Should I move to Plusnet?

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
I currently have the woeful Sky Connect broadband product and my contract is up in a few months.

I absolutely hate Sky Connect. It's so slow for so much of the day and the traffic management means things take forever to download. Often, I can't even play the PS3 online.

I get "up to 8 meg" supposedly. Occasionally I get about 6meg, but often, 1meg.

I searched on BroadbandChoices.co.uk and Plusnet have a "Truly Unlimited" product which clearly states no traffic management and up to 16meg for my postcode.

However, I know nothing about Plusnet. Any opinions welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Yes. Several other threads on here about it. :)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I've only heard good things really about Plusnet.

My dad's partner is on Plusnet and AFAIK hasn't ever had any problems.

But as KJ said, there are a fair few threads on here already, which you might want to look at.

I've thought about changing myself, but last time I asked, you could only make 5 hours of international calls/month in your allowance, when you pay a extra fiver a month for the unlimited any time calls package. Also on a personal note, Sky have finally given me my £30 refund for calls made to the USA, though I had to be persistent, so I'm sticking with them for now.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP ... you should also consider upgrading to fibre in the not too distant future, if it's available from your local BT
    exchange. After the experiences I've had with my ADSL2 in the past week, with constant drop-outs caused by
    a fault on the creaking (several decades old) copper cabling between my home and the BT exchange, those
    ancient copper wires cannot cope with today's internet. ADSL2 doesn't cut the mustard any longer!

I'm looking to switch to FTTC in the near future, and since Telefonica UK (O2/BE) are still dragging their feet
    on deciding if they're going to launch an FTTC service, after looking at all my available options, and with my
    own current situation (long story) it looks like Plusnet are the very likely to be getting my custom soon.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    OP ... you should also consider upgrading to fibre in the not too distant future, if it's available from your local BT
    exchange. After the experiences I've had with my ADSL2 in the past week, with constant drop-outs caused by
    a fault on the creaking (several decades old) copper cabling between my home and the BT exchange, those
    ancient copper wires cannot cope with today's internet. ADSL2 doesn't cut the mustard any longer!

I'm looking to switch to FTTC in the near future, and since Telefonica UK (O2/BE) are still dragging their feet
    on deciding if they're going to launch an FTTC service, after looking at all my available options, and with my
    own current situation (long story) it looks like Plusnet are the very likely to be getting my custom soon.
    Unfortunately I can't get Fibre where I am at the moment. I was previously a Virgin Fibre customer and it was fantastic.This Sky Connect service is so painful in comparison.

I'm holding on to hope that maybe one day we'll have 4G in the home.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »

Tbh they are probably waiting the 4G auction outcome. If they win and then fully partner with Vodafone, they'll probably do packages like EE did.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I've only heard good things really about Plusnet.

I've thought about changing myself, but last time I asked, you could only make 5 hours of international calls/month in your allowance, when you pay a extra fiver a month for the unlimited any time calls package.

Try Voipcheap.com for internation calls. You can use your own landline phone by putting both number into the request screen and it connects you both up.

For the OP:
    Plusnet (a subsidiary of BT) give a good service without any extra marketing and the support staff speak English!
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with Plusnet for several years and have no complaints but like every ISP in the world you will read lots of complaints about them....often problems that are likely due to crappy old phone wiring rather than the ISP.

The only thing I'd say is that the supplied wireless adsl modem might not be the best but you can always use your own if you prefer.
  • David_SteeleDavid_Steele Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I recently moved to Plusnet from Sky and the move went very smoothly. I am happy with the performance of their BB so far. I'd say, go for it.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Ive been with plusnet for years, and only had two problems, both dealt with and resolved :
  • blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I recently moved to Plusnet from Sky and the move went very smoothly. I am happy with the performance of their BB so far. I'd say, go for it.

Ditto, while I had no problem with Sky BB I wasn't paying a premium for line rental and service when the TV went.

Move to Plusnet went fine though. We were off for a day before things fired into life. Much better than the 10 days $ky quoted in our cancellation e-mail, but if you are coming to Plusnet from another BT product then you will not have this.

It's great being back on a BT product as I can use my own router and have a lot more choice when fibre comes to our exchange in March.

Plus if you can convince a few friends to join you get monthly referral rates to reduce your bill.

Anyway it's "Reet honest broadband from Yorkshire" what more could you want?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Plusnet Value for almost four years, and didn't have any serious problems with it. Maybe four or five instances where I lost internet access for a few hours. I'm still using the original router they provided. Their pricing changed recently, and I've made the switch to their new Unlimited package (£9.99/month). I would recommend them.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Am currently in the process of swapping out from Sky BB to Plusnet's unlimited fibre optic service. Doing a pretty good deal at the moment with half price for 6 months.
    Phoned Sky last night to get my mac code, was expecting to be kept on the phone for ages while somebody begged me to stay but apparently my code will be sent out within 2 days!
    I have been having issues with my connection lately, spent 15 minutes on hold the other night to them, when the music finished I thought I was in luck but no...I was cut off. Happened twice. Was on the phone for a total of an hour, to be told that an engineer would be calling me back. Three days later I am still waiting.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did exactly the same over a year ago & never looked back since.
    Only had 1 instance of very temporary BB loss in 14 months but their customer service is the best I've ever encountered.
    Currently haggled a deal worth £5.99 a month for the 60GB (more than adequate) limit.
    Even better if you pay the 12 months line rental (which,cost me £113.88 before the price-rise) upfront.
    I'd recommend anyone considering switching their BB to seriously consider using Plusnet.