Panasonic not auto-switching to Sky box

Am I missing something? Recently had a Sky HD box, connected via HDMI through HDMI3 on the Panasonic TX-P42G20B TV. The sound bar connects through HDMI1 (i think) as that has auto-switching - the user guide required the sound bar go through a specific HDMI.

I've got the tv set up to start up on AV (as opposed to TV) but it never does. Every time it's switched on either out of standby or from cold I have to manually select HDMI3 to get to the Sky o/p. Switching the Sky box on from s/by doesn't switch to it automatically. The Blu-Ray player does tho - put a disc in and before you can say Jack Robinson the TV is on it, like a flash.

Am I missing a menu option somewhere to get the Sky box as the default start-up mode and auto-switched? Does it only work through some HDMI ports?

Comments

• hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Recently had a Sky HD box, connected via HDMI through HDMI3 on the Panasonic TX-P42G20B TV. The sound bar connects through HDMI1 (i think) as that has auto-switching - the user guide required the sound bar go through a specific HDMI.

I've got the tv set up to start up on AV (as opposed to TV) but it never does. Every time it's switched on either out of standby or from cold I have to manually select HDMI3 to get to the Sky o/p. Switching the Sky box on from s/by doesn't switch to it automatically. The Blu-Ray player does tho - put a disc in and before you can say Jack Robinson the TV is on it, like a flash.

Am I missing a menu option somewhere to get the Sky box as the default start-up mode and auto-switched? Does it only work through some HDMI ports?

SkyHD boxes don't have HDMI-CEC so TVs won't autoswitch to them.

However Panasonic Plasmas autosense an input on HDMI1 so put your SkyHD box into HDMI1 and put your other kit on the other HDMI inputs. As long as they have CEC they'll still autoswitch - like your blu-ray player.

Another option is to put the soundbar on HDMI3 which has ARC (Audio Return Channel) - the G20 should route all the TV's audio to it automatically.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote: »
    SkyHD boxes don't have HDMI-CEC so TVs won't autoswitch to them.

However Panasonic Plasmas autosense an input on HDMI1 so put your SkyHD box into HDMI1 and put your other kit on the other HDMI inputs. As long as they have CEC they'll still autoswitch - like your blu-ray player.

Another option is to put the soundbar on HDMI3 which has ARC (Audio Return Channel) - the G20 should route all the TV's audio to it automatically.
    Thanks. My post was from memory but ARC rings a bell. I'll have another look tonight to see.

Cheers for that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    HDMI 1 should be sky

HDMI 2 should be sound bar as its the ARC

HDMI 3 should be blu ray player

On Sky remote press TV then HELP . then you can use the arrow keys beside select to go up / down the AV list . Then press SELECT
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDMI 1 should be sky

HDMI 2 should be sound bar as its the ARC

HDMI 3 should be blu ray player

On Sky remote press TV then HELP . then you can use the arrow keys beside select to go up / down the AV list . Then press SELECT

:o Niall's quite right re. HDMI2 - just rechecked on my G20. I think I might need another eye test......
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Press the down volume button on your TV set at the same time press av a few times on your tv remote. This will bring up Hotel Mode, you should be able to make changes there. Gotta love Panasonics.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote: »
    :o Niall's quite right re. HDMI2 - just rechecked on my G20. I think I might need another eye test......
    Cheers guys. 2 is the ARC - I knew there was one specific HDMI that the sound bar had to go to. Sky box on 1 now works as expected from s/b and cold start; firing up the blu-ray and switching it off again does the job too.

Thanks for the tips. Must be honest, I hadn't heard of HDMI-CEC.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tips. Must be honest, I hadn't heard of HDMI-CEC.

Everybody calls it different things - HDMI-CEC is the actual system, but manufacturers tend to call it 'something'-Link.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Having read this, I'm in the same boat, yet no clearer.

I have had a Sky HD box connected via HDMI to an older Panasonic Plasma (A PV500).

This worked nicely with Sky. Turn the TV using the Sky remote and it would default to BBC1 on Freeview. Press the Sky button on the same remote and the Sky box would switch on and the TV would change to the HDMI channel.

Yesterday I had a new TV delivered (TXP42GT50) and despite wanting to set it up myself the installer quickly whizzed through the menus before I had a chance to see what he was changing.

All seems OK (a little disappointed at the obvious rd cast to the screen) except the TV when in Freeview mode won't switch to HDMI when the Sky Box is switched on.

This is going to cause trouble when Mrs Sette finds that she has to use two remote controls.

Any one help? or is it a case of "I said it was an upgrade - I didn't say it would be better"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Having read this, I'm in the same boat, yet no clearer.

I have had a Sky HD box connected via HDMI to an older Panasonic Plasma (A PV500).

This worked nicely with Sky. Turn the TV using the Sky remote and it would default to BBC1 on Freeview. Press the Sky button on the same remote and the Sky box would switch on and the TV would change to the HDMI channel.

