Faulty PS4 fix

OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
Forum Member
The HDMI problems seem to be stemming from a piece of metal in the HDMI port which isn't sitting flush

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/ps4-hdmi-issue-traced-back-to-upright-metal-in-port

Best check your one before you set it all up

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems straightforward enough though would hope to get a non last shift on friday model in the first place
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they had kept the analogue output on PS4 alongside the HDMI, it survived 3 generations untouched, shame it couldn't last another, and I'm sure component or VGA would have been a good compromise for PS4s with this HDMI glitch where as now if the HDMI doesn't work your shafted and have to wait weeks for a replacement (if they have the stock to replace it with).

Sure analogue video is pretty old hat but at least it provided a fall back if your HDMI failed for whatever reason.

Still at least Sony saved a whopping 50p (guesstimate) by not including it. :rolleyes:
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Wish they had kept the analogue output on PS4 alongside the HDMI, it survived 3 generations untouched, shame it couldn't last another, and I'm sure component or VGA would have been a good compromise for PS4s with this HDMI glitch where as now if the HDMI doesn't work your shafted and have to wait weeks for a replacement (if they have the stock to replace it with).

Sure analogue video is pretty old hat but at least it provided a fall back if your HDMI failed for whatever reason.

Still at least Sony saved a whopping 50p (guesstimate) by not including it. :rolleyes:

The analogue audio outputs allowed the PS3 to be connected to some hifi's too ridiculous they got rid of it.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »

Times that 50p over the lifetime sales of the console, say 60 million units, then yes it saved them loads of money. You can't just look at it being 50p.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The official PlayStation forums is now on page 50 with posters with broken ps4's surely it is now time Sony made some kind of statement. The fail rate seems very high.
  • ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I think the current rumours are sabotage by interns in a chin ease factory. Sounds interesting and if true, could explain the high rates of peeps complaining about broken consoles. Unfortunately, it could also mean a delayed launch in the uk.

Time will tell, I just hope it doesn't cost sony dearly. And I think it's also unfair regarding the delay time in repairs of 2-3 weeks without any sort of apology. Should be at the very least a free launch game, year of ps+ or controller on its return. I could understand if it was a swap in store situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case....

Interesting few days on the ps4 front me thinks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archiex wrote: »
    I think the current rumours are sabotage by interns in a chin ease factory. Sounds interesting and if true, could explain the high rates of peeps complaining about broken consoles. Unfortunately, it could also mean a delayed launch in the uk.

Time will tell, I just hope it doesn't cost sony dearly. And I think it's also unfair regarding the delay time in repairs of 2-3 weeks without any sort of apology. Should be at the very least a free launch game, year of ps+ or controller on its return. I could understand if it was a swap in store situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case....

Interesting few days on the ps4 front me thinks

Just read the rumour of sabotage on IGN forums. It would explain how there is more than just 1 or 2 faults with the systems as well. Not sure if it is at all true though.
  • ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Just read the rumour of sabotage on IGN forums. It would explain how there is more than just 1 or 2 faults with the systems as well. Not sure if it is at all true though.

I got it from the us playstation community forums, which linked to there. Something tells me it's not true, however with all the issues etc it could easily be!
  • SteptoeSteptoe Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    This doesn't bode well for the uk launch.
    Typical, I've always had an Xbox and now I jump ship it looks like there's a few duffers out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fail rate is more than Sony says. You only have to visit their forums to see this. Worrying times for the Euro launch in 2 weeks.

Loads of issues

1. HDMI problems
    2. Overheating after 5 minutes (Red line of death)
    3. Disc read errors
    4. White line of death (whether or not this is HDMI related I am not sure)
    5. Some not even starting out of the box.
  • SteptoeSteptoe Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Have they got a quality dept in those factories?!
    This is bad craic!
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reason I have decided to take an extra warranty out on mine, Game guarantee to replace the console with a new one if it breaks down in the first 2 years without a lengthy return to manufacturer, keeping ,my fingers crossed though:o although the failure rate is within the limits for a release of this size, its still a lottery on whether you will get a faulty one.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the majority of PS4s are working fine it's just those owners won't have thought to write a review yet. If I'd have got my PS4 yesterday I certainly wouldn't be writing a review yet if everything was working fine, I'd be too busy!!

