The Hangover 3

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't wait for this movie to come out. Does anyone know if this is going ot be the last one ever? Whta do you guys think it is going to be about? I can't see another wedding there done too many but should be a good movie dont think it be outstanding but worth a watch.

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst trailer ever. Looks about as funny as a dead rat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having just rubbished pt 2 in the 'last movie you watched' thread I'm amazed they think a third go has merit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Having just rubbished pt 2 in the 'last movie you watched' thread I'm amazed they think a third go has merit

Worldwide box office takings:

The Hangover: $467.5 million
    The Hangover Part II: $581.5 million

So yeah, i'd say that's why they feel a third go has merit. Whatever you think of the sequel, you can't deny that the series is a guaranteed money spinner, we're just lucky that the producers seem to realise that they can't keep it going forever and are ending it with the third film rather than running it completely into the ground with annual sequels (*cough* Paranormal Activity *cough*).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »

So yeah, i'd say that's why they feel a third go has merit. Whatever you think of the sequel, you can't deny that the series is a guaranteed money spinner, we're just lucky that the producers seem to realise that they can't keep it going forever and are ending it with the third film rather than running it completely into the ground with annual sequels (*cough* Paranormal Activity *cough*).

Ever heard of Friday The 13th The Final Chapter?
    Soon followed by "A New Beginning" and about another 5 after that.
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    Ever heard of Friday The 13th The Final Chapter?
    Soon followed by "A New Beginning" and about another 5 after that.

Yeah but they're horror films which tend to suffer more from unneccesary sequelitis (although i have to say that slasher films getting loads of sequels bother me far less as it's generally entertaining to see annoyingly stupid teens getting carved up by Jason/Michael/Freddy).

In recent years the only comedy series to have countless sequels is the American Pie series, but four of those were direct to DVD and so not "proper" sequels, and best ignored anyway. I think this probably will be the end of The Hangover series, especially since the budget keeps skyrocketing with each installment ($35 million for Part 1, $80 million for Part 2, and over $100 million for Part 3 due to the stars being bigger than they were back in 2009). There might be a "The Hangover: Reunion" type film in 10 years or so like what happened with American Pie last year, but i doubt we'll be seeing Part 4 in the next two years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but they're horror films which tend to suffer more from unneccesary sequelitis (although i have to say that slasher films getting loads of sequels bother me far less as it's generally entertaining to see annoyingly stupid teens getting carved up by Jason/Michael/Freddy).

In recent years the only comedy series to have countless sequels is the American Pie series, but four of those were direct to DVD and so not "proper" sequels, and best ignored anyway. I think this probably will be the end of The Hangover series, especially since the budget keeps skyrocketing with each installment ($35 million for Part 1, $80 million for Part 2, and over $100 million for Part 3 due to the stars being bigger than they were back in 2009). There might be a "The Hangover: Reunion" type film in 10 years or so like what happened with American Pie last year, but i doubt we'll be seeing Part 4 in the next two years.

The genre is irrelevant - no matter how insistent the producers are that "this is the end", it means nothing.
    Police Academy weren't horrors.
    Forum Member
    The genre is irrelevant - no matter how insistent the producers are that "this is the end", it means nothing.

I'm talking about recently though, and also the genre is relevent because comedy films do generally tend to spawn less sequels, in the past ten years i can't think of any examples of a comedy series that lasted longer than 3 movies (American Pie being the exception). Even the Saw films have ended for the time being. The last one of those films was in 2010 and there's no sign of them restarting that any time soon (i heard talk of a reboot, but it was just a rumour and nothing has come of it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's tricky because you could say audiences aren't as gullible these days with sequels and won't fall for anything beyond a "part 3".
    But maybe remakes are this generation sequels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess takings would have been even higher had it not been a stinker. I wonder how many people would risk a 3rd movie though.

But yes, you can see why a studio would fancy it
    Forum Member
    It's tricky because you could say audiences aren't as gullible these days with sequels and won't fall for anything beyond a "part 3".
    But maybe remakes are this generation sequels.

