Bernie Nolan - cancer return

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    My heart goes out to Bernie and her family, and I just absolutely seethe when I think of her home getting robbed by some scumbag. Talk about the lowest of the low. I hope Bernie is comfortable and the family is being looked after. I've experienced losses due to cancer and other terminal illness and you go through such a lot of mixed and confusing emotions. It really is horrendous.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Mrs Brown?

Mrs Johnson is the mother I think, or am I thinking of someone else?

No, you're right. Stupid me. :o Must've been getting me wires crossed. As I said, I've not seen BB, just know about the Nolan association with the musical.

ETA: Wonder if I've got mixed up with Mrs. Brown's Boys, lol! :p
  • tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Mrs Brown?

Mrs Johnson is the mother I think, or am I thinking of someone else?

Sorry my fault was typing this and for some reason Brown came in my head..
    Yes The 4 Nolan sisters have played Mrs Johnson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been watching Coleen on this morning, talking about Bernie's book with a lump in my throat.
    I know she doesn't want sympathy but, blimey, what a woman! Coleen was saying she can't sing any more because her voice/ chest has been affected, which is heartbreaking but the great thing is that she has all those recordings to immortalize her voice. I can well believe Coleen when she said she didn't want to do the interview (because she's aware there'll be accusations about 'jumping on the bandwagon'- not to mention how painful it must be) but she's doing it for Bernie and her story.

Well, Bernie and family, if this gets back to you- keep on fighting. You've already surpassed the doctors' expectations. They gave you February and we're now in May. Let's hope you can enjoy some sunshine now the weather's improving as well as the family coming together- probably more so than they have in years. Enjoy every precious minute and allow yourself to be pampered!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh its so sad, it must be awful for her and her family
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Just been watching Coleen on this morning, talking about Bernie's book with a lump in my throat.
    I know she doesn't want sympathy but, blimey, what a woman! Coleen was saying she can't sing any more because her voice/ chest has been affected, which is heartbreaking but the great thing is that she has all those recordings to immortalize her voice. I can well believe Coleen when she said she didn't want to do the interview (because she's aware there'll be accusations about 'jumping on the bandwagon'- not to mention how painful it must be) but she's doing it for Bernie and her story.

Well, Bernie and family, if this gets back to you- keep on fighting. You've already surpassed the doctors' expectations. They gave you February and we're now in May. Let's hope you can enjoy some sunshine now the weather's improving as well as the family coming together- probably more so than they have in years. Enjoy every precious minute and allow yourself to be pampered!

:cry::cry:
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What beautiful, heartfelt words, now I have a lump in my throat. :(
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What beautiful, heartfelt words, now I have a lump in my throat. :(

Same here! :(
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member

Not only that, brilliant LIVE performances on TOTP on Youtube. Don't Make Waves and Attention To Me being two of my favourites. A really talented beautiful lady.

I don't usually use those emoticons or whatever they're called but I have to. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why Bernie's story has got to me more than most; it just has. I don't want to give her 'sympathy', just a big rush of love and good wishes. Like I said earlier in the thread, I hope someone is making her laugh. It seems her family have gathered around her and I hope, on her good days, they're having a really good reminisce and catch-up. Coleen did well to speak as she did in the interview because she knew Bernie wouldn't have wanted her getting upset. She was honest but put forward the 'positives'. Nobody has any illusions about how gravely ill she is but I hope the time they're all having together is immeasurably meaningful and poignant.

If only for a miracle, eh? :)
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I don't know why Bernie's story has got to me more than most; it just has. I don't want to give her 'sympathy', just a big rush of love and good wishes. :)

This.

I've found Bernie and her sisters so inspiring during this awful time. I can only hope I would be able to be as strong and dignified as they have been if anything happened to me. I too wish them love.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I watched Coleen on This Morning & as previous poster said for some reason I find Bernie's story exceptionally sad, I'm not normally a "crier" but I did shed a tear today.
    A remarkable, brave lady who I hope finds some comfort knowing her sisters will be there for her daughter when the time comes.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Keep getting the mirror this week to read bits about her book, it's so sad it's really got to me :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep getting the mirror this week to read bits about her book, it's so sad it's really got to me :(

Yeah, you can also read some of it online, on the Mirror's website. :)

I really hope the past can be put where it belongs and that what's happened with Bernie helps the family to re-establish their bonds. I don't have any siblings and although I know siblings don't always get on, I would have loved to have what the Nolans have shared over their formative years.

As I said earlier in this thread, it's good to recount the positives of Bernie's achievements as well as accepting the sadness of her current situation. My dad used to book them when he was a club secretary back in their earlier days (when they were just kids) and found them adorable. My mum told me that one of the littlest sat on his knee while her older sisters performed. I'd always thought it was Coleen but my mum assures me that no, it was Bernie. I wish he was still here to ask.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Berne nolans husband will be on "Lorraine" at 8.45
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    Berne nolans husband will be on "Lorraine" at 8.45

Watched him..what a lovely man ..Lorraine looked so upset talking about Bernie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed it :( What did he have to say? How is she?

Edit: Found it.

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/hottopics/bernie-nolan-husband-now-and-forever/

Lorraine really seemed to be struggling to hold it together at the end.
    Steve is remarkable. He's not used to being in the limelight, so that can't have been easy. Their daughter, Erin, is gorgeous. Going to be a heartbreaker.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww gosh, that was hard for Steve, but Lorraine spoke so warmly and sensitively. Very moving. Thanks for posting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just looking for an update when I saw tweets just posted claiming she had passed away, one from someone claiming she is his aunt. Sad news if its true or is this something that happens regularly on Twitter? None of the main news sites have mentioned it. :confused::(
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    I was just looking for an update when I saw tweets just posted claiming she had passed away, one from someone claiming she is his aunt. Sad news if its true or is this something that happens regularly on Twitter? None of the main news sites have mentioned it. :confused::(

There was this tweet from Lisa Riley
    Lisa Jane riley ‏@Reallisariley 18m
    RIP Bernie! We had such a laugh when we worked together! The angels are waiting for you as is my mum with a large glass! Always in our heart

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    There was this tweet from Lisa Riley
    Lisa Jane riley ‏@Reallisariley 18m
    RIP Bernie! We had such a laugh when we worked together! The angels are waiting for you as is my mum with a large glass! Always in our heart

:(

Yeah, I have just seen that one, I'm not a twitter user so wasn't sure if these things get mistakenly posted regularly, but I doubt a friend would tweet if it wasn't true. I shall remain skeptical until I see anything official.

If it is true, I hope she went gently and with no pain :(
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    :cry:
  • freaky_fridayfreaky_friday Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    It may well be true but the immediate family might be waiting to release an official statement. Although it was expected, it doesn't mean it's any less traumatic/upsetting for everyone, and it may take them some time to make it public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bernie-nolan-dead-singer-loses-2024875

Feel like a death-hag right now, and a bit freaked out it broke on twitter just when I was snooping for an update on her.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news. Condolences to her family. :(