In your opinion who are the best vocalists the show has ever had technically speaking

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In your opinion who are the strongest singers who have ever been on the show?

For me the acts that standout would be

Leona Lewis
Jahmene Douglas
Rhydian Roberts

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis - Flawless ability, soaring belts and fantastic upper register. Her only minor weak point is her lower register, but she is the best vocalist ever on the show. There isn't much more I can say than that. She's fantastic.

Alexandra Burke - Incredible husky tone and lower register and loads of power. I love that her voice can fit all styles and isn't defined by one genre, her vocals can fit into anything from dance-pop to a stripped back piano ballad. A minor weak point for her is her upper register but she has made massive improvements over the years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis
    Alexandra Burke
    Perrie Edwards (Little Mix)
    Ella Henderson
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best vocalists techically speaking....hmmm...

I would say, Leona (range-wise), Alexandra (power-wise), Matt Cardle (for the range, the falsetto and the emotion he projected in First Time Ever I Saw Your Face)

Honourable mentions to Rachel Adedeji (series 6, went out early) whose performance of U2's One was very impressive, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ4bDOFy8RM especially the power of the note she held at 1.46 (10 seconds!) and also Kitty Brucknell, who behind the crazy styling had a very powerful voice and delivered a very emotional Over The Rainbow just before being kicked out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uAN4WBS_DI
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona is the best, followed by Alexandra.
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    technically speaking i would probably say leona, i thing ella is an amazing singer but technically i wouldn't put her up there as she often went out of her limits in her upper register!
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke.

Them, and Jahmene
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vocally it's Leona Lewis. I don't think people can even question it. She can do things with her voice that no other singer on the show could ever do. She has a bigger range than all the other contestants ever too.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Joe McElderry - he has quite the vocal range - he can sing pop and opera/classical music. He can hit rather high notes without appearing as though he is screaming, and his voice is quite simply very pleasant to listen to. He is, in my opinion, still the best male singer to grace the X Factor stage. I'd say Matt Cardle is close behind.
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe McElderry
    Matt Cardle
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have'nt been very many, but you would have to say Leona Lewis, and Alexandra Burke. Leanne Robinson, who was in last years show is very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis, Niki Evans, Treyc Cohen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    In terms of Big Voice:
    Male: Joe McElderry with Matt Cardle second
    Female: Leona Lewis with Alexandra second

It's a shame, SyCo seems to kick the classic big voices to the side in favour of poppy preppy acts. Up there you have males, able to hit falsetto notes during their time on the show, I.e prior to top notch training, and classical female voices capable of conquering Mariah vocals. I don't see why, in particular Joe and Matt, the big male voice gets neglected in favour of what can we peddle to teenagers.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis, Niki Evans, Treyc Cohen.

Niki had very limited range. Her rendition of My Heart Will Go On demonstrated that. She didn't hit the high notes! Technically therefore she's not one of the best singers.

Leona has a wonderful upper register but you can hear in Hurt and Run that her lower register isn't as strong.

Matt has the range that most of them lack but he can go out of tune (too sharp usually) sometimes - like in Unfaithful. It's a bit like Ella in her performance of Firework for example - she was going way too high.

I would say Alexandra is to be honest. She has the power, range and very rarely goes out of tune. Up there with her would be Stacey Solomon and Misha B (but Misha can go out of tune sometimes).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niki had very limited range. Her rendition of My Heart Will Go On demonstrated that. She didn't hit the high notes! Technically therefore she's not one of the best singers.

Leona has a wonderful upper register but you can hear in Hurt and Run that her lower register isn't as strong.

Matt has the range that most of them lack but he can go out of tune (too sharp usually) sometimes - like in Unfaithful. It's a bit like Ella in her performance of Firework for example - she was going way too high.

I would say Alexandra is to be honest. She has the power, range and very rarely goes out of tune. Up there with her would be Stacey Solomon and Misha B (but Misha can go out of tune sometimes).

But that's your opinion. Mine is different. You say Alexandra is the best out the 4 you listed and I personally think she is the weakest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's your opinion. Mine is different. You say Alexandra is the best out the 4 you listed and I personally think she is the weakest.

