Three Like Home: New roaming plan (Three UK)

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Three will be launching their new roaming plans end of the month.

Feel like home from three
  • Available for pay monthly, pay as you go, mobile broadband and business
  • works on all tariffs and on all networks in Austria, Australia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, ROI and sweden
  • calls and texts to the uk are under existing uk allowance
  • Data roaming included in allowance
  • No charge to recieve a call when abroad
  • calls/texts to non uk numbers charged at standard rate
  • fair use of 25GB roaming data when abroad if on ayce

Launches officially end of the month
Currently in trial stage for ALL customers

You heard it here first ;)
I got told last night and confirmed this morning by someone who works in telesales. Also Europe plan/more countries being worked on for 2014

Comments

• Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will you have to pay anything like vodafone Eurotraveller?
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news! Look forward to using this. Big plus that it works on all networks as well. And more country's coming soon in 2014 is a big plus. Wish it was sooner though as I'm going to malta in November.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    And more country's coming soon in 2014 is a big plus. Wish it was sooner though as I'm going to malta in November.

Just to say, that's not confirmed. Only what I've been told.
    Will you have to pay anything like vodafone Eurotraveller?

No. Its included in all price plans. It just comes out of your mins.

So for example, I have 2000 mins and 5000 texts on my plan. So if I go to hong kong I can use those 2000 mins and texts
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

So for example, I have 2000 mins and 5000 texts on my plan. So if I go to hong kong I can use those 2000 mins and texts

That sounds like a good deal as with Vodafone you pay £3 a day to use uk allowance. I think 3 are really going to shake up the market but I can't see me switching to them though.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Not as good as the EE roaming tariffs though...
    Forum Member

I never said it was....

Although the fact it includes data roaming, doesn't cost £10 extra and is for all customers on all tariffs is a plus.

But yes, it does have some negatives that EE have turned into positives such as working in a larger amount of countries.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If im on the one plan on contract can you get this as an add on? or is it like a whole new plan where by you have to wait until your contract is up and then switch to it?
    Forum Member
    Yeh...

Ive said it twice now, its included in all price plans free of charge. Those 2000 mins and texts and data will work in any of the countries listed above at no extra cost.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a good deal as with Vodafone you pay £3 a day to use uk allowance. I think 3 are really going to shake up the market but I can't see me switching to them though.

Which seems reasonable at first but a fortnight away soon adds to your bill. I agree this does seem like a good deal indeed, small allowing.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, yeah! I rather pay at least £21 for EE SIM only plus £5 for the roaming plan plus let's say £12.50 for 250MB data, instead of £12.90 and nothing extra in the countries mentioned (hopefully more next year) to use my UK allowance.
    And please don't compare it to what YOU pay for YOUR contract!
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Ahh ok, although I'm sure this is the way three would like to take it in the future. Especially with the EU wanting to get rid of roaming charges.
    Forum Member
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    Ahh ok, although I'm sure this is the way three would like to take it in the future. Especially with the EU wanting to get rid of roaming charges.

Yup. I just don't want to say that it is going to happen in H1 2014 and then Three don't do anything. 2014 is a long time away and a lot of things can change so i'm just going to say it's possible more countries (read europe) will be added.

I was told yesterday about the plan details from a friend who said it'd be officially launching end of the month. I rang telesales this morning who pretty much confirmed everything. They also mentioned the August 27th date which was mentioned by another forum member here a few days ago.

But so far i've been correct about a number of things related to Three based on the quote below, the majority of which i posted back at the end of June.
    More interesting data people at three have told me.

Three added over 200,000+ customers since Jan 1st this year taking their current customer base to over 9.2m.

Three have over 13,500 masts as of the end of Q1 2013 and will be aiming for a further 5,000 by 2015.

Three have 98% HSPA+ coverage and 85% DC-HSPA+ coverage

4G will be free for all customers and will launch in November (Phase 1).
    VoLTE is phase 3.... (When Samsung roll out equipment)
    Roll out in two stages, stage 1 in November, Stage 2 in December.
    Three will have over 1 million customers with a 4G ready phone at launch. (largest 4G userbase)

Three will be launching a voice over Wi-Fi app in the future. Similar to O2's TU GO and Oranges wi-fi app. (Q4 2013)
    Other networks will be releasing similar solutions this year as well.

Three are going to be changing up their mobile broadband range and launching new Dongles and Mi-Fi's from the ZTE MF8/9xxx range. Could launch in September.

Three will launch new roaming plans soon. Similar to Three like home. (September)

Pony advert making a Christmas themed return.

