Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say hello; I joined about a week ago and have been diligently reading through! I may lurk for a while until I drum up something intelligent to say; in the meantime, just wanted to say I'm so glad to have found this forum. (Although it doesn't do much to cure my debilitating Martin Clunes addiction, I'm afraid.) :)

Welcome to the forum. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll online on http://www.docmartinonline.net/ - what do you think DM's fitness routine is?

Thanks to Yvonne for the suggestion. :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say hello; I joined about a week ago and have been diligently reading through! I may lurk for a while until I drum up something intelligent to say; in the meantime, just wanted to say I'm so glad to have found this forum. (Although it doesn't do much to cure my debilitating Martin Clunes addiction, I'm afraid.) :)

Hi largeincharge. GREAT name!! It took me 3 months to read through the forum when I first discovered it. Good luck :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    New poll online on http://www.docmartinonline.net/ - what do you think DM's fitness routine is?

Thanks to Yvonne for the suggestion. :):):)

DM is a bit of a hypercrit on the exercise front isn't he? Although he does eat well...couscous and no bickies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Hmmm. I thought it was her room (that she had moved into a smaller room to convert larger rooms into guest rooms for her B&B. I thought the pictures on the bedside were of Martin (standing stiffly) and Ruth, or Ruth a few years earlier. They are the only members of her family left that she cared about, yes?

Yes..that could be it also. In fact, would there be pictures of Martin's parents anywhere? Joan hated them too. She would have put them away by now if they were his parents pictures. I think it sad that Joan was in a small room like that with a single bed. But moving to make room for the renters would make sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes..that could be it also. In fact, would there be pictures of Martin's parents anywhere? Joan hated them too. She would have put them away by now if they were his parents pictures. I think it sad that Joan was in a small room like that with a single bed. But moving to make room for the renters would make sense.

It's Joan's room. I think there are actually two single beds in there. Wasn't the baby gift DM picked up on the other bed? Or maybe I saw a second bed in a later S5 episode. We see later in the series that Ruth uses the same room & small bed. As for the nightstand photos, one is definitely DM standing straight and stiff and tall. Looks to me like the other one is Ruth, but possibly at a slightly earlier age.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    Great story, Mona.:) I just spent the greater part of my afternoon reading it straight through. You have the characters spot on. It's interesting how you incorporated some of the analysis that's on DS into your story. Really liked all the chapters being put on FF at once. Well done! :)

Thanks, Portwenn59!

So glad you liked it! There's no way I can put up one chapter at a time. When I write it all kind of pours out, and some of the later info requires me to go back, oftentimes more than once, and adjust the previous plot to keep it all congruent, and sensible. I'm amazed at those who write one chapter and post it, moving on to the next. My story would be an unconnected mishmash if I did that!
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I, too, welcome you. Ahh, the last thing this forum will do is cure you of your debilitating Martin Clunes addiction. But, you will not care - you are in the picturesque seaside village of Portwenn with its cast of wonderful characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome, largeincharge! No need to lurk. If I had waited until I had something intelligent to say, I wouldn't have posted anything yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member

Welcome aboard, largenincharge! Just jump right in!! :)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I, too, welcome you. Ahh, the last thing this forum will do is cure you of your debilitating Martin Clunes addiction. But, you will not care - you are in the picturesque seaside village of Portwenn with its cast of wonderful characters.

Welcome! I'm afraid that, if anything, it will increase the severity of your symptoms. I have just been here a few months and I know that is my experience. I think the most popular word I have seen here to describe him is "adorable"!

