replacement remote for toshiba tv not performing!

The replacement remote for a Toshiba tv, model number 29N23B, is not working correctly, or i cant understand its buttons etc.
The only channel that appears when i switch on the tv is C2 and the remote wont select anything in tv or audio, although it will switch the tv on and off.
The remote is from amazon.co.uk "Cherrypickers" model: InoBrand RM1970.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RM-Accessories-Remote-Control-toshiba/dp/B006JQZ4UK

Is this the same as your original remote ?. I bought a replacement for a Toshiba a few years back and found it didn't work correctly so I tracked down an original instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RM-Accessories-Remote-Control-toshiba/dp/B006JQZ4UK

Is this the same as your original remote ?. I bought a replacement for a Toshiba a few years back and found it didn't work correctly so I tracked down an original instead.

If it's a programmable remote then it could be the wrong code that's been input so only some functions will work.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of stating the obvious.... If it doesn't work then send it back and buy the proper thing.

Next time get the correct thing rather than going a little cheaper and buying a whole lot of trouble in exchange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diplomacy works then lol
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a programmable remote then it could be the wrong code that's been input so only some functions will work.

If this is the remote from amazon.co.uk "Cherrypickers" model: InoBrand RM1970.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Control-TOSHIBA-29N23B/dp/B008X2I8IS
    it states:"Works straight out the box No programming or setup required"

Yes, send it back if it doesn't work

Original remote control here (possibly - read the disclaimer/product description))
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOSHIBA-29N23B-Original-Remote-Control/dp/B009M7VE3Y

but it's a fairly old CRT TV and I'd be surprised if an original was available
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your replies,
    the remote is the claimed one for one from cherrypickers, and all that was required was for two batteries to be inserted.

i've emilaed cherrypickers and they now want confirmation of what i have already told them - doesn't sound too promising.

The tv will be soon replaced, this remote businesss is only a stop gap.

There's a new difficulty in that the "channel buttons" on the front of the tv set will move the channels up or down but still present the same blank screen with the channel number etc. eg. p1, p2, p3 ... so neither the remote nor the actual tv set will respond to any controlling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomm12 wrote: »

There's a new difficulty in that the "channel buttons" on the front of the tv set will move the channels up or down but still present the same blank screen with the channel number etc. eg. p1, p2, p3 ... so neither the remote nor the actual tv set will respond to any controlling.

This is a analogue only TV so nothing will appear on any of the channels selected on it's tuner
    See an ad here (about half way down) http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106231617/toshiba-29n23b-29-colour-crt-tv.html
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomm, what are you connecting this to and how are you expecting it to work?

If this TV has been working since analogue switch off then you must be using it with an STB of some sort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freshen batteries, and then read the TV's instructions booklet through carefully: if the TV is analogue, there can't be that many buttons on the remote that are relevant now. I have all my analogue channels tuned to 69 and skipped so that the set saves to the PVR quickly.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diplomacy works then lol

Yes, it does. And do you know what; so does the truth.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That looks like a copy remote, not an original.

There are a lot of compainies selling stuff like this.

Basically they are a universal remote that they pre program for your tv before they send it (i.e the remote looks identical regardless of what tv you order it for.

I have had very variable results with these. Some work perfectly, and some are downright useless giving the wrong action frequently.

Best off getting the proper original thing.

Or get a very cheap standard sky remote. they can be programmed to operate most tv's and usually do so reliably.
    Forum Member
    The tv is connected thro a small black box ( from ASDA ), presumably the STB .
    The batteries are new.
    There are no instructions for the TV ( it was a gift 2yrs ago).
    A friend set the tv up 2yrs ago, i'm an electronic illiterate.
    I have put it on channel 69 and have a clear blue screen only, using number 1 on the remote the screen shows P1 mono.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

Best off getting the proper original thing.

Or get a very cheap standard sky remote. they can be programmed to operate most tv's and usually do so reliably.

