Help needed! Iphone or experia z???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Please help, i cannot decide between the sony experia z and the iphone 4s or 5.

I love the look of the experia, but im under pressure from people to get an iphone. the reviews seem to say that xperia is just better than the iphone 5.

any tips or opinions please?!

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    What phone do you have now?

What's your budget on pay as you go/pay monthly?

What do you use your phone for?

What do you want to use the iPhone/Sony Xperia for?
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think the Xperia Z is better then get the Xperia Z? An how the hell are you under pressure to get an iPhone? Are you 12 or something, or a fully grown adult?

Both phones make calls, receive calls, send texts, receive texts, send and receive emails, browse the internet, have pretty much the same apps,

Just get which ever YOU prefer.
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    So you think the Xperia Z is better then get the Xperia Z? An how the hell are you under pressure to get an iPhone? Are you 12 or something, or a fully grown adult?

Both phones make calls, receive calls, send texts, receive texts, send and receive emails, browse the internet, have pretty much the same apps,

Just get which ever YOU prefer.

If you don't want to answer my question list then read this^

It's what i'd say anyway even if you did answer the questions.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    xperia z is huge, may be too big if you have small hands.

Iphone - you have to pay for most apps.

It depends though on what you use it for, budget etc!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Wow. Didnt expect such a bad tempered answer, thanks hugh. I thought this was the place to discuss the latest phones. I guess its just another place to let off steam.
    Forum Member
    Thanks anderson, i didnt know about the iphone apps so thanks for that, :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphone is a luxury brand. Sony is a good phone. Its the difference between Audi and Honda.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    What phone do you have now?

What's your budget on pay as you go/pay monthly?

What do you use your phone for?

What do you want to use the iPhone/Sony Xperia for?

I have an experia now, but a lot of my mates have iphones and they say it would be beneficial to get an iphone for facetime etc but im not sure it would actually benefit me that much as i dont know what else there is other than facetime. My phone is mostly used for internet and texting. Budget is up to 40 a month. Thanks for your help and so sorry if my query has pissed people off
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone has a proprietary system for video calling called FaceTime. It's only on the iPhone. Their iPhone to iPhone messaging system which works over wifi and 3G is called iMessage, and again that's a system that's only on iOS. That might be why your friends are suggesting you get an iPhone.

There are other video calling and direct messaging apps (e.g. Whatsapp) which are cross platform so you could use on an Android phone and your friends could use the same thing on iOS.

The poster above who says most apps on iOS have to be paid for isn't correct. There are loads of free apps on iOS - and plenty of others that are only 69p.

Get what you want, that's the key, but if you have £40 a month to spend, you can easily get either the Xperia or the iPhone 5 for that much!
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    *paul* wrote: »
    Iphone is a luxury brand. Sony is a good phone. Its the difference between Audi and Honda.

Rubbish.

The iPhone USED to be a premium phone. Never luxury though. But the Xperia Z oozes quality the iphone 5 cant match.

Personally i would get none. The Xperia Z screen isn't very good at all..

I would hang off for the Galaxy S4.
    Forum Member
    carysf wrote: »
    I have an experia now, but a lot of my mates have iphones and they say it would be beneficial to get an iphone for facetime etc but im not sure it would actually benefit me that much as i dont know what else there is other than facetime. My phone is mostly used for internet and texting. Budget is up to 40 a month. Thanks for your help and so sorry if my query has pissed people off

(btw i meant to quote hugh's bit where he said "get which one you prefer" not the whole thing.)

£40 a month!!!!!!! :eek: Get both ;)

I think grumpyoldbat has covered the facetime thing. To be honest you can download skype or whatsapp on any phone so facetime is a bit of a gimmick really. Not a deciding factor to buy an iPhone there.

The Xperia Z has a bigger/higher res screen so that will be better for browsing/watching videos/pictures etc.... Like i said above you can video call from an Xperia Z to an iPhone using the apps above. You've used an Xperia before so the learning curve on the new phone wouldn't be difficult. To be honest, for the price and spec the Xperia is the best one. You can get it under £30pm with mins/data.

iPhones are easy to use but you could say that about the Xperia. If you already use iTunes or the apple ecosystem then the iPhone is a good choice. Also if you find the Xperia too big then the iPhone is at a nice pocketable size. Also you wouldn't have to faff around with third party app as facetime would work seamlessly between you and your mates iPhones. But like others have said the iPhone is more expensive and apps can cost more than on the Xperia.

In the end, and like i said above, It's up to you to decide. Play around with them both in store and then make a decision.
    Forum Member

Rubbish. The iPhone 5 is heavily outdated and should not cost more than £320. Apple are overcharging and always have.

I hate it when people blindly support a company on everything they do. Have some perspective.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sony is just as luxury as Apple tbh. These days most kids have an iPhone, it's not the style symbol it used to be.

To answer the OP, the Xperia Z is the better phone, but as other people have said, it is down to personal preference. Some people are happy to settle for less. :)
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well do you want a phone running iOS or one running Android?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The Z is by a long way the better phone as you already know from you original post.. So it's a simple question of better phone or follow what you've been told and get an iPhone.

There is nothing else to consider really.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want your phone to receive support dont buy the Sony, jesus what a nightmare, Xperis S is still buggy as hell with unfixed problems that have been present since ICS was available to it (last August).

Knowing Sony the Xperia Z will be the flagship phone for 3 months then it will be superceeded as they release about 800 phones a year.

Beautiful phones but the worlds worst support, root it and go your own way.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sony is just as luxury as Apple tbh. These days most kids have an iPhone, it's not the style symbol it used to be.

To answer the OP, the Xperia Z is the better phone, but as other people have said, it is down to personal preference. Some people are happy to settle for less. :)

It isn't really anymore. I see every tom dick and Harry with them. I was having this argument with my dad a few weeks back who was trying to claim that it's still a premium phone that people aspire to have. Anyhow I think it's probably good for people who aren't that heavily into technology and want something that is easy to use/ first time smart phone users, however I think the same could be said about the galaxy ace or the the s3 mini.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone from an iphone 4S to the Xperia Z and its a really nice phone - I'd recommend it.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

Audi A4 is an overpriced Skoda Octavia.

Honda has a prestige arm called Acura which is responsible for some real envelope pushing stuff (Acura is Tony Stark's car of choice ;):D )
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm awaiting delivery of an unlocked XperiaZ I've won in a competition. I'm undecided whether to keep it or flog it. I went to Phones4u today to have a look at one and jeez.... it's flipping enormous!
    It looked 4 times bigger than my current Sony xperia Mini and there's no way I could suddenly lug such a monster around.
    I dunno how big the latest iPhone is but I'd definitely consider simply thinking about looking at the dimensions of the respective phones
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »

Honda has a prestige arm called Acura which is responsible for some real envelope pushing stuff (Acura is Tony Stark's car of choice ;):D )

He drove an Audi r8 in the first 2 iron man movies and a Acura NSX in the avengers.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just dont get the wanting iphone. By anyone. In my opinion my s3 mini is as 'good' and mine is only lower end of current android market. I feel a top end android would blow it away.
    Forum Member
    thanks everyone for your comments! its such a hard decision nowadays because it has to last you a lot longer. its quite a commitment!
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Facetime = Skype

iMessage = Whatsapp

Get the Sony.

More things on Android are free and it is a much more free and flexible OS
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »

The Octavia is built on the same platform as the Jetta, golf, Audi A3, Not the Audi A4. But they're very different cars although the Octavia is not cheap anymore.

Yes the qualities improved but in price they're more expensive than ford focus and vauxhall Astra for decent spec.