Surround Sound to LG TV?

I have just bought an LG Smart TV and want to wire my surround speakers to it, but the TV doesn't have all those holes on the back like the back of a DVD player would.

So I was wondering if there is a way of connecting surround sound to an LG TV?

TIA

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The model number of your TV and the make and model number of the surround sound system, so that people have a chance of advising whether the TV supports an audio output that the sound system supports as an audio input might be helpful...
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't wire speakers to a TV, or a DVD player either. You need an amplifier to drive the speaker. What you may have seen is an all in one system that combines DVD player and amplifier in one box which is a different animal to a simple stand alone DVD player.

What speakers do you have? And how much are you willing to spend to add an amplifier to the system? Bear in mind that speakers from some cheap and nasty all in one systems might not be entirely suitable for some amplifiers. It might be better buying a speaker and amplifier bundle instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The model number of your TV and the make and model number of the surround sound system, so that people have a chance of advising whether the TV supports an audio output that the sound system supports as an audio input might be helpful...
    Virtually all LG TVs I've seen and used have optical outs now. Many of the Smart TVs built in the last couple of years have ARC over HDMI.

What is not so common is any form of analogue output, eg headphones or SCART, much less a pair of phono sockets on the back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Not sure of model numbers, all I know is it is a 2013 LG Smart TV.

I used to have a DVD player with 5.1 surround sound but when I bought this TV I sold the DVD player and kept the speakers hoping to be able to use them with this TV as a collegue told me I could buy an adapter, but am struggling to find a way and cannot find this adapter thing anywhere, so i am beginning to wonder if it even existed.

Sorry if that doesn't help but that is all I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you ask your colleague what he meant by an adaptor, he's obviously seen one somewhere. that might be easier than asking on a forum what your colleague meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This "adapter" would have to be an amplifier. Like the bit you flogged. You should have kept the surround system intact and then you may have been able to plug the TV into it to get surround sound out of it, assuming the system had the correct inputs available of course.

But now you will have to replace the amplifier section at least even if you don't need/want the DVD player section. If you want a direct replacement of the bit you sold off that may be more difficult. You are unlikely to get a new one on it's own without a set of speakers.

And the speakers you have may not be a perfect match for a stand alone surround sound amp. It would depend on their specifications as to how well they would work. If you know what the make and model of the system was that might help.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In principle you can never connect separate speakers to any TV , best solution world be a sound bar connected via hdmi ( arc ) or if you need disc playback get a bluray home cinema system ( again connected via the arc equipped hdmi socket .