Yesterday I had a new TV delivered (TXP42GT50) and despite wanting to set it up myself the installer quickly whizzed through the menus before I had a chance to see what he was changing.

All seems OK (a little disappointed at the obvious rd cast to the screen) except the TV when in Freeview mode won't switch to HDMI when the Sky Box is switched on.

This is going to cause trouble when Mrs Sette finds that she has to use two remote controls.

Any one help? or is it a case of "I said it was an upgrade - I didn't say it would be better"

Hi from memory , if you go to av preference, and select on this should switch the tv to hdmi 1 for sky.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Jono, I'll investigate tonight.

If the Sky box is subsequeltly switched off, will the TV revert to Freeview?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Jono, I'll investigate tonight.

If the Sky box is subsequeltly switched off, will the TV revert to Freeview?

Yes it should, just like the old scart switching.
    Forum Member
    Yes. Just like a scart. Which is what I hoped would happen.

The Blu ray player does. Not the Sky box. I've looked at the manual but can't seem to find anything. It has been set up (not by me so I don't know how this was done) to supposedly switch to AV when it switches on and the Sky box is on - which is a poor substitute - but it doesn't do that either.

I guess I'll be getting the shop in to fix it.

Pity. I used to be able to do this stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Yes. Just like a scart. Which is what I hoped would happen.

The Blu ray player does. Not the Sky box. I've looked at the manual but can't seem to find anything. It has been set up (not by me so I don't know how this was done) to supposedly switch to AV when it switches on and the Sky box is on - which is a poor substitute - but it doesn't do that either.

I guess I'll be getting the shop in to fix it.

Pity. I used to be able to do this stuff.

To startup in HDMi rather than preview:

Go to > Menu > Setup > Other Settings > Power On Preference > Select AV. It will now open in the channel from which it was closed.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Emrys

I have played with the turn on to AV or TV.

Neither seem to have an affect.

I was hoping that if the TV is on BBC1 (for example) and you switch the Sky Box out of standby it would change the TV to the AV channel. If you switch off the Sky, then the TV would revert to BBC1

Thats what used to happen on the old Panasonic. I have spoken to Panasonic (not convinced I was speaking to anyone technical) and they say that the TV can't do this - which would seem to be a retrograde step.

However the Blu Ray player does change channel when switched on.

So a mystery. I have called the supplier and they seem to think it should (in contradiction of Panasonic) but need me to be in front of the TV.

So that will have to wait until tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Emrys

I was hoping that if the TV is on BBC1 (for example) and you switch the Sky Box out of standby it would change the TV to the AV channel. If you switch off the Sky, then the TV would revert to BBC1

Thats what used to happen on the old Panasonic. I have spoken to Panasonic (not convinced I was speaking to anyone technical) and they say that the TV can't do this - which would seem to be a retrograde step.

So a mystery. I have called the supplier and they seem to think it should (in contradiction of Panasonic) but need me to be in front of the TV.

Make sure sky box is in HDMI 1, its the only one that works with sky box., your dvd player will work with smartlink or what ever Panasonic call it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Thanks Emrys

Try switching your tv off with your tv's remote, then put Sky box in standby (amber) with the Sky remote. Now startup in the reverse order and hopefully all will be well.
    Forum Member

No mystery at all - essentially HDMI doesn't auto-switch - it's American, and they have never had auto-switching AV inputs like we did with SCART.

However, there is a system called CEC (developed by Sony/Panasonic) which adds auto-switching (and other stuff) to HDMI, which is why your BD player works (it's CEC compliant).

Sky boxes and Freesat boxes though don't do CEC, it's mainly BD players and Theatre systems.

As others have suggested though, Panasonic TV's do a crude 'auto-switching' on HDMI1 ONLY, so connecting the Sky box to HDMI1 should help - but it's not perfect.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel. That would explain the intermittency of switching, possibly.

I've gone through all the usual elimination processes. Plugged everything in to different inputs with different leads so have eliminated any lead problem.

Do you know how the crude switching works?

It only seems to work once for me. Whereas my previous Panasonic appeared to work flawlessly, and at will. It was using an HDMI lead as it was the only source I had.

I have spoken to the store. They seem to think it should happen every time I switch the Sky box off and on. It currently does this only once in each TV switch on cycle.

It actually isn't THAT much of a problem other than Mrs Sette now has to use two remotes, and isn't happy.

The store have said they would do a service visit, and bring a new TV just in case. But if it absolutely doesn't do it at will then I don't want to waste either their time or to inbox a new TV

I note that deep in the settings there is something along the lines of " recognise HDMI content" I assume this is the crude sensing to which you refer.

Appreciate the reply, have been a long time reader of your posts.
    Forum Member

Do you know how the crude switching works?