Agreed, but the TV is around 9 years old and it's doubtful whether an original remote is available.
    The same firm that the compatible was purchased from also sell an 'original' -see post 6 - but the description states:
    "This is an original remote control for TOSHIBA 29N23B. PLEASE NOTE: In certain cases, you may receive a direct alternative supplied by the manufacturer."

A Sky remote should certainly do on-off/channel change/volume but maybe not much else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tv is connected thro a small black box ( from ASDA ), presumably the STB .
    The batteries are new.
    There are no instructions for the TV ( it was a gift 2yrs ago).
    A friend set the tv up 2yrs ago, i'm an electronic illiterate.
    I have put it on channel 69 and have a clear blue screen only, using number 1 on the remote the screen shows P1 mono.

How is the Asda box connected to the TV?
    If it's connected by SCART then by pressing in "Input" button at the top of the remote should bring you the correct external input i.e. the Asda box - you may have to press more than once.
    If the Asda box is connected by RF output into the TV then you will need to tune any channel on the TV to the output channel of the box.
    Exactly how this will be acheived without the original remote I'm not sure - try selecting "Menu" and there should be tuning options available.
    SCART is the easiest way with no tuning needed and a better picture

EDIT: An online manual can be read here
    http://www.manuals365.com/swf/toshiba/28n23b.html

It says that a download is available but it doesn't work (for me anyway)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online manuals are such a good find.

OP, please do read the manual to figure out what button do what on your replacement remote. If it has button with a square broken by a right facing arrow, that's the one I have to view my PVR's output on my Toshiba 2512DB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS
    Once a digital reception system is in place, it does not matter whether the display screen is a cathode ray tube or a flat-panel plasma monitor. Bits are bits.
    Source: http://www.media-visions.com/itv-teletext.html

So I have found my Toshiba CRT (it;s older than your handmedown!) does work really well as a monitor+ speakers working with a Freeview+ PVR and will keep my that same CRT going as long as possible.:)
    Forum Member
    Cherrypickel have asked me to return the remote for the correct replacement remote.
    They dont say how it can be returned and my search of my amazon account says that there is no authorty for returning the item - i'm also supposed to print a label when, and if, i get authorisation. I have no means of printing anything.
    Any advise?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Amazon site states:
    "Please refer to the Amazon.co.uk Return Policy. Please contact cherrypickelectronics to request a refund or obtain information about any additional policies that may apply:"

The Amazon Returns Policy is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=502480

Meantime this still doesn't answer the questions/advice in posts 15 & 16
    You can still operate the TV without the remote
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your reply.
    State of play is that i returned the remote to cherrypicle, and emailed them a few times. Now they say that they haven't received the posted item. but they will go and check the mail at the post office.

AAMOI how can i operate the tv without a remote? i would like to watch the match tomorrow for sure.
    Forum Member
    While i'm here i may as well ask a slightly off-page question.

What large screen tv would you recommend for essentially connecting to the internet/computer and using as a large monitor - (my eyesight is rubbish)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your reply.
    State of play is that i returned the remote to cherrypicle, and emailed them a few times. Now they say that they haven't received the posted item. but they will go and check the mail at the post office.

AAMOI how can i operate the tv without a remote? i would like to watch the match tomorrow for sure.

Is there a button on the front of the TV itself to get to the AV Channel?
    Forum Member
    There are only two program buttons that dont seem to "work", and two volume buttons that do work sometimes. Plus an annonymous button that doesn't do anything as far as i can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are only two program buttons that dont seem to "work", and two volume buttons that do work sometimes. Plus an annonymous button that doesn't do anything as far as i can tell.

Have you read the online manual I linked to in post 15?

http://postimage.org/image/8tbu73prl/

Did you return the remote by Recorded Delivery or any other 'signed for' method?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please, please look at the manual!

It could be your Toshiba behaves like my brother's Sony TV, in which case, keep the STB on Standby and Press the anonymous button so as to clear the analogue tuner memory. Use a Fully Populated Scart cable (that is, one that will make the TV auto-switch to the STB) and the Set Top Box output should then display on the screen when you take the STB out of Standby.

Remember to remove the antenna cable between the STB and the TV is you have not already done so.