Adele's 21 passes 26.5 million copies sold worldwide

shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to Music Charts, 21passes 26.5 million albums sold worldwide. In less than two years.

Music Charts: 21 by Adele

Week 92 - 73,000

Total:

http://www.musicharts.net/index.php?cat=charts&chid=0

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha! I see what you did!

Congrats to ADELE! Most amazing woman in the world right now! Absolutely fantastic!
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I love it, well done to Adele.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep... well done to Fraser T Smith, Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder, Dan Wilson, Francis White & Greg Wells.

Oh, and Adele.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep... well done to Fraser T Smith, Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder, Dan Wilson, Francis White & Greg Wells.

Oh, and Adele.

Yes, lets not forget all the people who were responsible for selling these albums for her. Now if adele could offer more then just albums sales then she really could be big.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few more million and Adele can thrash Shaina Twain's Com on over, which to this date remains the best album ever by a female
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few more million and Adele can thrash Shaina Twain's Com on over, which to this date remains the best album ever by a female

That will never be touched, 45M+ no one will ever reach that.

Shania and Alanis are totally safe at the top of the tree and fully deserved as well, both those albums are masterpieces and deserved to sell so many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele is the leader and gives the direction and the helpers are Fraser T Smith, Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder, Dan Wilson, Francis White & Greg Wells they stated in american songwriting or elswhere nothing different.

If Adele goes down south with her follow up to 21 then none here or elswhere blame the co-writers or producer, all the p*iss would take Adele(look now at Xtina), So when she is successful all the praise takes Adele
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, lets not forget all the people who were responsible for selling these albums for her. Now if adele could offer more then just albums sales then she really could be big.

adele is good live..better then on her albums in imo.
    but you are right she should also be teaming up with rent-a-rappers, dating and getting dumped by everyone and there dad, change her personality to bland and smiley, get her boobs out and sell out to break into other markets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be nice to see some official confirmation of these sales, I know from experience here that many of these third party websites that people love to link to are about as accurate as weather forcasters.

My view is unless its official then it dont count, regardless of who the artist in question is.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That will never be touched, 45M+ no one will ever reach that.

Shania and Alanis are totally safe at the top of the tree and fully deserved as well, both those albums are masterpieces and deserved to sell so many.

I thought it was at 30 mil, not 45

Thanks for the correction:)
  • markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable sales for Adele and all involved. I debated years ago that albums can achieve these sort of sales in the download age and I'm glad I was proved right. How it has achieved these sales I have no idea but hats off because its a phenomenal achievement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was at 30 mil, not 45

Thanks for the correction:)

The last time I looked I think it was 44/45M something like that but guess we dont know exactly how many as wiki can often be unpredictable in its accuracy.

Edit

Wiki says 40M but have seen it stated higher than that elsewhere, have to dig out where I saw it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmc2k5 wrote: »
    Unbelievable sales for Adele and all involved. I debated years ago that albums can achieve these sort of sales in the download age and I'm glad I was proved right. How it has achieved these sales I have no idea but hats off because its a phenomenal achievement.

I don't think she's gonna stop selling anytime soon either.. currently 2nd best selling artist in the world at the moment, second to Rihanna.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Everyone else is selling like it's 2012 and Adele is selling like it's 1995 again. She's not just beat the others, she's absolutely pummeled them into the ground.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure what you mean by this.

The first part... Adele's talent sold itself... infact she did very little in terms of actual promo for this era and only had one official video selling the album for the first six months of it. Her music got her the sales.. not her image and no crazy pr stunts. It was all about the music.

The seond part...

If you mean tour then Adele had throat issues all through this era and by the time she had recovered was pregnant.

If however you mean the singles charts then thats a rather odd statement to make. An album selling as many copies as 21 has will never have constant hit singles as everyone already owns it. An Albums sales are always more important than the singles that get released from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    If however you mean the singles charts then thats a rather odd statement to make. An album selling as many copies as 21 has will never have constant hit singles as everyone already owns it. An Albums sales are always more important than the singles that get released from it.
    She actually had 3 number 1 singles in US, and all of them were at #1 on Hot 100 at the same time as 21 was #1 album on Billboard 200. You know how many times in history in happened? So far once. She is the only one who did it.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, and Adele.

:D:D:D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    As far as I know there are not official world wide sales results. One source I've seen is Mediatraffic with United World Charts, another one is Music Charts, and that's the one Shadesofblack quotes. They have higher numbers than Mediatraffic, but the numbers are higher for all artists.

On Mediatraffic's All Time Album Chart 21 is at #42 right now, soon to move to #41 after taking over Britney Spears' Baby One More Time.

In US a month ago 21 was at #22, now probably #21, on all time chart. This is from official Billboard list.

And that's an album that came out not even 2 years ago. No re-release, and still selling.

Alanis and Shania Twain are out of reach, but if one would make an algoritm taking into considaration how much albums were selling in 1990s and how much in 2010s, it might just happen they would not be out of reach.

Guys on ukmix keep track of chart runs, and 21'sr chart runs in UK and US are now comparable with Thriller. Michael and Adele left everybody else behind.

In the UK 21 will probably surpass the sales of What's The Story Morning Glory (released in 1995) in some weeks, maybe months.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

she does, more number 1 singles, more worldwide and american success, better singing and songwriting - taylor has been totally slain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by this.

The first part... Adele's talent sold itself... infact she did very little in terms of actual promo for this era and only had one official video selling the album for the first six months of it. Her music got her the sales.. not her image and no crazy pr stunts. It was all about the music.

The seond part...

If you mean tour then Adele had throat issues all through this era and by the time she had recovered was pregnant.

What I mean is if she ever returns from her sabbatical then instead of just releasing an album and setting back counting the notes go out and work a little, thats how you get respect in the music industry, show us some sweat;)
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I mean is if she ever returns from her sabbatical then instead of just releasing an album and setting back counting the notes go out and work a little, thats how you get respect in the music industry, show us some sweat;)
    gimme a break!
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Congrats to her. That's an amazing achievement in this day and age.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So good to see someone who is actually talented and deserving getting special recognition and making history. Well done to Adele! :)
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    So good to see someone who is actually talented and deserving getting special recognition and making history. Well done to Adele! :)

^^^

Ditto......

26.5m sales for one album, that's a massive acheivement, other artists have to add up multiple album sales to reach anywhere near this.

Well done Adele, nice to see a UK artist making their mark on music history.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

What more do you want her to offer?