When I got my Wii U last year the optical disc drive was completely dead. The whole console had to be replaced, however I have never given the Wii U a bad review because of this as I have been very pleased with the replacement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    The fail rate is more than Sony says. You only have to visit their forums to see this. Worrying times for the Euro launch in 2 weeks.

Loads of issues

1. HDMI problems
    2. Overheating after 5 minutes (Red line of death)
    3. Disc read errors
    4. White line of death (whether or not this is HDMI related I am not sure)
    5. Some not even starting out of the box.
    Flashing light is HDMI I believe.

And again, why does this need repeating so much. Hundreds of thousands of these have been sold. Hundreds of thousands are online, right now.

What you are seeing is a very small percentage with issues.

Issues that can happen right now with any console you buy new or old.

The only reason it looks bad is because they sold so many of them, so naturally whilst the percentage is low - you're going to have lots of people with dead units.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the other, but the average consumer electronic failure rate on arrival is 2-3%, Sony's conservative estimates are 3 million sold in 2013 (Wii U did that much), that means 90,000 units will have something wrong with them based on industry average figures.

I said to another poster look at hard drive reviews and forum posts, they're often full of people going oh it turned up and was broken - and that will be for any brand. Because a small percentage will likely turn up dud.

The only reason people panic is because they have this notion of the red ring of death or the yellow light of death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a bit of a pi$$er if you get a duffer id imagine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll end up being mine now I've gone on the don't panic it's standard for some to be busted!

At least I have two coming!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. Best of luck chopoff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the majority of PS4s are working fine it's just those owners won't have thought to write a review yet. If I'd have got my PS4 yesterday I certainly wouldn't be writing a review yet if everything was working fine, I'd be too busy!!

When I got my Wii U last year the optical disc drive was completely dead. The whole console had to be replaced, however I have never given the Wii U a bad review because of this as I have been very pleased with the replacement.

Same here my WiiU wouldn't connect to the gamepad, i had a go at game, but i never gave the WiiU a bad review or told people not to get one
    chopoff wrote: »
    It'll end up being mine now I've gone on the don't panic it's standard for some to be busted!

At least I have two coming!

I'm taking the same line, i'm not going to spend the next two weeks getting worrying this or that 'could' go wrong

The fact is this is the internet, most people won't bother to give positive feedback, they just complain when something goes wrong

People will make a big deal about how their console doesn't work online, when in reality if they just went back to the shop and exchanged it they would be gaming a lot quicker
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    This really isn't an issue. No where near the RROD saga.

And if HDMIs are unreliable, just remember that the Xbone will have two of them..
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    This really isn't an issue. No where near the RROD saga.

And if HDMIs are unreliable, just remember that the Xbone will have two of them..

I don't think anyone will give a damn how many HDMI ports the Xbox One has if they receive a faulty console, so i have no idea why you brought this up.

This looks to be nothing to worry about to me, the HDMI faults seem to be very few, we'll see in the future if more consoles become faulty after plenty of use, but at the moment the chances of getting a console DOA is very very slim.

I'm not picking my ps4 up until Summer next year so we should have a rough figure by then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they have got around all the heat dissipation and lead free solder issues so we don't have to talk about reflows. That's the main thing I think we want.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atleast shopto will collect my PS4 (via courier) & send a replacement ASAP if I receive a duffa!!! :o

(Gotta admit tho this talk of knackered consoles has killed my excitement!!! :()
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izak wrote: »

Yeah, I had a problem with my Vita, I charged it, then when I tried to go through the setup , I found that the touchscreen had huge dead areas. I exchanged it with Amazon and had a new one before I'd even sent mine back. I love the system and would give it a great review. I never thought to go on Amazon and give a poor review because mine was a dud. I understand the dissapointment with PS4 especially with the longer wait for a replacement due to low stock, but I don't get why people are giving it bad reviews because of it. They haven't played the thing to give any review.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    EA had blamed the 1.5 update for a lot of the issues, however they have now retracted the statement http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/15/ea-lays-blame-for-ps4-game-instability-on-sony-s-1-5-firmware-update.aspx
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    EA had blamed the 1.5 update for a lot of the issues, however they have now retracted the statement http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/15/ea-lays-blame-for-ps4-game-instability-on-sony-s-1-5-firmware-update.aspx

I wonder if some phonecalls have been made. It seemed a bit odd for EA to come out and say anyway, but they wouldn't have made the statement without knowing the firmware was the issue would they? It's certainly one of the first things to investigate.