Speaking of our favorite actor, someone has posted the Jubilee Horse Show on YT. I think this was the most entertaining of all of the activities I watched for the Jubilee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VofDykBJhKE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the love, everybody!! Good to be here! I recognize some of your screen names from the fan fiction site....where I spend entirely too much time, reading and dreaming...:)

Is anyone here planning on a pilgrimage to Port Isaac next spring/summer for filming? Have any of you gone before? I've started saving my pennies, and I really hope to go. If anyone has been and has any advice or helpful tips, it would be greatly appreciated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Yes, that was me--Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine by George Gould, A.M., M.D. and Walter L. Pyle, A.M., M.D. (1896) published by The Julian Press 1956. I am going to read your fanfiction tonight! My husband bought that book, used, before we were married and my three children when they were young loved to read through it. One of the first things they mentioned to me after he passed away a few years ago was "Don't give away that book!". In fact, I am quite sure he used it one night when he taught religious instructions one night a week early on in our marriage. The boys in the class didn't want to be there, being forced to attend by their parents. One night one of the boys was teasing another in the class and said that he probably caught ........(using a slang expression) meaning a sexually transmitted disease. My husband then stopped and asked them if they knew what could happen to them if they had unprotected sex, left untreated, they did not. The following week he brought in this book and explained and showed them the consequences--of course, that was way back when--treatments probably unavailable as they are now. The following week my husband quit teaching and told me they had no interest in the religious class. I was disappointed at his decision, as I think he could have incorporated both practical knowledge and religious instruction.

Yes, that is too bad that your husband quit teaching that religious class. Sounds like he could have made a difference. However, I bet those boys never forgot that lesson!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    FINALLY!!!!! Got my S5 today
    my viewing will make me ever so happy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the love, everybody!! Good to be here! I recognize some of your screen names from the fan fiction site....where I spend entirely too much time, reading and dreaming...:)

Is anyone here planning on a pilgrimage to Port Isaac next spring/summer for filming? Have any of you gone before? I've started saving my pennies, and I really hope to go. If anyone has been and has any advice or helpful tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

A group of folks are planning a trip to PI next year. They're members of this Yahoo Group.
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_Portwenn_Effect/
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I am going in June. My husband has a meeting in London about then and he has agreed to take me to Port Isaac! My daughter and her family have just spent a holiday at Trevet ?? oh dear, I can't remember, but it's very nearby and maybe they will join us there too next summer.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A group of folks are planning a trip to PI next year. They're members of this Yahoo Group.

I think they may have to erect bleachers!:D
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member

No need to say anything here more than to refer people to your fan fiction story "Those Formative Years." Very well written and very true to the story but with your imaginative and creative interpretation of events not seen in the show. Lurk here, but write more. You are talented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am going to Alaska instead : ( my husband won the toss. Last chance ever. I am very disappointed and if I don't see a bear I will be unbearable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    No need to say anything here more than to refer people to your fan fiction story "Those Formative Years." Very well written and very true to the story but with your imaginative and creative interpretation of events not seen in the show. Lurk here, but write more. You are talented.

Thank you so much! I have loved all the encouraging comments and I've really enjoyed writing again. I am working on the next chapter, but it is slow going....I'll hopefully get it finished this weekend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I am going to Alaska instead : ( my husband won the toss. Last chance ever. I am very disappointed and if I don't see a bear I will be unbearable!

You can see a bear in Port Isaac. ;):):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Welcome! I'm afraid that, if anything, it will increase the severity of your symptoms. I have just been here a few months and I know that is my experience. I think the most popular word I have seen here to describe him is "adorable"!

Speaking of our favorite actor, someone has posted the Jubilee Horse Show on YT. I think this was the most entertaining of all of the activities I watched for the Jubilee:

It's a long one, but MC comes in at about 35mins.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Biff and I are going next year. We hope to see others from the Forum there!
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

I watched this and it was fascinating--how on earth did they "store" all the horses from various countries before it was their turn to perform? The logistics of that was mind-boggling to me. One of my daughters lives in Kentucky--horse country here because of all the lime in the soil which promotes strong bones. She knows of someone who had to give up owing one as the medical costs per year were prohibitive--$20,000. They are prone to colds and injuries to their hooves. I was disappointed that Martin Clunes as president of the British Horse Society did not come out on a horse with a contingent of some of the members to parade around a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mona (mmDerdekea) and I are planning to go but we don't know exactly when. We would welcome advice and helpful tips too.
This discussion has been closed.