of the Titans' is also a 3D conversion just like the first film, although the director claims that he filmed it with 3D in mind, so even though it's not true 3D it should at least be better than the 3D seen in 'Clash of the Titans'.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw it yesterday, thought it was simply alright but nothing special.

Purposely watched it in 2D (avoid 3D at all costs),
    Thought it was slightly better then Clash, but not by much.

If you enjoyed Clash, you will enjoy this.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw it yesterday, thought it was simply alright but nothing special.

Purposely watched it in 2D (avoid 3D at all costs),
    Thought it was slightly better then Clash, but not by much.

If you enjoyed Clash, you will enjoy this.

I enjoyed Clash, not the best film but I thought it was OK. I thought wrath was the definition of dullness. Nothing happened, and when there was action it was all done with that pathetic shaky camera, quick zooms thing that everyone seems to think is cool nowadays. It just lazy action scenes as no one needs to do anything.

I couldn't wait to leave this film.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed clash but i found myself nearly falling asleep in Wrath.

It had a plot that was pretty thin and characters that i didnt care about at all.

Such a shame because Greek mythology has so much to give and this film does nothing with it.

Disappointing.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched CLASH last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it
    anf if WRATH is the same, i'll enjoy that as well!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell asleep watching the first one so I'll give this one a miss.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clash was the worse 3D conversion ever so much so a cinema usher told me he could watch it without glasses with no problems which would normally be blurred in a proper 3D film. Conversion films should be restricted to old films only not new films. If they have to do it for a new film then they shouldn't charge the same premium for 3D films. Blatant money making and is cheapening the whole 3D film making. If I had seen Clash as my first taste of 3D I would never paid out again. Slightly OT was John Carter a native 3D or conversion? I thought it wasn't the best 3D film but it was the Clash.

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Clash was the worse 3D conversion ever so much so a cinema usher told me he could watch it without glasses with no problems which would normally be blurred in a proper 3D film. Conversion films should be restricted to old films only not new films. If they have to do it for a new film then they shouldn't charge the same premium for 3D films. Blatant money making and is cheapening the whole 3D film making. If I had seen Clash as my first taste of 3D I would never paid out again. Slightly OT was John Carter a native 3D or conversion? I thought it wasn't the best 3D film but it was the Clash.

PJ

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was a terrible in 3D but I am sure that is "Real 3D" and not converted, but because most of it was shot at night then it made it unwatchable I took of the glasses and watched most of it with no effort.

John Carter was converted I believe though.
    Forum Member
    John Carter was converted I believe though.

Correct, 100% converted.

As for Wratch of the Titans ........... the writing was a touch better than 'Clash ...' but that's not saying much. Overall the writing was poor to mediocre, and the direction was pretty lousy too.

Worthington was awful as usual, as were some of the supporting cast. But Neeson, Fiennes and the lovely Rosamund Pike did their best with the poor material given to them, and even they appeared to be struggling with the poor dialogue at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Hollywood will never make a true Greek Myth film as anything that dark won't do good trade at the box office.

I'd love to see a proper Norse Myth film but sadly it won't happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fair to say that if you enjoyed the first one, then you should really enjoy this one too.

It has some nice action sequences, and it looks pretty impressive in 3D on an IMAX screen. So if you can afford to see it in 3D, it's recommended.

And as others have mentioned, Bill Nighy's accent is rather special indeed!

Review here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

....... but Bill Nighy's Accent as Hephaestus, what was that all about.:eek:

This completely put me on the back foot. I understand that for Ancient Greeks they have an eclectic bunch of accents, but Bill Nighy's just seemed wrong, why the hell did he put on a Yorkshire (ish) accent?

And even though many people seem to be saying if you liked the first one you will like this one, I can't disagree more sorry but it doesn't seem to be the case with me.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you get a blu ray disc it normally states if it is 1080p native or upscaled, they should do the same with these new upscaled 3D films so that people can make an informed choice as in might as well see it in 2D.

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    When you get a blu ray disc it normally states if it is 1080p native or upscaled, they should do the same with these new upscaled 3D films so that people can make an informed choice as in might as well see it in 2D.

PJ

there is a site, fakeorreal3D.com, that tells whether a film is native or converted, but I do agree that they should state it someone at the cinema or poster or trailer anywhere to give people a better idea.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Rosamund Pike, the ultimate "English rose", replace Greek goddess Alexa Davalos? What a bizarre piece of casting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    i think bill was channelling frank from shameless in this performance lol
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Why did Rosamund Pike, the ultimate "English rose", replace Greek goddess Alexa Davalos? What a bizarre piece of casting.

The only davalos I've heard of.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLSpm3q8q3o
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Saw this today and my god I was bored. There was no storyline unless I missed it completely.
    Forum Member
    People knock the Transformers films, but by god, in terms of story-telling and dialogue they are like Shakespeare compared to the two 'Titans' movies.

The CGI is much better too. :)