Vertigo in games

The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else experienced a sudden rush of dizzyness or an uneasy feeling when you're playing a game that involves heights.

For example the Assassins Creed game when youre at the top of a massive building and you adjust the camera to look down. Sends a shiver down my spine, maybe its because of how realistic games have become?

Or I may just be a very strange person :eek::D

Comments

• Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have randomly got it a couple of times when playing GTA IV and looking down from a high building, the camera does an odd swooping motion that gives a real sense of height,
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    My stomach has been known to roll over when doing high falls in Borderlands/Borderlands 2. Even knowing the character can't sustain any harm, and the graphics are cartoony, my stomach still rolls over with a long fall. The power of the mind, eh.

Regards

Mark
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now and then...although it has little to do with realism.

It usually happens for me in games where if you fall there's nothing to catch you....if there's ground below (as there usually is in AC) I'm fine.

Stuff like 3D Mario games where you're jumping between platforms or clouds (with infinite nothingness below you) always gets to me. Super Monkey Ball is another one... where the courses are suspended in mid-air and if you roll off or down a hole you plummet to your doom.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one that got me was in Mirrors Edge when you mis judge a jump and you fall off the end of a skyscraper. You can hear the air whistling past you and then suddenly...thud!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never felt it, but dont in real life.

The most amazing sensation was at the top of the comms tower in the new Tomb Raider, but that was enjoyable rather than dizzying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always an uneasy feeling on the megadrive sonic games, when sonic would fall off an edge to his death, i hate it

It was worse when i was kid, but i still fear looking over the edge when i'm high up
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get motion sickness with game like GTA and in buildings with FPS such as MW2, and I get vertigo with games like Tomb Raider on the radio tower.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember felling it a bit in certain areas of Tomb Raider, Dishonored and Portal 2 but it didn't bother me in any of the Arkham or Infamous games (not sure if it had to do with knowing that those characters can survive a fall/jump from any height).
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it a lot mostly on Assassins Creed games on those slim pointy very high towers :)
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Vertigo, but I get motion sickness on some FPS games.

On Half Life I used to get dizzy climbing stair wells too.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Seeing as it does affect some folks, myself included, I'm surprised no one's come out with a bungee jump simulator. Though I'd imagine the effect will wear off pretty rapidly the more you do it, especially in quick succession as your brain realises you're not actually doing it for real.

Regards

Mark
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get motion sickness with game like GTA and in buildings with FPS such as MW2, and I get vertigo with games like Tomb Raider on the radio tower.

Yes, the radio tower had me feeling really uneasy.
    I didn't like jumping into the water from the top on the open mountain is Far Cry 3 but that was mostly because I was scared there was a croc waiting for me. :o
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Ni No Kuni there is a place near the end where the stair case your running up turns upside down, as does ythe character so you have to control it upside down. In the end I had to put my head upside down because it was making me feel sick!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off the top of the Empire States Building in Spiderman.

And, of course, Assassin's Creed.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it too I think they should put more things like this in games. and you could have a chair that moves with the game. So if you were in a car the chair would bounce or some thing and if you fell it could tilt you forward probably health and safety though. Vibrating controllers are old now. Or a tv that blows cold air in your face when you are moving fast or there's a baddy or warm air if you are in the desert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Assassins Creed - highest Church in Acre

Uncharted 2 - hanging off a coach hanging over a cliff
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever happened to me in Mirror's Edge. Happened quite a lot too. :D
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After playing the Portal Games for over an hour i really needed a lie down!
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Best experiance i had with stuff like this would be with 3D only otherwise cant say i really felt queasy in normal 2D

Sonic generations in 3d has a level like a rollercoster where you running striaght down really high buildings and jumping across the sence of depth below is impressive.

Uncharted 3 had a section where drake is hanging from the very top of the ceiling light on a boat thats huge thats another one that got me
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InFamous had a few of those moments, when you climb to the top of a tall building right on to the top of the spire, then spin the camera around and look down...
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get motion sickness playing FPS if I drank the day before does that count?

Other wise butt clentching if I fall from a great height in a game
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I only ever got it on 3DS games, when something "pops out" of the screen.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to get really bad motion sickness but I've have not had it for a while now *touch wood* Some pound shop motion sickness bands got me through Portal.
    Now I make sure I'm not hungry before playing and take a break the minute I start feeling hungry. Because I think that helped contribute to the nausea feeling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever got that dizzy feeling playing Bioshock a few times which was odd.,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTA IV - The skyscraper in Manhattan that's scalable.

Just Cause 2 - When standing on outside of plane at 30,000 feet.

Skyrim - Some mountains had ledges you could peer over.