Saving Face - Channel 4 - on NOW (2200 16/01)

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi folks,

Saving Face: True Stories
Every year in Pakistan more than 100 people, most of them women, are known to be victims of acid attacks, while numerous other cases go unreported. With little or no access to reconstructive surgery, survivors are left physically and emotionally scarred. This extended version of an Oscar-winning film follows pioneering British plastic surgeon Mohammad Jawad as he travels to the country to treat two victims, 39-year-old Zakia and 23-year-old Rukhsana, who were both maimed by their husbands

Who's watching? On NOW.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I'm watching. I am horrified. I had heard about this happening but did not realise it was to such an extent. I had no idea that very little treatment was given to the victims.
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too did`nt know the extent of it happening , poor poor women x
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the men who do it escape punishment if their families are rich enough. :mad:

xx
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the last 10mins, that prosthesis is amazing. Watching from the start on +1 now.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayBird78 wrote: »
    I'm watching. I am horrified. I had heard about this happening but did not realise it was to such an extent. I had no idea that very little treatment was given to the victims.
    It is shocking.
    I'm-a-pain wrote: »
    And the men who do it escape punishment if their families are rich enough. :mad:

xx

A horrible outcome, no justice for these victims. :(

It's a truly terrifying thing to happen but I'm a little sad that the justice the victims want is for their perpetrators to suffer the same fate.
    An eye for an eye I suppose, but I would prefer long prison terms a financial penalty to pay for medical treatment .
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    Just caught the last 10mins, that prosthesis is amazing. .

Absolutely amazing. Those guys who make them are geniuses.

xx
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, evil men. Poor women :(
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That women also do it to each other & parents to it to their daughters is the most shocking thing. All for the sake of 'family honour'. Mind boggling cruelty!
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this earlier. It's horrific. The attitudes of the men are truly unbelievable. Thwomen are amazing, and Dr Jawaz is an angel.
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    That women also do it to each other & parents to it to their daughters is the most shocking thing. All for the sake of 'family honour'. Mind boggling cruelty!

Very true. Unbelievable any man could do this to a woman, never mind another woman doing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I don't think that I have ever been so moved, so upset or so angry while watching a documentary. What is it about Pakistani men? Why do they seem to hate women and treat them so badly? In this country there have been cases of grooming young girls. So sad, I hope that more can be done to help these abused women.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soon we'll have sharia law in this country as well...
  • cakeholecakehole Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chessiecat wrote: »
    I don't think that I have ever been so moved, so upset or so angry while watching a documentary. What is it about Pakistani men? Why do they seem to hate women and treat them so badly? In this country there have been cases of grooming young girls. So sad, I hope that more can be done to help these abused women.

Not just Pakistani men, terrible things happen to women in all cultures where women are considered to be of little value.

Its difficult to believe how anyone could do something so dreadful to another human being. Delighted to hear of the double life sentence imposed on one of the perpetuators.