SKY + Error Code 29

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Hi All

Switch on the Sky+ today and the screen comes up with "No signal begin received" and the number 29.

Strange thing is it was working fine yesterday!

Tried switching box off and back on, but did'nt work.

Is this a fault with the box, dish or both!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put the box into standby and allow the hard drive to spin down and then unplug at the mains

Leave the box for 5 to 10 mins , then whilst re-applying the power hold down the back up button on the front of the box

All the lights on the front of the box will illuminate and If you are connected via scart you will get an on screen message " Software updating " take your finger off the back up button

When the box as DL the software it will go into standby , again leave for a few min before bringing the box out of standby

Hopefully you'll be sorted
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be helpful to know what these codes actually meant even the engineers don't seem to know. When my box died it showed "error code 12"
  • Zaphod_BZaphod_B Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote:
    It would be helpful to know what these codes actually meant even the engineers don't seem to know. When my box died it showed "error code 12"
    There is a reason why Sky don't know what these error codes are because they are produced by a random number generator.

They figured that because the boxes fail for random reasons, they would install a random number generator to match.

This also matches the random answer generator that the CSA's are taught to use during training. If a question comes up that they can't answer, they hit the button on their desktop software and "Hey Presto!" :D

Z

(only joking!)

No, it would seem sensible if these error codes meant something - and on this forum they could be collated so that we knew what the ***k was happening to the boxes and how best to fix them - but sadly no.

Kinda like AOL really. My AOL account is bugg*r*d (well the s/ware is anyhow) and keeps coming up with an error message when I try to connect. It connects on either the second or third attempt (sometimes taking up to 10 mins) and this is on Broadband too I might add. Phoned the techincal mupp*ts at AOL and read out the error code hoping they'd say "Oh I know what that is and here's how to fix it!" Some chance! Obviously not on Gupta's crib sheet! [/rant]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Did the software update, re-started box, but still coming up with "No Signal being received"

Oh well engineer will be out this Wednesday, so just have to wait and find out then, what has happened.
  • DeadParrotDeadParrot Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Same thing happened to our sky.

Turned out some ****** had been on the roof of the close and unplugged our cables from the dish and plugged their own in!!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DeadParrot wrote: »
    Same thing happened to our sky.

Turned out some ****** had been on the roof of the close and unplugged our cables from the dish and plugged their own in!!

Obviously not a really clever person then, as it wouldn't take long to work out who it was :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Well the Sky engineer called out this morning, and had to replace the Sky + box.

So if your ever get "No signal Received" Code 29 its a new box you need.
  • zestfulmasszestfulmass Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Code 29 means no sat signal. So no it doesn't automatically need a new box. The dish as you said was disconnected. Now forgive if I sound stupid but wouldn't that make the osm appear.

Try making a brew with the kettle unplugged. Would that need a new kettle??
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dish as you said was disconnected.

When did he say his dish was disconnected?

DeadParrot said someone had disconnected his dish, but i never saw that said by seddsmt.
  • zestfulmasszestfulmass Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry just went to the bottom of the page.
    Anyway no signal is no signal. which can be caused by at least 3 things before it can even be discovered as the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

See error codes http://www.satcure.co.uk/digirep.htm#missing

Oh, whoops, I just resurrected an old thread. :o