2012 Olympics footy

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
Forum Member
Anyone thinking of registering interest for these? Could be a great experience (depending who's playing).
I'm confused as to how it works though -
1) Will there be a Team GB definitely playing, even if thats just a young England team with a few others?
2) How can you book tickets if you don't know the full fixtures? The 2012 website just says "Men's Peliminary Match Round 1" or something like that, in places I'd consider going (London and Manchester). :confused:
But that could be anyone. It could be great but still.

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a GB team is confirmed, it'd be odd to not have one for the year we host.

The tickets thing is a bit of a lucky dip, but it's the only way they can do it when releasing tickets early. It's common for knockout tournaments.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting if the British side turned out to be all English players and they had to play at Hampden.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the current England U21s plus 3 older English players. The Olympics is just after the Euros so I wouldn't expect all the star names to be there.

I'm not interested in going. The tickets are far too expensive for youth matches.

As a side note, if England can finish 3rd or better in this years U21s then they will be there on merit and not just as hosts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just a shame that they forget its the London Olympics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way is it forgot?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    There will be games at Wembley but I think he means they could use the other grounds in London, The Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc too. Why not?
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    surely bale will be in the team
    Forum Member
    I think he should be, great player :)
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i have registered but not sure what games I will apply for.

Some games are at Hampden as well
    Forum Member
    I wonder when we find out what the games are? Thats the thing thats putting me off at the moment, I'll register in April.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I wonder when we find out what the games are? Thats the thing thats putting me off at the moment, I'll register in April.

I dont think it will be till the end of the year as there are qualifiers till about November I think
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have applied for tickets for 4 games at Hampden. £40 for 4 matches and then back home before the Olympics officially start!
  • RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be games at Wembley but I think he means they could use the other grounds in London, The Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc too. Why not?

They always spread the Olympic football around various cities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could and should host ALL the games in London. They have more than enough stadiums to host a full tournament let alone a youth cup.
    Davey84 wrote: »
    surely bale will be in the team

Have you been living under a rock for the last few years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see the sense in spreading the football around. They've made winning 2012 out to be a victory for the nation rather than just London, and they're bringing a little bit of the Olympics to other parts of the country. They could enclose it within the capital, but it doesn't really matter if they don't.