Problems with Outlook Express

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
I've never use Outlook Express. I have Windows XP and I use Bt.Yahoo. I wanted to send a message to a business site, but after sending them a message the page went straight to Outlook Express. I found a site how to set it up. All my emails appeared on the Outlook Express, but when I go to send an email it comes up with the following.

If anyone has easy simple instructions I can past and copy, I would be greatful Thanks. Obviously I have admitted my email address in the message below
I pasted and copied the web address below but came up as error.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was ********************* subject 'Form posted from Windows Internet Explorer.', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Comments

• squacksquack Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • squacksquack Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, BT's help seems to be borked/out of date.

Try adding the tick as shown in section 3b:

http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/smtp.htm
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squack wrote: »
    OK, BT's help seems to be borked/out of date.

Try adding the tick as shown in section 3b:

http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/smtp.htm

Well I think I got there eventually it says it's been sent and no error came up,so fingers crossed. Thanks

The only thing that has happened back on my BT.Yahoo site all my emails are now in my Trash.
    I should say though that happened before your message,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I originally went on the Outlook Express and put in all the relevent details. All my Inbox from BT yahoo downloaded to the Outlook Express, but none of the sent emails.
    Going back to Bt Yahoo emails, all my Inbox has now been transported to Trash. I tried put a couple back on Inbox again, then thry disappeared back into the Trash.

I thought I try posting a message on Outlook Express and as I saw no error message thought they had received it. As it said sent. Then this message came up.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was *******************************Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 Syntax error in arguments', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

My system is Windows XP
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess that you have set up Outlook to use POP to copy your Inbox to your PC. This is probably also set to delete the messages on the server, hence why they are in the trash.

What you need to do is go into Outlook set up and look for a tick box that will say something like "Delete messages on server" or "Keep messages on server". If it says Delete then untick it. If it says Keep then tick it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I would guess that you have set up Outlook to use POP to copy your Inbox to your PC. This is probably also set to delete the messages on the server, hence why they are in the trash.

What you need to do is go into Outlook set up and look for a tick box that will say something like "Delete messages on server" or "Keep messages on server". If it says Delete then untick it. If it says Keep then tick it.

I am not very clear at this sort of thing, but manged to tick the box. Gone back to Bt, Yahoo, Emails in Trash have disappeared , but I have 36 emails in my draft folder, none in my inbox. My sent folder says none, but when I press sent all my sent ones comes up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    I am not very clear at this sort of thing, but manged to tick the box. Gone back to Bt, Yahoo, Emails in Trash have disappeared , but I have 36 emails in my draft folder, none in my inbox. My sent folder says none, but when I press sent all my sent ones comes up.
    Ticking that box won't have any effect on messages that have already been deleted. Outlook won't copy it's Inbox back to the server. It's a one way process, from the server to Outlook. All it means is that any future messages won't be deleted from the server by Outlook.

There is an alternative mail protocol called IMAP which is better at synchronising mail boxes between multiple devices. But I am not sure Yahoo support it fully. I have a Yahoo mail account and I don't recall seeing much mention of IMAP on there.

But if the messages in the Draft folder are the same as those in your Outlook Inbox then try copying one to the BTYahoo Inbox and see if it stays there. Use one that you don't mind losing just in case. :)

The Sent folders probably never synchronise. That is fairly normal so you will only have a copy of Sent mail on the device that sent it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anyway I can cancel the Outlook, as I was only going to use it for a Website that only took Outlook Express.

I have sent a message in Bt.Yahoo which seems to worked O.K. and received one back from the same person. as i have important emails to send
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't use it.

There is no need to use Outlook for anything. What may have happened with this website is that it had a "Mail To" HTML link on it. When you click this it opens whatever is set in Windows as your default e-mail client and automatically fills in the To field and possibly the subject as well.

In your case the default e-mail client is Outlook. It does not mean the website can only use Outlook. Much as Microsoft would like it otherwise, Outlook has to work with the recognised e-mail protocols and formats. The very same protocols and formats that every e-mail client has to work with. I suspect the website actually couldn't care less what e-mail client you have and would have worked perfectly well with any of the alternatives, such as Thunderbird, had one of those been set as your default e-mail client.

The problem seems to be that now you've woken it up it's gone and downloaded all your messages and deleted them from the server. If it had been configured from the start not to delete then you could have simply closed it down and continued doing e-mail the way you always have been doing it. Unless you have some means to retrieve the messages Outlook deleted and get them back in your online mail box you might have a problem putting them all back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for all advice. I eventually rang up BT Technical, where they take over my computor. It's back to normal now.
  • linlamlinlam Posts: 9,023
    Forum Member
    I don't like Outlook Express. How do I get back to Windows Live? Any help would be appreciated, before hubby gets home and sees what I've done ... again :(
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linlam wrote: »
    I don't like Outlook Express. How do I get back to Windows Live? Any help would be appreciated, before hubby gets home and sees what I've done ... again :(
    It would be better to know exactly what you've done so far, but you can download Windows Mail from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/essentials-other-programs?T1=t2
  • linlamlinlam Posts: 9,023
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    It would be better to know exactly what you've done so far, but you can download Windows Mail from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/essentials-other-programs?T1=t2

I just downloaded Outlook from a Windows email 'one of those 'upgrade to Outlook now' ones, with the button to hit on to... as you can probably guess, I'm a bit of a technophobe, and should leave well alone!
    I'll have a go at your link.

Thanks for your help :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linlam wrote: »
    I just downloaded Outlook from a Windows email 'one of those 'upgrade to Outlook now' ones, with the button to hit on to... as you can probably guess, I'm a bit of a technophobe, and should leave well alone!
    I'll have a go at your link.

Thanks for your help :)
    It sounds like you have just migrated the website from the old Hotmail/Live to Outlook.com.

Downloading the Windows Live Mail isn't going to help. Leave well alone!