Can I convert a Sata Blu-ray drive to HDMI ?

Hi all,

As the title states, I was wondering if it was possible to convert an internal Sata Bluray drive to an external drive that can be plugged into the HDMI on a TV ?.

The reason I am asking is because I have a blu-ray drive inside my media center PC in the living room, which isn't doing anything as I currently watch all of my Blu-ray films through my PS3. The thing is that I am going to be linking the TV in the bedroom to the home network via homeplugs, so that I can watch media stored on the media center PC whilst in bed, but would like to watch blu-ray films whilst in bed, but don't want to get another blu-ray player, if I don't have to. As far as I am aware the blu-ray player in the computer wouldn't work over DLNA like the files on the PC & assume that streaming it over the to the TV in the bedroom, isn't possible either. :confused:

Can anyone here advise ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if it was possible to convert an internal Sata Bluray drive to an external drive that can be plugged into the HDMI on a TV
    No, that's not going to work.

You could rip the Blu-ray disks and store the files on your server, but that's another discussion.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit more complicated than simply doing a connector conversion. There is a whole bunch of electronics required to do simple things like give you a PLAY button. Not to mention all the video and audio decoding that would be required.

To be honest you can get Blu-Ray players for 40 quid from the likes of Richer Sounds. Which is likely to be a shed load cheaper than any box of tricks you can plug a PC drive into to do the same job. Not to mention simpler.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i think you stand more chance of streaming the internal drive over dlna than converting it to a bluray player. you can get caddys/media players that take a sata hdd so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you could get one to take an optical drive, but i've never heard of one.

maybe look in to something that removes the protection like anydvd. though the bitrate is very high (40Mbit) for streaming.

honestly the best answer may be low tech. buy a bluray player for £50.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, I have used anydvd before for the media center computer before I had the PS3, as my graphics card isn't fully HDCP compatible, so had to remove the protection, to even be able to watch it on the TV that it was connected to. I will have to just wait awhile and get blu-ray player for the bedroom. As it is mentioned, they are quite cheap, but I may save a little bit more & get one that can play 3D, The TV in the bedroom is 3D, so may as well take advantage of the 3D part every so often.

I am tempted to looking into the streaming over DLNA, just to see how it is. :o
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    basically asking if you could hook a record player turntable up to the speakers directly - you would need an amplifier between the two to produce any sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

As the title states, I was wondering if it was possible to convert an internal Sata Bluray drive to an external drive that can be plugged into the HDMI on a TV ?.

The reason I am asking is because I have a blu-ray drive inside my media center PC in the living room, which isn't doing anything as I currently watch all of my Blu-ray films through my PS3. The thing is that I am going to be linking the TV in the bedroom to the home network via homeplugs, so that I can watch media stored on the media center PC whilst in bed, but would like to watch blu-ray films whilst in bed, but don't want to get another blu-ray player, if I don't have to. As far as I am aware the blu-ray player in the computer wouldn't work over DLNA like the files on the PC & assume that streaming it over the to the TV in the bedroom, isn't possible either. :confused:

Can anyone here advise ?

Many Thanks
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It's a bit more complicated than simply doing a connector conversion. There is a whole bunch of electronics required to do simple things like give you a PLAY button. Not to mention all the video and audio decoding that would be required.

To be honest you can get Blu-Ray players for 40 quid from the likes of Richer Sounds. Which is likely to be a shed load cheaper than any box of tricks you can plug a PC drive into to do the same job. Not to mention simpler.
    flagpole wrote: »
    i think you stand more chance of streaming the internal drive over dlna than converting it to a bluray player. you can get caddys/media players that take a sata hdd so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you could get one to take an optical drive, but i've never heard of one.

maybe look in to something that removes the protection like anydvd. though the bitrate is very high (40Mbit) for streaming.

honestly the best answer may be low tech. buy a bluray player for £50.

Cheapest DLNA player at RS

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/toshiba/bdx4350/tosh-bdx4350

it's a gift, spec-wise :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Cheapest DLNA player at RS

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/toshiba/bdx4350/tosh-bdx4350

it's a gift, spec-wise :)

Thanks for the link that looks a good player.