Marvel's The Avengers (26/04/2012)

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since Thor it's been bugging me where, specifically, I remembered the Hawkeye actor from. Today my eureka moment finally arrived, and recalled he was in the Angel episode Somnambulist.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    My thoughts:

I really enjopyed it! :D Even though it was perhaps slightly longer than it needed to be - some of the set pieces were great and the wisecracks and deadpan humour in the script were hilarious :D
    I loved the Iron Man v Thor and Hulk v Loki stand-off, and the bit where the team started playing Galaga :D

4.25/5 :)
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all pretty much academic but the official figures for it's opening weekend has been calculated and it's an improvement............$207,438,708.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    It's all pretty much academic but the official figures for it's opening weekend has been calculated and it's an improvement............$207,438,708.
    Why did the YANKS get this a week later?.....:eek:
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Ever since Thor it's been bugging me where, specifically, I remembered the Hawkeye actor from. Today my eureka moment finally arrived, and recalled he was in the Angel episode Somnambulist.

He was also in 28 weeks later, thats what I remember him in the most.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MI4 and The Hurt Locker are more recent things Renner has been in.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Why did the YANKS get this a week later?.....:eek:

Because in America May 4th is the day the Summer Box Office season kicks off. It used to be May 31st, but it's changed over the years.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that true? Has it been confirmed or have you just said that? I only ask because almost everyone I know who has gone to see this film have seen this film in 2D.

I mean even on this thread it would be the majority of people who saw it in 2D not 3D. So with such hate for 3D and the general disinterest that most have for the concept it just seems strange it would still account for 52% of the gross.

Seems it is true, according to Box Office Mojo.
    The audience was split evenly between those above and below 25 years-of-age, and it was 60 percent male. 3D screenings accounted for 52 percent of the opening weekend gross, which is an improvement from Captain America's 40 percent but below Thor's 60 percent. That 3D share breaks down to 40 percent traditional 3D, 8 percent IMAX, and 4 percent premium large format. The estimated $15.3 million the movie earned at 275 IMAX theaters set a new record for the format.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3438&p=.htm
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    MI4 and The Hurt Locker are more recent things Renner has been in.

He was also in The Town....:)
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    He was also in The Town....:)

And SWAT :) first time I saw him personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I just want to clarify that I am in no way saying that every Batman fan has taken a swipe at the Avengers. I have seen a lot of batman fans saying "well it's only because 3d is so expensive, batman will do better in 2d" etc and that was in my mind when I wrote that post.

As Wulfster said, undermining success seems to be 'in' at the moment, it's just sad to see that's all.

As for the 3d argument, you can't deny that the more expensive prices have helped, but like I said, people actively went to see the 3d showing because they wanted to, not because they were forced to. 3d is now a staple of the summer blockbuster (and I personally hate it) so to use it as a reason to somehow claim that the takings aren't worthy of praise is a little much.

It's not like The Avengers is the one and only film in the world in 3D. Harry Potter was released in 3D and the Avengers has eanred more money than that, so the excuse is null and void.

EDIT: Also, I love the whole 'inflation as a reason for films taking loads of money' argument. I read somewhere that the most expensive film ever made, some historical epic from the 60s or something, in todays money, would have cost something like over a billion dollars to make. I just find that interesting.

I get the impression from the tone of your post that your directing those points directly at me, even though we're actually saying the same thing. Strange.

I agree with this whole argument, which is why I made a point of saying that The Avenger's total is still miles ahead of Harry Potter when both films' 2D only totals are taken into account.

What's also worth mentioning is that The Avengers allegedly sold about 3 million more tickets than The Dark Knight, so in terms of footfall, it wins again. For a while I actually thought that the new Batman would have a chance, but I'm seriously doubting that now. The Avengers has just pretty much cleaned up all round.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Only 800k in greece, guess they have become too poor to go to the movies... ouch!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Only 800k in greece, guess they have become too poor to go to the movies... ouch!

$868,941 is actually quite a high figure for Greece (which has a population of only 11 million) , tbh. The film in 2nd was Battleship with $94,655.;)

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/greece/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    PaulM1983 wrote: »
    I get the impression from the tone of your post that your directing those points directly at me, even though we're actually saying the same thing. Strange.

I agree with this whole argument, which is why I made a point of saying that The Avenger's total is still miles ahead of Harry Potter when both films' 2D only totals are taken into account.

