Friends Gripes

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Except for the fact that they met several times in flashbacks throughout the show's run. :D

Flashbacks don't count :p
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I think they definitely do. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Lol, I think they definitely do. :D

Na you must be wrong, Monica and Chandler only met once :p
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey has a hernia, does some acting jobs, then in between times seeing Monica and Chandler gets his medical insurance sorted, has a hernia op and recovers sufficiently for Phoebe to hit him with a baseball bat? My Dad had a hernia op and it took him weeks to recover!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Another gripe is when Rachel said to Ross "How serious are you about keeping Ben in your life?" when pregnant with Emma

That's a selfish thing to say even if it was a joke

Ross didn't mention his daughter moving to Paris once when Rachel was offered the job, he was only sorry that Rachel wouLD be leaving.

I don't think we can take all that too seriously though, if they had kid-centric lives we'd have been left with a very boring show!
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was played for laughs but another thing that always annoyed me was how un-supportive they all was of each others jobs (Mainly Ross & Chandler) it would always annoy me whenever Ross would start telling them something about what happened at his work they would all groan and acted disinterested....really winds me up :D
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm watching the episode where Rachel meets her old college friend who she kissed while drunk.
    Joey is perving about it.
    But in an earlier season she talks about how Mindy taught her how to kiss when they were teenagers, and Joey pervs then too.
    Why are Joey and Phoebe so surprised Rachel kissed a girl before?
    Forum Member
    And also,Monica and Rachel kissed for Joey and Chandler so again it's not so shocking she kissed a girl in college
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching the episode where Rachel meets her old college friend who she kissed while drunk.
    Joey is perving about it.
    But in an earlier season she talks about how Mindy taught her how to kiss when they were teenagers, and Joey pervs then too.
    Why are Joey and Phoebe so surprised Rachel kissed a girl before?

Joey wasn't surprised as much as happy at the thought.

Phoebe in one of her many annoying traits refused to believe Rachel because heaven forbid anyone else in the gang do anything remotely wild.
    Forum Member
    Maybe, I dunno it just doesn't seem that "wild" for Rachel

Anyway new nit picky sad gripe !
    After sacrificing her dream dress to book the Swing Kings, I wonder if Monica noticed they changed their name to Jungle Swing ;)
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,966
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    In the episode where Ross accidentally takes Rachels jumper homes, then wears it out on a date, it's actually quite baggy on him - really, size 0 Jennifer Anistons jumper fits you? And it's not the style of jumper because Ross's date is wearing the same, and it's a snug fit!

Yeah, that was bad. Although I've come up with my own theory in that it wsn't actually a jumper for herself and she had bought it for a large friend, relative, whatever. She says "Ross has one of my bags", not her new jumper.

Anyway, I doubt that's what was intended and I do appreciate I am clutching at staws here...

They SHOULD have had his date wear a baggy style top whilst Ross's would've been skin tight - that would have made complete sense.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted, got my facts wrong :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebe when she was annoyed at Rachel because Rachel didn't want to have sex with a random guy that Phoebe brought to her apartment.
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In The One In Masapequa (sp?);

Monica is preparing her speech and has a photo of the Gellar's old dog Chi Chi.
    One minute, Monica refers to Chi Chi as being female, then the next, as male! Through the episode they refer to Chi Chi as 'her' and 'him'!

Such a daft mistake!
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Joey says to Rachel "Remember when you had a crush on me when you first met me?" and then she nods. But Rachel actually never showed this in the first series (when Moncia introduced her to him and Phoebe). Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she didn't have a crush on him until Season 9? She also had a crush on him in the "What could have been" episode" But apart from that, I don't remember Rachel having a crush on him in the first few series.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched The One with the Apothecary Table today and i didn't believe that Pheobe actually liked her things to be "one of a kind" to me it seemed so forced and out of character.

She's never mentioned this in the past and i still find this storyline the oddest one out of all of Pheobe's storyline's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where Monica catered for her Mums dinner party - Monica was hurt and offended that her mum had prepared lasagne in case she 'pulled a Monica' ie screwed up. But in fact her Mum was right, Monica did screw up by losing a false nail in the quiche! I thought Monica and her outrage were in shaky ground!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad someone else bumped this thread!

In the episode in season 3 where Monica and Richard and Ross and Rachel both want to have sex the girls seem to keep a shared stock of condoms in the bathroom! Who in their right mind would not keep them in the bedroom? Ridiculous!
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I watched The One with the Apothecary Table today and i didn't believe that Pheobe actually liked her things to be "one of a kind" to me it seemed so forced and out of character.

She's never mentioned this in the past and i still find this storyline the oddest one out of all of Pheobe's storyline's.

Don't think its out of character at all.

She is essentially a hippy who has plenty of weird beliefs:

1.) Being against big firms
    2.) Being against Christmas tree selling
    3.) Thinking her mum was in a cat
    4.) Not believing in evolution
    5.) Thinking going to a dentist would kill someone

The list goes on...
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one moment which I find mildly irritating in the episode where Monica and Phoebe are reunited with their friend Amanda. After Monica agrees over the phone to meet up with Amanda, her exchange with Phoebe is along the lines of:

Phoebe: You would not hold up well under torture!
    Monica: Oh and you would?
    Phoebe: I did!

Phoebe's voice when she says "I did!" and the implication of more wackiness to her backstory annoy me.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    The prom video one was on again and Chandler seemed surprised by how big Monica was .. Buuuuuuuuut it's because of him calling her fat as a teen that she lost all the weight ..... Gripety gripe gripe

Tenuous explanation coming up, but here goes...

Chandler probably didn't notice Monica much back in the day and made a throwaway comment at the time, in an insensitively youthful way, not realising Monica would take it to heart and act on it. Then, when they became friends, he had probably forgotten how fat she was until reminded by the video, when he expressed his shock.

Clutching at straws, I know, but worth a try! :p;):D
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    Tenuous explanation coming up, but here goes...

Chandler probably didn't notice Monica much back in the day and made a throwaway comment at the time, in an insensitively youthful way, not realising Monica would take it to heart and act on it. Then, when they became friends, he had probably forgotten how fat she was until reminded by the video, when he expressed his shock.

Clutching at straws, I know, but worth a try! :p;):D
    I think thats a solid effort :) well done
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    So glad someone else bumped this thread!

In the episode in season 3 where Monica and Richard and Ross and Rachel both want to have sex the girls seem to keep a shared stock of condoms in the bathroom! Who in their right mind would not keep them in the bedroom? Ridiculous!

Yea it seems a bit odd they would share something like that but it's no weirder than Rachel doing her pregnancy test in Monicas bathroom and leaving it in the bin. No boundaries those two!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never actually noticed that before, but that's right.

At that point in the show Rachel didn't live with Monica so why she would do a pregnancy test there is strange.

But the fact she left the pregnancy test in a waste paper bin for anyone to stumble across is one of the most popular TV cliches. That always happens.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

I watched that episode two days ago - I think the whole episode is just an excuse to mention Pottery Barn as much as possible, and any plot device pulled out of thin air will do! One of my least favourite episodes - so much shouting in it - but at least it gets Janine out of the way.