Long fingernail on the little finger - What's it all about?

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
I haven't seen it for a while but every now and again I used to notice that some men would have one extra long fingernail on one of their little fingers, while all the other nails remained short.

Can anyone shed some light on what this is all about?

Comments

• ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to do with drugs.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nose picking finger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snorting cocaine
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it for a while but every now and again I used to notice that some men would have one extra long fingernail on one of their little fingers, while all the other nails remained short.

useful if you want to take a little bump.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    It's to do with drugs.

I remember years ago a friend told me that they grow the nail long to scoop up cocaine...but I assumed she was kidding.

I thought perhaps it was a cultural thing (but not drug culture?).
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it a lot on young south-east Asian men in Malaysia last year.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

HAHAHA, stop watching This Morning!

Nose picking would be my guess.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember years ago a friend told me that they grow the nail long to scoop up cocaine...but I assumed she was kidding.

I thought perhaps it was a cultural thing (but not drug culture?).

I heard that it was about rolling a joint.:confused:
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For scratching down blackboards thus making people's teeth want to fall out...

or possibly drugs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I saw it a lot on young south-east Asian men in Malaysia last year.

That's another point I was going to mention. I noticed it a lot of youngish Asian (looking like South Indian perhaps) men and some black men also. I never saw it on an English man (or so I remember).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    HAHAHA, stop watching This Morning!

Nose picking would be my guess.

I'm not watching This Morning! Did they have something aout it on there? What was the conclusion?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG I know someone who has that too! I noticed this. I don't think this person takes drugs though?

Interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's another point I was going to mention. I noticed it a lot of youngish Asian (looking like South Indian perhaps) men and some black men also. I never saw it on an English man (or so I remember).

According to a bit of a google it's got something to do with status. Long fingernails indicate that you don't do much manual labour.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mostly a drug thing (cocaine).

But some guys may grow it for ease of nose picking, ear wax gouging, griff nut (dont ask) clipping etc.
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    According to a bit of a google it's got something to do with status. Long fingernails indicate that you don't do much manual labour.

It used to be a status thing I believe. Women who grew their nails that long, were unable to do anything themselves, and had to be cared for in everything they wanted, in that way showing everyone that they were able to afford that.

How would you wipe your bum for instance if you had nails like this:
    http://strangepictures.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-longest-fingernails-in-

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting.

So it appears there are several reasons for the extra-long pinkie nail phenomenon. So far we have...scooping up coke, packing a joint, picking bogeys, showing the world you don't do manual labour...

Any more?
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was for cocaine scooping/sniffing too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh ha google is my friend
    In some Asian cultures men may also grow long fingernails, or only the nail on the little finger, to show that they do not do much manual labor, but instead work in an office setting.

http://www.answers.com/topic/nail-anatomy
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nour wrote: »
    It used to be a status thing I believe. Women who grew their nails that long, were unable to do anything themselves, and had to be cared for in everything they wanted, in that way showing everyone that they were able to afford that.

How would you wipe your bum for instance if you had nails like this:
    http://strangepictures.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-longest-fingernails-in-

:eek:

fookin' carefully :D

(althought the link didn't work - i can guess which picture it is!)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

So it appears there are several reasons for the extra-long pinkie nail phenomenon. So far we have...scooping up coke, packing a joint, picking bogeys, showing the world you don't do manual labour...

Any more?

You're 20% Lazy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That'll teach me to sit in the reply box while I google ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.

Any more?

Funnily enough though I never saw the long fingernail on any wealthy Asians, it was always on young, unkempt men selling knock-off watches in Petaling Street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I thought it was something to do with playing the guitar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was to do with playing the guitar? but i thought that was the thumb nail:confused:
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    (althought the link didn't work - i can guess which picture it is!)
    This one, I should think:

http://strangepictures.net/2008/01/14/the-longest-fingernails-in-the-worldguinness/

I wonder how long it took to grow them (and why)?