iPad storage

James30James30 Posts: 5,196
Forum Member
For iPad, is everything on iCloud so you don't need to save much on storage on the iPad?

i.e Does everything that's in iCloud need to also be saved on the iPad device?

I'm wondering as to whether 16GB will be enough for some music and books, then of course apps fill some space.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purchased apps, music, books, films, and TV programmes are available "in the cloud" and can be re-downloaded whenever you want.

Non-purchased (e.g. ripped) music is only available in the cloud if you subscribe to iTunes Match. If you subscribe to iTunes Match, all your "Matched" (or uploaded if there's no match) music is available for re-downloading, plus that and your purchased music can also be streamed.

With iCloud, you get 5GB free storage for documents and settings etc. Purchased stuff doesn't count towards this, so unless you have tonnes of documents and photos then the 5GB iCloud storage should be fine.

As for the actual iPad size... It depends on how much you want on there at a time. Although a lot of stuff is in the cloud, you still need space on the iPad for anything you want *on* the iPad. Apps and music and so on still take up space if they're there on the iPad waiting to be used.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I have an iPod Classic with storage space on it, is there a way i can use that with a connection lead to the iPad?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The iPad doesn't support external storage.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    If you want to store music/videos etc then an alternative is a portable WiFi storage device such as those by Kingston or Seagate which you connect to via WiFi and can watch videos. I don't know much about them however and they have mixed reviews but seem to work fine most of the time.