The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average UK viewer only watches three 30 minute programmes on demand a month. Less linear TV watched in 2012 than 2011:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a459888/on-demand-viewing-still-in-shadow-of-linear-tv-report.html

They just stole that from the Times Business article I mentioned earlier.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    They're not docs, they're ITV's version of Coast, just to pad out the schedule whilst the old ladies count down the minutes till Corrie's back on. ;)

Stay classy there, you need to remember that its the little old ladies of Britain who are bigging up the BBC1 daytime share. You cant go dissing them at night, when you no longer want them.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    They just stole that from the Times Business article I mentioned earlier.

Sorry, didn't see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    I think Dancc was referring to the 9pm factual output - and he has a point:

Holloway
    Wormwood Scrubs
    Strangeways
    Pensioners Behind Bars
    Trevor McDonald's Death Row
    HMP: Aylesbury

Their other obsession is celebrity travelogues, which includes the "Cornwall" in your list. Others have included

Billy Connolly's Route 66
    Joanna Lumley's Nile
    Griff Rhys Jones's Cities (and Rivers)
    Trevor McDonald's Mississippee
    Caroline Quentin in India
    David Suchet on the Orient Express

It's fair to say they could do with a bit more variety in their factual offerings.

Why? Because they know what works? You forgot the various animal themed doc's too. Plus things like the 7Up series. And Long Lost Family. Could continue if you wish.

They devote an hour to organ transplants at 8pm on Wednesday night and it rated at 2m.

The usual ITV bashing is attack its low ratings when it steps outside its usual fare and attack its content as bland when it rates well.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Why? Because they know what works? You forgot the various animal themed doc's too. Plus things like the 7Up series. And Long Lost Family. Could continue if you wish.

They devote an hour to organ transplants at 8pm on Wednesday night and it rated at 2m.

The usual ITV bashing is attack its low ratings when it steps outside its usual fare and attack its content as bland when it rates well.

OK George, you're right: ITV's factual output is wonderful. So it's a bit strange that they've just fired the Head of Factual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK George, you're right: ITV's factual output is wonderful. So it's a bit strange that they've just fired the Head of Factual.

Didnt say it was wonderful. This thread descends pretty quickly. Just saying its not ALL prisons. Of course it would be all prison doc's if you exclude the ones that aren't about prisons. So maybe we can all agree. Or disagree. Or whatever. Enjoy your day. Its only tv. ;)
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV for Monday 11th to Sunday 17th February: http://oi49.tinypic.com/35jggw6.jpg

Top programmes for the week among 18-49 year olds from that list (excludes soaps and news) were:

1. Let's Dance: 8.8
    2. Take Me Out: 7.7
    3. Dancing on Ice: 7.3
    4. Call The Midwife: 7.2
    5. Penguin: Spy In The Huddle: 6.5
    6. Crimewatch: 6.1
    7. UCL: Celtic v Juventus: 6.1
    8. Death in Paradise: 5.9
    9. All Star Family Fortunes: 5.9
    10. Mr Selfridge: 5.7

Note: Each number indicates the % of the UK 18-49 population. For e.g. 8.8% of 18-49 year olds living in the UK watched Let's Dance
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George, a "Speidi" is what you get when you combine the names of CBB's American couple Spencer and Heidi. I know :cry:

With ITV having a choice of...1 replay, they have gone with Everton vs Oldham next Tuesday (was a very good game last weekend). The FA say it's on ITV1, so the re-branding's going well...

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/News/2013/Feb/everton-oldham-replay-itv-190213.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE The One Show looks lower than usual,
    Obviously hit by the lack of regional news programmes. Were they all cancelled? QUOTE

We (London) had daytime fodder Fake Britain on at 6.30pm on BBC1 yesterday, so that probably didn't help.

The Agenda's rating looks pitiful - they had George Osborne on last night, no Newsnight to go against it because of the strike, and the ITV News's main headline at 10pm was not the death of Richard Briers, but what Osborne said on the show about mansion tax (including a clip of what you could see in 30 minutes time). They couldn't have plugged the show more if they tried.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC confirms launch of BBC2 HD on March 26.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    the ITV News's main headline at 10pm was not the death of Richard Briers, but what Osborne said on the show about mansion tax (including a clip of what you could see in 30 minutes time). They couldn't have plugged the show more if they tried.

