Driver Awareness Course Norfolk

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, following an accident, I have been offered to go on a driver awareness course. Anyone else done one under Norfolk council?

It says in the letter that you have to meet an acceptable level of standard - I presume you have to be half asleep to not meet this?!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the same as speed awareness course? I did a session at the UEA Sportspark a couple of years ago :o
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Is that the same as speed awareness course? I did a session at the UEA Sportspark a couple of years ago :o

No it's similar I guess, but it's no the speed one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually called 'Driver alertness' - you have a practical part too, anyone know what this consists of and what you have to do?
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    My cousin did the all day one in Norwich after having (causing?) an accident.
    The morning was like the speed awareness course, then in the afternoon they went out driving with an instructor. She found it very helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    My cousin did the all day one in Norwich after having (causing?) an accident.
    The morning was like the speed awareness course, then in the afternoon they went out driving with an instructor. She found it very helpful.

Oh really? I'm worried you can fail it somehow though?
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I'll have to check with her.
    She was glad she did it as she hadn't realised how many bad habits she'd picked up after 20 years driving! :-)
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Oh really? I'm worried you can fail it somehow though?

My neighbour went on one in Norwich a week ago, said it was good and he learnt from it. Don't be late as you fail straightaway. If you don't pass after course according to my neighbour you shouldn't be driving anyway.:D
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on one a few years ago but it was a two day course, and yes one old gentleman did fail as he had no interest in the course and was told not to attend the second day, his details were passed back to the police as having failed the course. The first day was theory and watching films and the practicle was day 2 where we had to give a drive. Not a bad course all in all.
    Dave
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Hi all, following an accident, I have been offered to go on a driver awareness course. Anyone else done one under Norfolk council?

It says in the letter that you have to meet an acceptable level of standard - I presume you have to be half asleep to not meet this?!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Were you half asleep when you caused the accident? Just wondering;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    My neighbour went on one in Norwich a week ago, said it was good and he learnt from it. Don't be late as you fail straightaway. If you don't pass after course according to my neighbour you shouldn't be driving anyway.:D

Ah ok, so it's a pretty simple course then right?

No tests or anything?
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been on a safety awareness course 2 days ago after I got a speeding ticket on a dual carriageway which I thought was 40 mph speed limit (it was 30)

It was a very good course - you can't actually fail unless you dont turn up or skip out after the break. They are employed as a service provider by the police - the first thing they did was to say they weren't there to tell you off etc... They dont do practical (out on roads) any more due to cutbacks, all classroom based.

I actually really enjoyed it - and learnt a lot - certainly won't be making a speeding mistake again!