New Sim Only One plan pricing + PAYG 321 launch-
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmpqt24wfd5y7f2/IMG_20130629_085448.jpg
    (Picture from Three store guide book thingy i was shown)

To combat increased data usage Three will be implementing traffic sense in throttling P2P during peak times (3pm-12pm) and traffic managing tethering on heavy users during peak times (3pm-12pm). Unlimited data and tethering with no fair use policy will remain on the One Plan though. Unlimited data with no tethering will remain on the "ultimate" tariffs.
  • Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Just a shame that it doesn't include the traditional European holiday destinations, that would have been a great game-changer.

If the £5 a day European bolt-on remains for those destinations cost is basically prohibitive.

C'mon Three, if you're going to do it, do it properly!
  • YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Just a shame that it doesn't include the traditional European holiday destinations, that would have been a great game-changer.

C'mon Three, if you're going to do it, do it properly!

Initially the plan would appear to be only for those countries which already have a Three network presence. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe for more details.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Interesting, Three launched "3 like home" in 2007 and then withdrew it in 2009. I wonder why they feel they can bring it back now?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Oh, yeah! I rather pay at least £21 for EE SIM only plus £5 for the roaming plan plus let's say £12.50 for 250MB data, instead of £12.90 and nothing extra in the countries mentioned (hopefully more next year) to use my UK allowance.
    And please don't compare it to what YOU pay for YOUR contract!

I was merely stating a point. For the frequent European/USA/Oz traveller, it's a poor offer.

No need to get arsey about it, is there? :rolleyes:
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still people would have to pay quite a bit more per month on EE. Like always it's down to the customer's needs. If you are a frequent traveller to non Three countries, obviously EE is better. Otherwise Three is better. In your first post you didn't mention it's a poor offer for frequent traveller, you just said it's not as good as EE.
    And it has nothing to do with being arsey, but in a different thread it was exactly what you did, compared something to what you pay as an EE employee.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    Interesting, Three launched "3 like home" in 2007 and then withdrew it in 2009. I wonder why they feel they can bring it back now?

Because next year new rules come into force to end European roaming charges. I guess Three wants to get ahead of the game and establish themselves as one of the first to start killing off EU roaming charges, and to have gone a bit further too.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a490095/eu-to-scrap-mobile-roaming-charges-in-2014.html

Obviously it'll cause a massive hit to those big networks like O2 that make a fortune from European visitors roaming here, and from selling throughout Europe. It'll massively hit O2's revenue as so much of it comes from voice traffic and so much less of their revenue comes from data revenue.

The tables are-a-turning:D, others have low frequencies now, everyone will have LTE, data is king.
    Forum Member
    Launch date confirmed as 27th of August
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Obviously it'll cause a massive hit to those big networks like O2 that make a fortune from European visitors roaming here, and from selling throughout Europe. It'll massively hit O2's revenue as so much of it comes from voice traffic and so much less of their revenue comes from data revenue.

The tables are-a-turning:D, others have low frequencies now, everyone will have LTE, data is king.

I think that is where the big boys are trying to justify the extra premium, it is becoming hard and harder to extract more money from the European consumer. I suppose thats why we find networks using the RPI rule to push up the cost of contract prices mid-term. I expect over the next 24 months there will be a levelling out in 4G prices as the networks struggle to get people to upgrade to service.
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How so? I thought with EE a fiver would have got me just 50 non-eu mins?

I am going to America in November. Are you saying for £5 I can use my minutes and data over there?
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish turkey was in there, as I'm going there next week :(
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yeah, wish Greece was there as well. Going there next month:mad:
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yeah, wish Greece was there as well. Going there next month:mad:
    Just pay up you tight git!
    Forum Member
    It's good to see Three taking a step in the right direction and adding in a roaming package that includes minutes, texts and data. That's something they (and other networks) have been lacking for a number of years.

It certainly is an unbeatable deal if you look specifically at the countries mentioned. The good thing is that Three offer their feel like home package across all tariffs including pay as you go and mobile broadband without the need to pay extra. Something that other networks haven't fully covered. But 7 countries really isn't enough. Especially when you consider that Three don't offer anything other than standard rate in other countries.

This is where other networks have it covered, for example Vodafone have their Euro traveler, EE have their excellent minutes and texts roaming packages and O2 have their travel package.

It would be good to see Three expand this plan (or a similar plan to Vodafone) in other countries. It seems they may expand into more European countries in H1 2014 but it's all in the planning stages right now.

I think next year is going to be interesting once the new EU roaming regulations come into place.