Transfer number to new contract with same network

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
Forum Member
I'm currently on the one plan sim only on 3, looking at taking out a new 24 month contract also on the one plan to get an S3, if I take out a new contract through CPW online, so I can get cashback through top cashback can they transfer my number across or will I need to port out and back in?
Thanks

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    dah07 wrote: »
    I'm currently on the one plan sim only on 3, looking at taking out a new 24 month contract also on the one plan to get an S3, if I take out a new contract through CPW online, so I can get cashback through top cashback can they transfer my number across or will I need to port out and back in?
    Thanks

You have to convert it to pay as you go. (which requires 30 days notice) then three can internally port your number. Try and ring retentions and see if they'll match the deal firs.t
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    You have to convert it to pay as you go. (which requires 30 days notice) then three can internally port your number. Try and ring retentions and see if they'll match the deal firs.t
    Cheers I'll give them a call tomorrow
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    dah07
    how did that go? I have a very similar problem, I have a SIM300 with my keeper number, and a new One plan with iPhone 5 and a new number, I want to transfer keeper to One Plan, but 3 shop can't help, they say I need to go PAYG on SIM300 first, and I have to do that via 333.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a SIM only plan on Three and I wanted to keep the number for my new iPhone 5 contract, so I ported the number to an O2 PAYG SIM, and then ported from that O2 SIM to the iPhone 5 contract.

It takes a few days to get it sorted, but that's better than having to wait a month to be put on PAYG.
    Forum Member
    I think I'll try the port out, port in route, I'll pick up an O2 sim today and ring 3 for a PUK.

What a crazy situation.
    Forum Member
    PAC not PUK

Well I got an O2 sim and of course day of days O2 falls over, by the time I got the O2 sim running I missed the Three support hours, so now will ring tomorrow.

I have spent years in telecoms and IT and this nonsense still makes my teeth grind.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the networks' IT/support systems can't comprehend the idea of transferring a number to another account or line. They can presumably change numbers on request (for a fee, naturally) so why not?

I had to port out of and back into T-Mobile when going to contract - but only because I didn't call customer services to order that contract (I wanted cashback) - if I had done so they could do it.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is that it's to make it harder for people to get out of their contract early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    you will have to port your number to another provider then port back to tmobile, well think thats how it works, as you cant port/keep ya number when with same provider, well we couldnt and that was with t-mobile
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all the networks the mechanism for internal transfer of numbers is clearly available as they are all happy enough for you to convert from a PAYG phone to a contract & keep the same number.
  • Dave23Dave23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I had no trouble with virgin, I was on a monthly sim only and switched to an 18 month contract with a new phone and kept the same number. This was done in the store and I walked out with my new phone working
    Forum Member
    The determining factor is can they keep the same revenue stream or increase it? Certainly if the latter then no problem sir.

My gripe is that the number isn't theirs, they are custodians of it, you are the only one who has an investment in it, giving it value.