IE9 problems on my Desktop PC and slow shuting down.

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
I use IE9 and 2 or 3 times a month IE seems to crash and I sometimes have to log off or restart my desktop PC to get IE to work again.
Also once the desktop PC had fully restarted and you go into IE it can take just over 30 seconds for IE to fully load up the fist time.
I have got all the latest windows updates and do a disk clean up at lest once a day. Also got McAfee set to do a quick clean at lest 3 nights a week.
Anyone got any ideas.
Also in the last few weeks I have noticed that my desktop PC somestimes takes just over a min to fully shutdown and other times it takes just over 10 seconds to fully shutdown.
My Desktop PC is just over 2 years old and running windows 7 SP1.

Darren

Comments

• barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would look at mcafee settings & also upgrade to current version of IE ... IE10 ... IE11 for windows7 is on the way!

do you have any IE toolbar addons?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    I would look at mcafee settings & also upgrade to current version of IE ... IE10 ... IE11 for windows7 is on the way!

do you have any IE toolbar addons?

I do have the Yahoo toolbar and the Bing toolbar.
    The Bing toolbar came with IE8 when I got my HP desktop PC just over 2 years ago and I just never got rid of it when I upgraded to IE9.
    Dose IE10 now fully work with most websites. For there was mixed reviews when IE9 first came out.

Darren
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Darren,

It's time for some detective work! Have a look in Reliability Monitor and see what error conditions are being reported when IE9 crashes. Method - Start, type rel in the search box, the top option in the results should be View reliability history, press Enter or click the option. The reliabilty monitor window will open, and the graph displayed has events (listed by the day they occured) in the bottom half of the graph. Click on the event and the bottom half of the screen will say what happened in plain english.

To see what's happening when you shut down you need to look at the event logs. Method - Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools, click on Advanced Tools in the sidebar and a window will open listing the tools you can use to get additional performance information. Click on the second option down, View performance details in Event log. A little window will open briefly to say it is loading a Snap-in and then the Event Viewer will open. You can close the Advanced Tools window now.

The left hand panel of Event Viewer displays all the events that Windows is keeping logs for. Scroll down to Diagnostics Performance, click on the little triangle to open the tab and click on Operational. This log keeps track of Boot and Shutdown Performance Monitoring and shows the amount of time your computer is taking to load the OS when you switch the computer on and how long it takes to close down when you click Shut down.

It also displays any information, verbose information and one or more of 3 error conditions increasing in severity from Warning to Error to Critical. Don't worry overmuch about this as the Warning and Error conditions aren't anything serious. You only need to start worrying if you are getting Critical, and even then the odd Critical is probably (but not necessarily) OK. Multiple Criticals is a real worry.

You probably haven't looked at this log so there will be loads of entries going back in time. The log starts at the top with the last time you booted and below that the last time you shutdown, and so on.

You aren't interested in Information or Verbose and to remove these 2 from the results right clck on Operational and then click Filter current log. In the Window that opens you will see Event Level: and to the right the levels. Click Error, Warning and Critical boxes then OK. The log will now only show these 3 events.

Have a look at the Shutdown events by clicking on any shutdown log entry. You can see in the Date and Time column that sometimes there are multiple events covering the one shutdown (or boot) and the time that each event is affecting the time for the shutdown (or boot) operation to conclude. You might be able to ascertain what is slowing down the shutdown and whether there is a pattern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Darren,

It's time for some detective work! Have a look in Reliability Monitor and see what error conditions are being reported when IE9 crashes. Method - Start, type rel in the search box, the top option in the results should be View reliability history, press Enter or click the option. The reliabilty monitor window will open, and the graph displayed has events (listed by the day they occured) in the bottom half of the graph. Click on the event and the bottom half of the screen will say what happened in plain english.

To see what's happening when you shut down you need to look at the event logs. Method - Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools, click on Advanced Tools in the sidebar and a window will open listing the tools you can use to get additional performance information. Click on the second option down, View performance details in Event log. A little window will open briefly to say it is loading a Snap-in and then the Event Viewer will open. You can close the Advanced Tools window now.

The left hand panel of Event Viewer displays all the events that Windows is keeping logs for. Scroll down to Diagnostics Performance, click on the little triangle to open the tab and click on Operational. This log keeps track of Boot and Shutdown Performance Monitoring and shows the amount of time your computer is taking to load the OS when you switch the computer on and how long it takes to close down when you click Shut down.

It also displays any information, verbose information and one or more of 3 error conditions increasing in severity from Warning to Error to Critical. Don't worry overmuch about this as the Warning and Error conditions aren't anything serious. You only need to start worrying if you are getting Critical, and even then the odd Critical is probably (but not necessarily) OK. Multiple Criticals is a real worry.

You probably haven't looked at this log so there will be loads of entries going back in time. The log starts at the top with the last time you booted and below that the last time you shutdown, and so on.

You aren't interested in Information or Verbose and to remove these 2 from the results right clck on Operational and then click Filter current log. In the Window that opens you will see Event Level: and to the right the levels. Click Error, Warning and Critical boxes then OK. The log will now only show these 3 events.

Have a look at the Shutdown events by clicking on any shutdown log entry. You can see in the Date and Time column that sometimes there are multiple events covering the one shutdown (or boot) and the time that each event is affecting the time for the shutdown (or boot) operation to conclude. You might be able to ascertain what is slowing down the shutdown and whether there is a pattern.

Thanks for the Info. I will look at this over the weekend.
    I may also in time think about getting IE10.

Darren
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I may also in time think about getting IE10.

Darren

Just to mention about IE10:

I upgraded from IE9 to 10, but found that Ccleaner didn't clean the browsing history (despite an update from Piriform that had better compatibility for IE10).

Apparently, IE10 stores the history differently than previous incarnations.

I've now reverted back to IE9, and all is well. Anyone else had any problems?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any real differences between IE9 and IE10.
    Just wondering if its worth upgrading to IE10.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Are there any real differences between IE9 and IE10.
    Just wondering if its worth upgrading to IE10.

Darren
    unless you have software that requires an old version of IE it's best to have latest one for it's security/stability improvements ... and ie11 for win7 should be available in full release before xmas (if tech websites are right)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finlux wrote: »
    Just to mention about IE10:

I upgraded from IE9 to 10, but found that Ccleaner didn't clean the browsing history (despite an update from Piriform that had better compatibility for IE10).

Apparently, IE10 stores the history differently than previous incarnations.

I've now reverted back to IE9, and all is well. Anyone else had any problems?
    ccleaner has supported ie11 since end of July (4.04) .. ie10 should be no problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless you have software that requires an old version of IE it's best to have latest one for it's security/stability improvements ... and ie11 for win7 should be available in full release before xmas (if tech websites are right)

I upgraded to IE10 a short time ago and so far all seems ok.
    Not much changes from IE9 apart from web pages seem to load faster but IE9 was the same when I first got it.

Darren
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccleaner has supported ie11 since end of July (4.04) .. ie10 should be no problem

That's right. I've only recently (last couple of weeks) gone back to IE9. After running Ccleaner, I remembered something I needed to look at online, and on using Google I noticed that previous searches were highlighted in purple & not the usual blue.

Long story short: I tested things out for a few days & noticed that Ccleaner wasn't working correctly with IE10. Googling the problem threw up others also with the same problem, but no distinctive answer....

Re-installing IE9 solved the problem.