How do I stop Bing asking me if I want to set it as homepage?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there
Wonder if any of you computer-savvy folk on here can help me with this... Recently had a bit of a protest and got rid of google, and want to have Bing as my homepage. This I can handle ... I have set it as my homepage and it opens with it, no problem.

BUT every time, it also opens with a banner at the top asking me if I want to set Bing as my Home Page "Sure" (in truth, thats the bit thats the most annoying!!) or "No Thanks".

I know its irrational annoyance at such a small thing but its genuinely getting to the point where I want to punch it :mad::o

Thanks

Alternatively, maybe you could just suggest me a more calming home page to set! :D

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I don't use Bing as it annoyed me. Chrome works well.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just set your home page as a blank
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just set your home page as a blank
    Agreed. You can set up whichever search engine(s) you wish as bookmarks/favourites.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259
    When I said blank I meant blank, not Google, or Yahoo etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks guys, search engine is usually my first stop so it made sense to have it as home page but if its going to do this every time then I'll go back to blank!! Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259
    When I said blank I meant blank, not Google, or Yahoo etc
    Yes, sure, understood (I hope!):
    about:blank

I was suggesting that it would then make sense to include search engine(s) in the user's list of bookmarks/favourites.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    With Bing as your homepage and if you are using IE as your browser, then go into Internet Options and click the Security tab. Click on the Internet zone icon and then click Custom level. Scroll down to Scripting and set Active scripting to Disable. Click OK and then when the Warning window comes up, click Yes. Then click OK on the Security window. This will stop the banner, but you won't be able to load sites that require active scripting. I use the Internet zone with active scripting disabled anyway and only enable it when I need it, but you might be better keeping active scripting and using another uk search providers homepage. Yahoo UK is the third rated search engine and no banner with active scripting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those instructions evil c. i have done the steps & see how I go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning Windows Update offered me the Bing Toolbar as an optional update but it was ticked by default. I use the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" setting so I avoided it, but perhaps people who have left their computer on the "Install updates automatically" setting would have that toolbar installed?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    This morning Windows Update offered me the Bing Toolbar as an optional update but it was ticked by default. I use the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" setting so I avoided it, but perhaps people who have left their computer on the "Install updates automatically" setting would have that toolbar installed?

Thanks for the warning. I have automatic updates and this morning it installed seven. Having read what you said, I just checked on what was installed, and it tells me there are 3 Optional updates (not installed), one of which is Bing Desktop V1.1 (whatever that is).

None of the optional updates are ticked (probably because they are optional ;) - perhaps Windows Update works differently when you set it to ask).

(Incidentally, did you know that following the recursive naming convention, Bing is an acronym for Bing Is Not Google :D)
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member

If you right click on the update offer you can set it to hide then won't be offered it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you right click on the update offer you can set it to hide
    True, good advice.
    then won't be offered it again.
    Windows Update has offered it to me in the past, I've hidden it, and WU offered it again today. Perhaps WU offers it again whenever a new version is released?

BTW there's a description of it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bing_Toolbar
    I'm glad to read that it only infects IE, so it wouldn't be of much concern to me anyway.

When it comes to Crosby's, I'm more of the David generation than the Bing generation. :)
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes to Crosby's, I'm more of the David generation than the Bing generation. :)

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?
    Bing sings and Walt disnae.