Extended Warranty

Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi , Had a new Electric Cooker fitted yesterday, On it was a sticker saying register free for 5yr parts Guarantee. So I did, what it really was was a hard sell to get me to sign up for extended Warranty and get my card details. I declined to pay any more than the purchase price. What do you think I should have done?.

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Hi , Had a new Electric Cooker fitted yesterday, On it was a sticker saying register free for 5yr parts Guarantee. So I did, what it really was was a hard sell to get me to sign up for extended Warranty and get my card details. I declined to pay any more than the purchase price. What do you think I should have done?.
    Was it Hotpoint? I've got a couple of their products and both had the same 'free' guarantee. I was able to register them both on-line though, so there was no opportunity for the company to try to try to persuade me to upgrade. What should you have done? I don't think anyone can answer that. It all depends on what the extended warranty offered, and how much any work not covered would cost you compared to the cost of the warranty. I have extended warranties with D & G for said products because at the moment, the cost of replacing them is far higher than the cost of the (combined) warranty. As the two amounts get closer, I probably won't renew them.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Almost all warranty registration go to D&G, so they can try and sell you an extended warranty - presumably D&G pay the manufacturers for doing this, or as a minimum process their warranty registrations for free.

However, as far as a five year parts warranty goes it's rather a con - they simply charge a completely outrageous labour charge, so you end up paying as much anyway if it goes wrong.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you looked at the sticker, realised what it was for, THEN contacted them to decline paying for the thing you contacted them for???

wasted time there ..... instead of cooking stuff on it :D
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    so you looked at the sticker, realised what it was for, THEN contacted them to decline paying for the thing you contacted them for???

You're only confused because you didn't read the post properly - he rang to register the 5 year parts warranty (which is why it's better to do it on-line, if you can).

If you don't register you only get the basic 1 year warranty.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbour had a 2 yr old Hotpoint washing machine and contacted them when it went wrong. Their parts may have been "free", but the cost for the repair was over £100 for about 40 mins work.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're only confused because you didn't read the post properly - he rang to register the 5 year parts warranty (which is why it's better to do it on-line, if you can).

If you don't register you only get the basic 1 year warranty.

But of course goods in the UK are under the sale of goods act.

If a product like a cooker stopped working after 1 yr and 1 day, i would expect the seller to repair or replace the product.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a Siemens. So far as I know, they are the only appliances with completely free 5 year warranties*. I have a washing machine and dishwasher and somehow I don't think I'll be needing repairs.

*The German made ones - they do differentiate.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »

Most Extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

Consider the law requires that for a year it should work - and how many failures do we really see. There is a reason why the parts guarantee is for 5 years - because having analyzed the failures of their own product - there are hardly any failures up till that time - in which case while one might fail within that time - odds are it will not.

I once did a job working for a box shifter and their was considerable pressure to sell these insurances because the store made so much money from them.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have extended warranties on some of our products. Cooker, washing machine and tv. Our washing machine was 8 years old and had broken down no less than 4 times within those 8 years but the fourth and final time D and G offered us a brand new one (Hotpoint wml6551). I know a lot of people say that extended warranties are a con or waste of £ but it's peace of mind isn't it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all warranty registration go to D&G, so they can try and sell you an extended warranty - presumably D&G pay the manufacturers for doing this, or as a minimum process their warranty registrations for free.

However, as far as a five year parts warranty goes it's rather a con - they simply charge a completely outrageous labour charge, so you end up paying as much anyway if it goes wrong.

We got a local store that sells appliances and they have free labour warranty, you just pay for the parts, which is pretty good.
    They say it is for life, but there have to come a time when the unit is not worth repairing

These days unless you pay for a high spec unit, most of them are throw away and buy new.

My Dad got a washing machine for a couple of hundred quid 4 years ago, it gave up a couple of months ago, not worth fixing. he will get a replacement at some point, but my sister is doing his washing at the moment, so not worth buying a new one yet
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    We got a local store that sells appliances and they have free labour warranty, you just pay for the parts, which is pretty good.

Just like the five year parts warranty, they will include labour costs in what they charge for the parts - unless of course you're talking about an extended warranty?, where you're paying for the 'free' labour in that?.

But in either case, with 'free' parts or labour, the portion you pay for needs to be reasonable and not pay for the 'free' part.
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    But of course goods in the UK are under the sale of goods act.

If a product like a cooker stopped working after 1 yr and 1 day, i would expect the seller to repair or replace the product.

You have legal rights under the SOGA, it's your option to exercise them or not - but I suggest you try reading what it actually says (or talking to Trading Standards about it).
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

Consider the law requires that for a year it should work - and how many failures do we really see.
    There is a reason why the parts guarantee is for 5 years - because having analyzed the failures of their own product - there are hardly any failures up till that time - in which case while one might fail within that time - odds are it will not.

I once did a job working for a box shifter and their was considerable pressure to sell these insurances because the store made so much money from them.
    BIB - Not necessarily. Extended warranties don't usually only cover parts failures, they tend to cover any situation when the appliance simply 'stops working'. I've made use of mine once for each of my products. On both occassions, no part had failed, there was just a blockage or a fault code or something that needed clearing. I daresay the cost of getting an engineer out for one of those times would be almost as much as I paid for the warranty on both products for un-limited call-outs.