(out now in the US, released June 14 in the UK) WTF?!?!?

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
The track in question is I really like you by carly Rae Jepson but this probably isn't a unique case. Why wait so long between releasing it in one country and the other? In this day and age its only going to increase legal streaming and privacy and reduce sales. And why say US and then UK? What about Australia, Japan, Norway etc..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/feature/a632776/playlist-10-tracks-you-need-to-hear-carly-rae-jepsen-haim-m83.html#~p5YXOnHIc00aCX

A good track but I'm not looking forward to music channels and commercial pop stations playing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over like Bruno Mars

Comments

• Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, can't believe they are expecting Carly's fans here to wait a couple of more months.

Then they wonder why people go on torrent sites. :D
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's a lose lose situation. :D

If a song is released now it wouldn't chart very highly due to little promotion so fan's would moan.
    If a song is held off a few months to build momentum for a better chart peak, fan's moan.

I personally thinks they should be released at the same time everywhere. :D
  • CalpowellCalpowell Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I've already downloaded it off YouTube and have it in my iTunes library :D
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I have been using iTunes USA for ages now.
    Its a revelation
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    Is this song actually destined to be a hit though? I played it on YouTube out of interest and the chorus really put me off and I didn't bother listening to the entire track.

The only reason why they hold back releases in the UK is to generate weeks of pointless pre-order sales. When the single is eventually released, all those pre-orders go towards its first week sales. Its a poisoned chalice so expect a sharp decrease in sales in its second week and plummet out of the top 40 unless the song does well on Spotify.

The only way the release would be brought forward will be if a Precision Tunes version of the song takes off and goes top 10 on iTunes. Just like Precision Tunes - Payphone which astonishingly made the official UK top 10 the week before Maroon 5's original went to #1.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They did that with Britney's Work Bitch as well. It was released everywhere on September 15/16th 2013 (including Ireland) but they made the UK fans wait til November that year to download it. No wonder people download illegally. Is it possible to use iTunes US without a US billing address?

EDIT: Just remembered they did it with Charli XCX's Sucker and The Saturdays' What About Us. Why can't they just release them at the same time everywhere??? Would make life easier and people would be less likely to download illegally.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did that with Britney's Work Bitch as well. It was released everywhere on September 15/16th 2013 (including Ireland) but they made the UK fans wait til November that year to download it. No wonder people download illegally. Is it possible to use iTunes US without a US billing address?

EDIT: Just remembered they did it with Charli XCX's Sucker and The Saturdays' What About Us. Why can't they just release them at the same time everywhere??? Would make life easier and people would be less likely to download illegally.

They do it with about 80% of single releases. The UK is always the last territory to get a single/album. Even UK singles get held back for ages in this country, Duke Dumont's "Won't Look Back" for example was first put on his soundcloud in mid June, but wasn't released til the end of August. A whole two and a half month wait.

It's ridiculous and is something that needs to be stopped.
  • CalpowellCalpowell Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Cher Lloyds Sirens was released early March last year however it didn't get a UK release date until July 20th, almost 5 months later than other countries got it
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    I've always thought the iTunes store should just be one giant international store.

At least that way people can just buy music as and when. I bought Take Me To Church by Hozier on the 19th April 2014 yet it looks likely to become one of 2015's biggest selling singles.

What difference does it make if I buy a single in April 2014, or in January 2015 when it's become a lot more popular?

I just think UK record companies have a fixation with chart positions. They would prefer to have a #1 single that sells 200k and spends 8 weeks in the top 40 rather than a long running top 20 single that sells 250k over 6 months.

Then again, this has been happening on iTunes as far back as 2006 so if the situation hasn't changed in the last 9 years, I very much doubt it is going to change in the future.