The New Rickki Lake Show - Cancelled!!

TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apparently Fox Channels latest acquisition over here, The New Rickki Lake Show has been cancelled in the USA!!

http://news.yahoo.com/ricki-lake-show-canceled-215701570.html

Why does this country always invest in low-rated, cheap programming from the USA which dont last long and yet very good long lasting good quality shows from the USA have never seen the light of day here??

The thing is, with this country, if its CHEAP we will have it as we are not customed to spending large amounts of money on good entertainment!!

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Why does this country always invest in low-rated, cheap programming from the USA which dont last long and yet very good long lasting good quality shows from the USA have never seen the light of day here??
    The problem is that most (if not all) of these shows are bought before they have aired. So exactly how are they (ie Fox UK) supposed to know what will be a hit and what won't?
    The thing is, with this country, if its CHEAP we will have it as we are not customed to spending large amounts of money on good entertainment!!
    So the £1m or so per episode of "Doctor Who" is... what? Small change?
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that most (if not all) of these shows are bought before they have aired. So exactly how are they (ie Fox UK) supposed to know what will be a hit and what won't?

So the £1m or so per episode of "Doctor Who" is... what? Small change?

Dr. Who is BRITISH, not AMERICAN!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Dr. Who is BRITISH, not AMERICAN!!!

You said Britain wouldn't spend large amounts of money on quality entertainment. Carl.Waring gave an example of where we do, the Country of origin of the entertainment had nothing to do with your original comment, so you may wish to revise it, if you meant something more specific?

In fact, why not just cut to the chase and slate broadcasters for not showing Breaking Bad? It's pretty obvious you're sat there think why haven't UK broadcasters picked up [Insert Random Low Rating But Critically Acclaimed TV Show Here], so why not just say it outright?
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Who is part of the British culture/establishment so obviously all stops will be pulled out to broadcast this, along with other British cultural programmes!!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Lake is quality broadcasting? Its dog crap and it always has been. Most of the "stories" on there are made up with actors.

Plus the BBC puts some serious money into high quality shows as well. The documentaries are awesome for a start. Also the BBC teamed up with HBO to make Rome which was very good.

Plus shows like the wire, deadwood etc have all had some level of UK viewing, albeit at dodgy hours.
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Fox Channels latest acquisition over here, The New Rickki Lake Show has been cancelled in the USA!!

OK which good quality shows from the USA have not been shown in the UK?????? Because I can't think of any big US hitters that have not made it to UK TV.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been cut already?! Wow. I wondered if Fox's decision to broadcast it here was (in addition to carl.waring's reasoning) due to her popularity when her programme used to be shown on CH4? If I can recall it was like a new format back then with some topics that weren't up for usual discussion on UK chat shows.
    However, now, I doubt there is anything not discussed anymore! Ricki's no longer an innovator and of the two episodes I've seen, unfortunately I was a bit bored. And the format's a bit false too, like one of those info-commercials.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Bollocks to Ricki Lake.

Someone needs to start showing Real Time with Bill Maher over here.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Dr. Who is part of the British culture/establishment so obviously all stops will be pulled out to broadcast this, along with other British cultural programmes!!
    Nice goal-post-shifting there :D
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Ricky Lake is quality broadcasting? Its dog crap and it always has been. Most of the "stories" on there are made up with actors.
    To be fair this is a new show which is, apparently, a lot different and more serious than the other one.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More brit bashing by this wannabe yank :rolleyes:
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Really not Suprised used to love it back on itv, I think it's a bit dull now.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch the RL show on occasions when it was on previously. I watched the first episode of this one, switched off and never tuned in again. It was uninspiring, uninteresting subjects and show themes, a show which could not fit into one category. Ricki needs to decide whether she wants to do a chat show or a documentary series and, consequently, tailor her presenting style in the direction of whichever she chooses.
    Hopefully, Fox will cancel it in the UK also. Trisha Goddard has, in my opinion, had a more successful re-emergence into the UK chat show market, simply because she is actively presenting a chat show which comprises an element of scandal with her caring presenting style, although it is still obvious that her aim is to provide shocking viewing which the audience want to see.
    A documentary-type format attracts a different viewer base; those who want to learn, to absorb serious factual information. If RL wants to do this, her target audience will not be the same one as she is attempting to attract with her chat show.
    I don't watch Jeremy Kyle but, by virtue of forums like this, I know he has interviewed celebrities re their real life experiences. I have found him to be rather fawning, as if he feels he has to give a 'fellow celebrity' an easy ride.
    Know your market, and stick to it. Be confident in realising your strengths and weaknesses and your show will be a success. JK is not a documentary/factual interviewer; Trisha Goddard is also more proficient when fronting chat shows; Ricki Lake could, I feel, be as capable of presenting a factual type show, but it needs to be advertised as such.