Cheryl Cole wins against X-factor

FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25134769

I say good on her for fighting it out over what was in her contract. She is filthy rich, but still, X factor producers did try to play her dirty, and had to pay up in the end.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this earlier - the terms of her contract seemed fairly watertight so she certainly had every right to pursue it.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Cheryl. Now please come back to the UK X Factor and save us from the three headed monster of Osborne, Nicole and Barlow.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was about winning - there was never any chance of it going to court and them dragging the whole show and Cowell through it. It was more a question of when they would settle and i'm sure the last year has been about her negotiating her settlement.

I think she always knew she would be coming back to the XFUK and if they would have wanted her as a judge this year they would have settled earlier. As it stands - it probably will make more of an impact to bring her back with Cowell so she took her year off.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on her. I don't see why people just expect her to 'leave' money which was owed to her just because she was famous. People seem to pick and choose when it comes to celebrities and it's really quite bizarre. If it was Dannii there would be hardly any dispute over whether she should be fighting for the money or not.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Good for her. And now just take your money and disappear...
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Good for her. And now just take your money and disappear...

She's working on a new album, which will come out in 2014. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah and why? Because she's known she's coming back to XFUK in 2014 for about the last two years. All those denials and her fans supporting her saying she'd never go back, her people were just playing it smart.
    Forum Member
    Yeah and why? Because she's known she's coming back to XFUK in 2014 for about the last two years. All those denials and her fans supporting her saying she'd never go back, her people were just playing it smart.

I've always thought it would be smart of her to come back. Especially after this win returning to XFUK would seem like a sort of victory for her.

Regardless, it would be endless exposure through the show, promotion of her music etc.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad she won the case. I thought they treat her rotten after they got rid of her after such a short time on the panel of X Factor USA. They might think twice before doing this to someone else.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    Good on her. I don't see why people just expect her to 'leave' money which was owed to her just because she was famous. People seem to pick and choose when it comes to celebrities and it's really quite bizarre. If it was Dannii there would be hardly any dispute over whether she should be fighting for the money or not.

Why mention Dannii? I am not a Cheryl fan, but good on her. However, she wasn't right for the USA show and should never have been hired in my opinion. Fox producers, or whoever hired Cheryl, only have themselves to blame. I mean where was their common sense, hiring an unknown person in USA?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why mention Dannii? I am not a Cheryl fan, but good on her. However, she wasn't right for the USA show and should never have been hired in my opinion. Fox producers, or whoever hired Cheryl, only have themselves to blame. I mean where was their common sense, hiring an unknown person in USA?

FOX have basically had two key strands of reality TV in the past 10 years. One is talent shows, stemming from American Idol of course. And they hung that on a complete unknown in the US (Simon Cowell). Their other thing has been cookery shows, all based around another once unknown chef (Gordon Ramsay). When they've spent money chasing stars, like Britney, Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey, J'Lo... things have gone badly wrong.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,670
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Well done Cheryl. Now please come back to the UK X Factor and save us from the three headed monster of Osborne, Nicole and Barlow.

I wouldn't be surprised if returning to the X Factor UK panel wasn't part of the out of court settlement deal.

She gets a decent amount of compensation plus a contract for X Factor for the next 3 years.

I think we'll see Simon, Cheryl, Nicole & Louis on the panel next year.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    FOX have basically had two key strands of reality TV in the past 10 years. One is talent shows, stemming from American Idol of course. And they hung that on a complete unknown in the US (Simon Cowell). Their other thing has been cookery shows, all based around another once unknown chef (Gordon Ramsay). When they've spent money chasing stars, like Britney, Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey, J'Lo... things have gone badly wrong.

BIB Exactly. And even though Nicole has been great on the UKXF, she was dreadful as Cheryl's replacement on the US version.
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

BIB: A very good point. It is interesting How The Voice in both US and UK versions have got the coaches picks better each time. IMO one of the good judges picks for X factor has been Demi Lovato, and she has been quite unknown.

I think they really didn't even get a chance to see what the audience would actually think about Cheryl, they sort of fired her after filming 2-3 episodes, and kept her hanging for 2-3 weeks. How they handled firing her was terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they really didn't even get a chance to see what the audience would actually think about Cheryl, they sort of fired her after filming 2-3 episodes, and kept her hanging for 2-3 weeks. How they handled firing her was terrible.

I don't think there was ever much chance of it working out - probably keeping Simon happy then setting her up to fail so he had no choice but to agree to get rid.

I think it may be too late for the XF show, even with her and Simon - and not sure she will sell that many records off the back of it - but i'm sure they'll do one heck of a PR job to build her up and try.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand, she was paid for the 1st series but was suing for the payment for the 2nd series as her contract had tied her up for that time. Fair play to her, I'd do the same, but blimey, having a contract which legally means you have to pay someone for work they haven't done, due to them being unsuitable for the role? If I were FOX I'd be suing my lawyers for not having a get out clause!
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

Clearly i was being too optimistic, she will need the X factor if she wants to sell a single copy.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, hope she plows all her own money into releasing another generic rnb lite album.

Shes more likely to be convicted of GBH (again) than ever get another platinum record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pwuz wrote: »
    Great, hope she plows all her own money into releasing another generic rnb lite album.

Shes more likely to be convicted of GBH (again) than ever get another platinum record.

It could go one of two ways with Simon's buddy Max Clifford somewhat indisposed.

Either she'll come back as the UK's sweetheart (though her divorce and malaria helped the sympathy factor last time around) and she'll sell bucket loads despite the fact her music is poor.

Or, she'll come back to ridicule and criticism of her 'talents'. If she's not back in favour with the audience who bought her last CD then she'll flop - if her first single has poor first week sales, the media will pick up on it and state how right they were, etc.

Given she's a rich and on paper successful woman, it's a helluva gamble.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could go one of two ways with Simon's buddy Max Clifford somewhat indisposed.

Either she'll come back as the UK's sweetheart (though her divorce and malaria helped the sympathy factor last time around) and she'll sell bucket loads despite the fact her music is poor.

Or, she'll come back to ridicule and criticism of her 'talents'. If she's not back in favour with the audience who bought her last CD then she'll flop - if her first single has poor first week sales, the media will pick up on it and state how right they were, etc.

Given she's a rich and on paper successful woman, it's a helluva gamble.
    If she had any sense she would never release another album. I bet posh wishes she hadn't tried a solo album.

Just let it rest that her most successful album ever was very poor quality.

She needs something to milk in order to sell anything significantly. If I was running her i'd recommend something a high profile relationship that ends when she gets a good shiner or some kind of accident that gets a good sympathy picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pwuz wrote: »
    If she had any sense she would never release another album. I bet posh wishes she hadn't tried a solo album.

Just let it rest that her most successful album ever was very poor quality.

She needs something to milk in order to sell anything significantly. If I was running her i'd recommend something a high profile relationship that ends when she gets a good shiner or some kind of accident that gets a good sympathy picture.

I don't think she'll do a clothing range as the VB comparisons will start and I don't think she'll do a perfume yet as I think she sees it as a bit low rent (and she's already the face/hair of L'Oreal).

She's already done the book so yes, a high profile relationship, either a messy breakup or a marriage/baby, then a range of baby clothes, a baby book (I recently saw Denise VOs in Poundland lol), and a comfortable 'famous for being famous' money spinning career (column in OK, paid for pap shots, charity PETA strip maybe?) until Girls Aloud reunite in 2022 (because let's face it they will!)