Beautiful Creatures

Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else seen this? what did you think?

I think the trailer is really good but the film not so much.

I am not sure i really understood everything and the main actress, although quite good, had clearly watched a lot of Jennifer Lawrence's work.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the film. I know what you mean about the lead actress being similar to Jennifer Lawrence in the way she works.

I have a time test. How long does it take me to look at the watch? The longer it takes me to look at the watch the better the film is. The film isn't plodding, or it's supposed to be funny or scary and isn't. Often it's 20-30 minutes, but with this film I got to an hour and 10 minutes and it's rare that happens. The Life of Pi did but I can't remember another that has in ages.

I found the film engaged me as it was interesting, I wanted to know more, I thought her family intrigued me. It would be easy to compare this to Twilight as you have the young love and so forth, but unlike Twilight which was ploddy and had characters you just wanted to slap and generally not give a toss about as they were very dull, this film wasn't all goth, dark, dreary and teen angst etc.

I left the cinema thinking I would like to find out more about that family and their kind if there was a sequel, where as I've seen many so called big films and blockbusters that as soon as I'm leaving the cinema I'm not even thinking about what I have just watched and am already moving on to the next thing I need to do.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    This was a great antidote to The Twilight Saga.....Funny, Spooky and Mysteries....I loved it...7½/10

Emma Thompson; what was she doing in this....she was amazing....equally Jeremy Irons and a third Brit...Eileen Atkins.

Two leads I had never seen but they were engaging....totally believable......and great CGI too.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I don't actually understand what it's about. I love any movie with 'powers' in but there has to be a plot and I don't sense a good one from the trailer.

I might wait 'til it comes out on DVD or a high quality version pops up online because judging on the trailer, I don't think its worth going to the cinema for, or is it?
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't actually understand what it's about. I love any movie with 'powers' in but there has to be a plot and I don't sense a good one from the trailer.

I might wait 'til it comes out on DVD or a high quality version pops up online because judging on the trailer, I don't think its worth going to the cinema for, or is it?

Well i found the plot a little confusing because i dont think some bits were explained very well.

The general premise is that the girl, i forget her name, arrives in the town. The town is a little town in the middle of nowhere but has a large Christian contingent and also has something to do with the civil war, some big battle appears to have taken place there.

Anyway she arrives in the town and in what seems like 1 minute the boy, hmm i think he is called Ethan, who had previously been dating a "popular" girl and wants to escape the town by going to college, falls in love with the new girl.

Basically the new girl then tells Ethan, in what seems like another minute, that she is actually a witch (or caster) and that on her 16th birthday she will either end up a bad witch (dark) or a good witch (light) and this is determined by her innerself.

So... the rest of the film is the characters trying to help her become a good witch. The other bad witches try to get her to be a bad witch, there is some curse thrown in for good measure which i didnt really seem to understand because the person that got cursed in the first place didnt seem to have any children so i am not sure how they were all interrelated.

Anyway that is the plot..... there is a plot, in fact there are a few plots. Many of which i didnt really understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I left the cinema thinking I would like to find out more about that family and their kind if there was a sequel, where as I've seen many so called big films and blockbusters that as soon as I'm leaving the cinema I'm not even thinking about what I have just watched and am already moving on to the next thing I need to do.

Don't get your hopes up for a sequel, it's bombed in the US this week.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up for a sequel, it's bombed in the US this week.
    Get the books instead....if there isn't going to be any more films.:)
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got home from seeing this movie!!

As someone who'd read the book.....it was just soo disappointing there were points in the film when me and my friend were laughing because it was just ridiculously different to the film!

I loved the book and thought the film would capture at least half of the book but it was just too different to even compare right from the tiny details through to the big plot.

I would have found it interesting had i not read the book however!