Lauryn Hill, unpaid tax, prison & her reason.

premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't get my head around this.

Lauren Hill is doing three months in prison for tax evasion, fair enough, but her reason for avoiding tax is this...
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said in court. "I had an economic system imposed on me."

She was also a millionairess who didn't pay tax.

Why did she blame slavery and the state? Is she bonkers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22429181

Comments

• SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes barmy. I liked her album.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    1) Oh, wait. I was thinking of Faith Hill.

2) People will say anything to dodge jail time.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of us probably have ancestors who didn't have much of a say with regards to the rules of the land, so we could all make the same claim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ms Hill tries to be a bit of a Revolutionary. Having said that I enjoyed her musical offerings in the 90s.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    once a crook........
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of us probably have ancestors who didn't have much of a say with regards to the rules of the land, so we could all make the same claim.

I don't fancy my chances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ms Hill tries to be a bit of a Revolutionary. Having said that I enjoyed her musical offerings in the 90s.

How did Lauryns father-in-law like his doughnuts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    How did Lauryns father-in-law like his doughnuts?

He made an Exodus before i managed to find out, i am afraid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He made an Exodus before i managed to find out, i am afraid!

:D

Well played.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure we could all think of some injustice which we could use as a justification to ignore tax. But we don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bankrupt and 'famous' list over here seems soft in comparison...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291478/Amanda-Abbington-partner-Hobbit-star-Martin-Freeman-bankrupt-120-000-tax-bill.html

She got away with it by blaming it on Saruman.
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    She didn't mind being 'a child of former slaves' and having 'an economic system imposed upon her' when she was making millions in record sales did she. Can't have it both ways!
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Her eyebrows really irritate me in the DS article
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't mind being 'a child of former slaves' and having 'an economic system imposed upon her' when she was making millions in record sales did she. Can't have it both ways!

Whilst I kinda agree, I think it would be wrong to forget why there are people of her ethnicity in America.
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though she did make that statement, her actual reason for not paying tax was because she ended her music career to raise her children and so didn't have the earnings to pay the tax.

Completely missing the point that the tax was from the earnings she had already made.

The slavery thing is just stupid, yes slavery was awful but it didn't happen in her life.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's right, she is a slave. Of her own stupidity.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiki says her parents were "high school English teacher Valerie Hill and computer programmer Mal Hill" in New Jersey. Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes:
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Obnoxious woman.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised she's going to Jail....can't be famous enough to escape jail.....
  • mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is she's paid $900 000 already but still has to go to jail. LINDSAY LOHAN ANYONE?? That idiot gets so many chances to sort her s*** out and still says stupid things like "I believe everything happens for a reason" yes, it happened because you were coked up, k***head
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    She's off her rocker. Even by celeb standards, you've lost the plot when you start "reasoning" like that.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iz it cos she's a n****r? Judging by her messages she thinks that's the reason.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant talent but barking mad and not in a good way. She could have been a huge star had she not lost the plot
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    She could have been a huge star had she not lost the plot

yeah by using "other peoples work"....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I was too busy smoking dope and being a baby machine to care about anything else until the IRS came after me. However acting like an adult and admitting my failures might actually display a degree of personal responsibility and acknowledgement for my personal failures which I am incapable of since I've smoked more kinds of weed than Allan Titchmarsh has seen in his lifetimes, so instead I'll blame a situation that hasn't existed for centuries or been relevant for the last 50 because that's easier than being an adult for me. One love, I hate white people, you kill the world I want to raise my children in."

That's the reality of her predicament and it's obvious to anyone familiar with her "stories" over the years. She's a nutcase who would show up late to shows, insult her audience, break down and cry mid song and then walk off when she felt like it rather than at the end of the show. She's sadly just a casualty of her own wealth allowing her to create a delusional microcosm that's not done her any favours in the end.