I note that deep in the settings there is something along the lines of " recognise HDMI content" I assume this is the crude sensing to which you refer.

It simply looks for a signal on HDMI1, and if it finds one it switches to that input.

It's a VERY useful feature, but might not always work as you wished - hence the ability to disable it in the menu.

So little gear does CEC, I wonder if there are expensive licensing issues? - or if it's just too complicated so adds an excessive amount to production costs?.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It actually isn't THAT much of a problem other than Mrs Sette now has to use two remotes, and isn't happy.

Get a universal remote control then she can go back to one.
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give an update, with an interesting, if not very succesful, outcome.

Have had the guys from Panasonic come to look at the TV.

They have confirmed what I already had discivered. The HDMI leads are all in working order, as is the equipmwnt.

There was a lot of head scratching, including two TVs working side by side.

If you have the Sky box connected to HDMI1 and no other equipment connected, the Sky box switched automatically to the HDMI channel, whenever you switch it on. Switch it of and the TV reverts to Freeview. Everytime.

However, if you connect anything else to the other HDMI inputs (and currently I only have other Panasonic products) then the auto switching on HDMI 1 for the Sky box stops auto switching.

Unplug anything connected to the other HDMI sockets and the Sky box resumes succesfully auto switching..

Switch off the Viera link on the TV and the Items connected to the other HDMI's and it still doesn't work.

Auto sitching on the Sky box only works if nothing else is connected to the TV.

And this was reporduced on two identical TVs. Looks like a possible glitch in the software.

As an aside (and thanks to the suggestion of getting a universal remote) you can access the AV inputs to chnage channel from the Sky remote control, by pressing "TV" and "Help". this brings up the HDMI / AV input menu and repeated pressing the "help" button cycles through the channels.
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give an update, with an interesting, if not very succesful, outcome.

Have had the guys from Panasonic come to look at the TV.

They have confirmed what I already had discivered. The HDMI leads are all in working order, as is the equipmwnt.

There was a lot of head scratching, including two TVs working side by side.

If you have the Sky box connected to HDMI1 and no other equipment connected, the Sky box switched automatically to the HDMI channel, whenever you switch it on. Switch it of and the TV reverts to Freeview. Everytime.

However, if you connect anything else to the other HDMI inputs (and currently I only have other Panasonic products) then the auto switching on HDMI 1 for the Sky box stops auto switching.

Unplug anything connected to the other HDMI sockets and the Sky box resumes succesfully auto switching..

Switch off the Viera link on the TV and the Items connected to the other HDMI's and it still doesn't work.

Auto sitching on the Sky box only works if nothing else is connected to the TV.

And this was reporduced on two identical TVs. Looks like a possible glitch in the software.

As an aside (and thanks to the suggestion of getting a universal remote) you can access the AV inputs to chnage channel from the Sky remote control, by pressing "TV" and "Help". this brings up the HDMI / AV input menu and repeated pressing the "help" button cycles through the channels.

I did suggest the TV and Help button earlier.

When you turn on the Panny , it will take around 30 seconds for my VT 30 to go to my sky box. Now that's from pressing tv on button , through the picture warming up & then freeview on to sky picture displaying

Now also is the Fact that panny tv will check for advert first on freeview ( you can switch this off ) , check the freeview menu display , and then it goes to AV 1.

Then if you have a USB hard drive etc attached for recording etc , this all adds up . As tvs get more complicated and the ability to do everything , then its a price to be paid.

How that does help you ? Not a lot !

Was there not a way that you could select Sky by pressing the Select Button and then the Green button together , which then allowed you to cycle through the AV menu ? This maybe worked with Scart though.

Once you get used to the Tv Help button , its hard to go back.

Incidentally on my Pannys , I can switch off the amount of the Options I see when in the AV menu. This can speed you up and make it wife proof, especially naming things
    Forum Member
    I did suggest the TV and Help button earlier.

Sorry Niall, I must've missed this
    This can speed you up and make it wife proof, especially naming things

I hope you typed that behind closed doors!

I have the delight of setting up the TB. Which at least I'll be able to do to my satisfaction now (a lot of settings were done before I had the chance to get to the buttons)

I tend to switch all the processing off - except I can't find out what "clear cinema" does. It doesn't seen to detract anything from the picture - is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I do have the C.A.T.S. switched off although the picture does look a little dull - but I guess thats no bad thing when a panel is new.

Trying to remember back to the old panel, which is a long time ago, I seem to remember some break in period though.
    Forum Member
    I just watch everything on THX setting. Picture is amazing.

Anyway try this !

put TV on standby . switch on TV using Sky remote , and when tv is switching on keep the Sky button pressed down on the remote. It will then go straight to sky channel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

Found this work around now my set starts up to my HDMI 1 input although you can set it for any input including AV i believe. http://rikravado.hubpages.com/hub/Hotel-Mode-Panasonic-Televisions