This thread isn't about opinion it's about technical ability. The OP started another thread about personal favourites. TreyC and Niki are nowhere near Alexandra vocally, let alone Leona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    This thread isn't about opinion it's about technical ability. The OP started another thread about personal favourites. TreyC and Niki are nowhere near Alexandra vocally, let alone Leona.

This thread is about opinion. Read the first line of the title 'in your opinion.'

OP asked a question, I answered. Stop biting my head off for having an opinion that isn't yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is about opinion. Read the first line of the title 'in your opinion.'

OP asked a question, I answered. Stop biting my head off for having an opinion that isn't yours.

You can't have an opinion on fact. That's a contradiction. Nobody is saying you're not allowed to like or dislike certain acts. But if one singer is technically better then they are technically better regardless of whether you like them or not. This is about vocal ability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't have an opinion on fact. That's a contradiction. Nobody is saying you're not allowed to like or dislike certain acts. But if one singer is technically better then they are technically better regardless of whether you like them or not. This is about vocal ability.

I'll have an opinion about what I want, this is a forum. Who died and made you LA Reid? Tis about vocal ability indeed. And I don't think vocally Alexandra is all 'dat. IN MY OPINION, vocally - Niki Evans was better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have an opinion about what I want, this is a forum. Who died and made you LA Reid? Tis about vocal ability indeed. And I don't think vocally Alexandra is all 'dat. IN MY OPINION, vocally - Niki Evans was better.

Well like I said, nobody said you're not allowed to like or dislike certain acts, but comparing Niki to some of the better X Factor vocalists is like night and day.

I guess there's a reason why she didn't end up winning the show. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well like I said, nobody said you're not allowed to like or dislike certain acts, but comparing Niki to some of the better X Factor vocalists is like night and day.

I think it is down to opinion. You put Alexandra as one of the strongest....I think she is very plain, and nowhere near one of the strongest vocalists on the show.

In my eyes, you're not wrong, because it's your opinion.

"I guess theres a reason why she didn't end up winning the show" ...So you're implying the best vocalists win's these shows are you? Pahahah. No.

Laura White, Danyl, Misha B, Nikki Evans, Ella - All strongest vocalists than the winners, and none of them won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Such a void post. Leon Jackson won so you're suggesting that he's vocally one of the best The X Factor has seen because he was the winner? Hahahaha.

I only came on here to leave an opinion, which is what I was asked for.. Not an argument with the chairman of the Alexandra Burke fan club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a void post. Leon Jackson won so you're suggesting that he's vocally one of the best The X Factor has seen because he was the winner? Hahahaha.

I only came on here to leave an opinion, which is what I was asked for.. Not an argument with the chairman of the Alexandra Burke fan club.

I don't know why Zack suddenly got so defensive. It's all about personal opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona is probably the best they've had and likely the best they'll ever have on the show. Joe Mcelderry is also really, really good. So is Matt Cardle. It's a shame that, like another poster said, Syco seems to focus on the pop route instead of the vocally impressive route when taking contestants forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is down to opinion. You put Alexandra as one of the strongest....I think she is very plain, and nowhere near one of the strongest vocalists on the show.

In my eyes, you're not wrong, because it's your opinion.

"I guess theres a reason why she didn't end up winning the show" ...So you're implying the best vocalists win's these shows are you? Pahahah. No.

Laura White, Danyl, Misha B, Nikki Evans, Ella - All strongest vocalists than the winners, and none of them won.

If someone is not technically excellent, "opinion" does not come into that whatsoever. They have a bad technique end of. Take Ella for example who often screeched and screamed outside her range and often went out of tune i.e. her dreadful Grease cover. Opinion doesn't come into that, she was out of tune end of, and that's my point. People are confusing personal tastes with technical ability. I was never a fan of Laura, but I'm not going to deny that she has great technical ability and this is where people are confusing things.

Personal opinion comes in only when "liking" the singer. Technical ability is what a singer is capable of within their own range, and Alexandra is capable of much more than all those other singers you mentioned.