It does appear that franchises lately tend to peak with the third film before dropping off a cliff, both the Saw and Paranormal Activity films saw fairly steep declines in Box Office takings after the series high takings for their third installments, but obviously they were comparatively cheap to make and so even with the declines it was still worth producing more. And i agree with you about the remakes point, it does seem as thought audiences are more willing to accept a complete series reboot rather than endless sequels these days.
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I guess takings would have been even higher had it not been a stinker. I wonder how many people would risk a 3rd movie though.

I think that's where the studio is being clever with their marketing, even though the recent trailer underwhelmed many people, the fact that they're marketing it as the "final film in the trilogy" will inevitably get arses back in seats as it implies that this is a conclusion, even if the same people didn't particularly like the second film. Obviously not everyone who hated the second film will give it a shot, but i'd imagine that marketing it as the final film will result in a bigger box office than if they'd just left it as simply "Part 3".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's where the studio is being clever with their marketing, even though the recent trailer underwhelmed many people, the fact that they're marketing it as the "final film in the trilogy" will inevitably get arses back in seats as it implies that this is a conclusion, even if the same people didn't particularly like the second film. Obviously not everyone who hated the second film will give it a shot, but i'd imagine that marketing it as the final film will result in a bigger box office than if they'd just left it as simply "Part 3".

True enough. No one can polish a turd like a studio.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In view of the money it made, I've come to the conclusion that I must be just about the only one who found The Hangover a film without any merit whatsoever. I couldn't find a single redeeming feature in any of the characters and I didn't laugh once during the 30 minutes or so that I managed to keep watching it before I started fast forwarding.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Whta do you guys think it is going to be about?.

Probably exactly the same basic plot line as the first two.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of both 1 and 2 but I agree that the trailer for the 3rd that I have seen isn't very good. There's not much in it at all. I just hope another one is released nearer the time which will make it look better.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    End of the day the Hangover movies aren't ever going to be seen as classics so they may as well just keep milking that cash cow as the sequels are always going to be worth a watch.
    I personally disliked no.2 but will happily pay to see no.3.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member

Well.......... In many ways they were....... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the new trailer! So much better than the first trailer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks quite funny but I'm not a fan of how it is now the Alan and Chou films. The first one worked for me because they all worked together, all had their moments and just worked as a group. Now it just seems to be Alan at the front with Phil and Stu following him.

In the first they were all funny and all crazy in the situation in this one and the majority of the first Phil and Stu seem a lot more straight faced and mature but not due to character development, because Alan is the main funny guy.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks quite funny but I'm not a fan of how it is now the Alan and Chou films. The first one worked for me because they all worked together, all had their moments and just worked as a group. Now it just seems to be Alan at the front with Phil and Stu following him.

In the first they were all funny and all crazy in the situation in this one and the majority of the first Phil and Stu seem a lot more straight faced and mature but not due to character development, because Alan is the main funny guy.

I think its always been that way; Alan messes up and the others get entagled in his shenanigans and have to help him clear it up. The films have just gotten bolder, highlighting his actions more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I guess it'll be fun to watch though. But the first was legend (because the concept of the movie was fairly new). The second one I liked, but actually was exactly like the first one, hence the title. I think a third movie is bad idea, it's going to be just like the scary movie films, each one get's worse..
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I'm talking about recently though, and also the genre is relevent because comedy films do generally tend to spawn less sequels, in the past ten years i can't think of any examples of a comedy series that lasted longer than 3 movies (American Pie being the exception). Even the Saw films have ended for the time being. The last one of those films was in 2010 and there's no sign of them restarting that any time soon (i heard talk of a reboot, but it was just a rumour and nothing has come of it).

Scary Movie is on their 5th movie unfortunately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Haha I started looking for Hangover pictures, got on this website where they sell movie posters online, first poster I saw from the Hangover was Alan with his manpurse, laughed out loud in the office!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it - I thought it was good. Different, but still good.
    Surely the scene post-credits is there in case they do want to do another? I know they said they won't...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pretty disappointed by this movie. Some people found it funny.

The only bit I enjoyed came after the end of the movie.