EE signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Just wondering the nearest city to have LTE is 12miles away,will i be able to pick that signal up or is it to far away.
Also on the iphone 5 i have noticed when i am on wifi in a pub,when i leave i have No Service msg for at least 10min when i have left,i have to turn the phone off then back off again then i get 4 bars and 3g is this right ?

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too far, although there is no information on how far the city coverage will extend outside of the boundaries. The no service issue you're having isn't normal, I can switch from wifi to EE without any loss of connectivity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Too far, although there is no information on how far the city coverage will extend outside of the boundaries. The no service issue you're having isn't normal, I can switch from wifi to EE without any loss of connectivity.

Ok thanks will have to keep an eye on my signal then when ive been on wifi.
    Also noticed that the speedtest.net i am getting 1.50mbps thats with full signal and 3g thought i would be getting more than that,when i try it with my wifi i get about 10mbps
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,393
    Forum Member
    Could this possibly be a glitch in iOS 6?

I know there's a bug where it sometimes doesn't let you hop onto a Wi-Fi network - loading up some Apple login page instead, before dropping the Wi-Fi connection - so maybe it could be something related...?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Could this possibly be a glitch in iOS 6?

I know there's a bug where it sometimes doesn't let you hop onto a Wi-Fi network - loading up some Apple login page instead, before dropping the Wi-Fi connection - so maybe it could be something related...?

Only if the network has a captive portal.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Just wondering the nearest city to have LTE is 12miles away,will i be able to pick that signal up or is it to far away.
    Also on the iphone 5 i have noticed when i am on wifi in a pub,when i leave i have No Service msg for at least 10min when i have left,i have to turn the phone off then back off again then i get 4 bars and 3g is this right ?

Unlike 3G LTE was designed to work up to distances of about 25 miles or more but since LTE is going to use some of the 1800Mhz spectrum of the 2G network I suspect they'll tune the coverage roughly in line with that of 2G. I could of course be wrong but that makes sense to me :)
    On the WiFi issue I have noticed that my iPhone 5 sometimes does take a while to pick up a cellular signal when I go outside and come off WiFi. It's not 10 minutes. More like 3-5 but it can be annoying. It's could well be a glitch that Apple needs to fix. Haven't found it a major problem though.
    By the way, you don't need to turn the phone off and on again. Just go to Settings and turn on Airplane mode (kills all radio), wait a second and then turn it off again. My phone then finds the signal right away!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Never thought about turning airplane off and back on Thanks :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    This issue with the no service is happening all the time now when I lose signal it don't seem to find service again until I switch the phone off and on again I thought it was a fault with my iphone 5 but its now happening on my wife's too could this be a major glitch with the new carrier settings or the new ios6 something needs to be done as its happening every single day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened to me today too. I was on a long train journey so lost my signal fairly regularly. I then didn't get it back without switching to flight mode and back again. This is on a 3GS running iOS 5.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I'm getting this issue on an iphone4s with ios6 installed, never had it on ios5

Using Vodafone, when the phone is moving from wifi to cellular it fails to connect to 3G and only gives edge connectivity. I just turn 3G off and on again to restore service.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Legends i have never seen that. Local Apple store near you?
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there is will have to pop in, my colleague gets the same issue. Again an iphone 4s with ios6
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    bigash82 wrote: »
    This issue with the no service is happening all the time now when I lose signal it don't seem to find service again until I switch the phone off and on again I thought it was a fault with my iphone 5 but its now happening on my wife's too could this be a major glitch with the new carrier settings or the new ios6 something needs to be done as its happening every single day

i found this helped me with the above problem

go into settings
    privacy
    location settings
    system services
    & then turn on mobile network search
    Forum Member
    i found this helped me with the above problem

go into settings
    privacy
    location settings
    system services
    & then turn on mobile network search

Ok thanks I will try this and see if it works someone said try resetting network settings this is what apple told me to do today when I called them they are well aware of the problem they said and am trying hard to release the correct software to rectify it it's not only happening with just the iphone 5 it's happening with all iPhones with the iOS 6 update
  • Mr MotMr Mot Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Anyone noticed that being on EE depletes your battery super quick?
    My iPhone 5 with a 3 sim in will last me 2 days, pop in my Tmobile sim and I'm lucky to get through my working day.

Same goes for my previous 4S actually.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Southampton is going live on the 30th. I wonder if my area will be covered. Shame I have months left with iPhone 4 with vodafone.
    Forum Member
    The signal seems to be worse also now on EE suppose this could be down to either there doing work on all the masts ready for 4g on the 30th or the iOS 6 update has crippled our phones ?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Mr Mot wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that being on EE depletes your battery super quick?
    My iPhone 5 with a 3 sim in will last me 2 days, pop in my Tmobile sim and I'm lucky to get through my working day.

Same goes for my previous 4S actually.

One thing you can do to increase battery life generally is to turn off the LTE toggle. When we actually have LTE then you can turn it on again but for now the iPhone 5 is constantly searching for a non existent LTE signal and I certainly noticed a difference with it off. Doesn't sound like this is your main problem though.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Good call!
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    One thing you can do to increase battery life generally is to turn off the LTE toggle. When we actually have LTE then you can turn it on again but for now the iPhone 5 is constantly searching for a non existent LTE signal and I certainly noticed a difference with it off. Doesn't sound like this is your main problem though.

Does this really improve the batt life ?
  • Mr MotMr Mot Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Made no difference for me, battery life is still awful.
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I received my EE SIM update (not the carrier update) I have noticed strange things happening with my 3G data speeds.

I usually get good speeds from T-Mobile sites, but more and more often recently when doing a speed test I max out at around the 1.9Meg down and 0.5Meg up mark.

If I turn airplane mode off and straight on again and then re-do the speedtest I am getting 14Meg+ down and around 3.5Meg up.

I have checked the network and cell ids and these are the same for both tests so I know i'm not jumping cells at the restart.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm using an iPhone 5 with a T-Mobile SIM in.