What's also worth mentioning is that The Avengers allegedly sold about 3 million more tickets than The Dark Knight, so in terms of footfall, it wins again. For a while I actually thought that the new Batman would have a chance, but I'm seriously doubting that now. The Avengers has just pretty much cleaned up all round.

to be completely honest the quickness of people replying on this forum often means I generally have no idea who has said what, so it wasn't aimed at you directly, and if it seemed that way then I apologise. It was more just my general musings on the argument of high 3d ticket prices being the sole reason for generating Avengers' revenue.

I hate 3d and wish it would go away, but it looks like it's here to stay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of cinema 3D, as I find it blurry at times, and quite often the ghosting around figures is appalling. Avengers is one of the better efforts I've seen to be fair.

I much prefer watching 3D at home on my tv, as the effect is generally so much stronger and sharper. I cannot wait to get this film at home. I can see this one getting multiple views very quickly to be honest.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Natasha was saying she had "red in her ledger", as she owed Barton a debt because he spared her and brought her into SHIELD.

Loki said her ledger was overflowing with red (as in blood not debt), due to all the horrible things she did before SHIELD.

He then told her that he was going to get Barton to kill her in the most intimate way possible, and wake him up from his mind control just at the last minute so he could see what he did to her and see her die.

She turned around and fake-cried, saying "you're a monster!"

Loki then said "No, you've brought the monster here <evil laugh>!".

Natasha realised from this that Loki was going to use Hulk in some way.

As for writers...

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, 2008) wrote the original story.

Joss Whedon (director of The Avengers) then re-wrote the story, and wrote the actual screenplay.

you could see the whedon lines a mill off,i really like penn too,hes a good amrvel writer,hope they helm the next film
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I saw it in 2D. Not a fan of 3D, I don't havethe best vision lol
    Forum Member
    Lisa1989 wrote: »
    I saw it in 2D. Not a fan of 3D, I don't havethe best vision lol

I saw it in 2D as well, in our local small town cinema which is straight out of the ark, the sound system has seen better days, its all muffled and the screen leaves a lot to be desired, but it still could not detract from the fact that I was watching such a good film that it didnt matter how tatty it all was.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I saw it in 2D as well, in our local small town cinema which is straight out of the ark, the sound system has seen better days, its all muffled and the screen leaves a lot to be desired, but it still could not detract from the fact that I was watching such a good film that it didnt matter how tatty it all was.

Out of interest, which small town cinema is it that you are talking about?
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, which small town cinema is it that you are talking about?

This one. http://www.westwaycinema.co.uk/

Its like stepping back in time and even has a bar where you can buy a pint or a glass of wine !
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Seems it is true, according to Box Office Mojo.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3438&p=.htm

Cool, It still seems strange to me, just because of the hatred for 3D that seems to exist every where. I personally have no problem with thing, if done well and is not converted I will happily sit through a 3D showing of a film.

But I seem to be in the minority when I state this opinion so it seems weird that 3D takings are still so high. :)

But thanks for the confirmation information :)
    Forum Member
    I have never seen a 3D film at the cinema, but I usually buy the 3D bluray as you get all the choices in one package, so if the 3D is not all that good at least you have the bluray or digi copy to fall back on.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool, It still seems strange to me, just because of the hatred for 3D that seems to exist every where. I personally have no problem with thing, if done well and is not converted I will happily sit through a 3D showing of a film.

But I seem to be in the minority when I state this opinion so it seems weird that 3D takings are still so high. :)

But thanks for the confirmation information :)

'Tis the way of the internet, I think. There's lots of things that you'd think were vastly unpopular based on the responses people give on DS and other forums. But in reality, those complaints are often in the minority.

However, there is also another possibility. I went to see it in 3D, but would have rather seen it in 2D. The reason I went to the 3D screening was because the 2D showings were 7pm and 11.35pm. That was it. Whilst the 3D showings were practically every hour. 8-9pm was my preferred time slot, so 3D it had to be.

From what I saw, a lot of other cinemas were similar. So its possible a lot of people may have gone to 3D screenings because it was the only realistic option if they wanted to see the film at all.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    you could see the whedon lines a mill off,i really like penn too,hes a good amrvel writer,hope they helm the next film

I do wonder though how much of Penn's original story is left. Whedon wrote the screenplay, which you can tell from the character stuff and the humour, but he also re-wrote Penn's original story.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it (and loved it) on Sunday- saw it in 2D, and accidentally went to the subtitled screening. No big deal, really- the subtitles weren't distracting, and the movie remained awesome.

But the best subtitle I have EVER seen is now:

HULK (roars)
    THOR (groans)
    (screaming)

That's bloody well poetry, that is.