The main headline on the BBC news channel at 9pm was Cameron's trip to India, the death of Richard Briers was about 9.10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The main headline on the BBC news channel at 9pm was Cameron's trip to India, the death of Richard Briers was about 9.10pm.

Are there figures for the 10 pm shows ? BBC usually beats ITV soundly at ten.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    Digital channel Gold has commissioned its first original sitcom, which will be based on an age-gap relationship.

Us And Them follows the success of revivals of The Comic Strip Presents and Yes, Prime Minister, and the recently announced panel game Jo Brand's Great Wall of Comedy.

The set-up involves divorcé Ed, who lives opposite his ex-wife, and his love for Lauren, who is 20 years his junior – an age difference that provokes strong opinions from their friends and family.

No cast has yet been announced, but number of star actors are said to be in line for the lead roles.

Unusually, each of the six episodes – described by commissioning editor Sarah Fraser as ‘twisted family tales’ – will be 40 minutes long rather than the traditional 30.

The series is being made by Hat Trick Productions, whose credits included Outnumbered, Father Ted and Have I Got News For You.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/02/19/17231/gold_orders_its_first_original_sitcom
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Sounds interesting, I guess it'll be a multicamera comedy to fit in with the rest if the GOLD lineup. The 40 minute thing isn't unusual, Red Dwarf on Dave was 40 minute episodes as well, not sure on Yes Prime Minister.
    Forum Member
    Some new programme trailers from Channel 5:

CSI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0-Xc3UV3g
    Beat the Ancestors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJVRSFvPf4
    Home & Away 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us3zmnjVFWk

Interesting how they are ramping up the promo for H&A just lately. That's not a bad trailer. I just wish the show would return to the more dramatic storylines of old. Numbers haven't been great lately and the show current lacks the support of a sponsor.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, I guess it'll be a multicamera comedy to fit in with the rest if the GOLD lineup. The 40 minute thing isn't unusual, Red Dwarf on Dave was 40 minute episodes as well, not sure on Yes Prime Minister.

They'll no doubt be 'BBC' 29 minute length, with allowance for two five minute ad breaks.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »

YPM is 40 minutes too.

It's because most (possibly all) of Gold's archive comedies are from the BBC. 30 minutes comedies extended to a 40 minute slot with adverts and trailers. And three 40 minute comedies neatly fits into 2 hour of TV.

Willing to bet the new sitcom makes no impact on viewers whatsoever.

Meanwhile, on This Morning this morning, Pauline Quirke reveals that a TV script for a revival of Birds Of A Feather is sitting somewhere at the BBC awaiting a decision. Might go the way of YPM, made by BBC comedy, but shown by Gold.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Willing to bet the new sitcom makes no impact on viewers whatsoever.
    Hmm, let's give it a chance first shall we. Don't even know who is going to be in it yet.

They might have got YPM wrong but Red Dwarf has been hugely successful for Dave. UKTV commissioners deserve more credit than they get, they are very canny people.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Note that Eileen started early due to the shorter news. So that quoted figure will include the first part of the Blandings repeat.

No, the stated figure from KMair is tape-checked and will take into account the early start. :)
    A lot lower than usual... The 30 minute shows are typically averaging a 21% audience share so something airing last night picked up some viewers. Was there any football on at that time?

As already stated, the lack of a 6-7m lead-in from the regional news will have been a factor.

I don't have access to figures on my phone but will answer any queries not already addressed tonight.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Meanwhile, on This Morning this morning, Pauline Quirke reveals that a TV script for a revival of Birds Of A Feather is sitting somewhere at the BBC awaiting a decision. Might go the way of YPM, made by BBC comedy, but shown by Gold.

I hope they don't make the mistake that Yes Prime Minister did by actually doing a pilot to test the material first, I know Birds of a Feather has a stage version like YPM but some things may not translate,
    Dancc wrote: »
    Hmm, let's give it a chance first shall we. Don't even know who is going to be in it yet.

They might have got YPM wrong but Red Dwarf has been hugely successful for Dave. UKTV commissioners deserve more credit than they get, they are very canny people.

UKTV have done well to expand their portfolio, I think the likes of Eden, Really, Yesterday and Good Food have more commisions now than before, Alibi has ramped up their lineup with US imports like Rizolli and Isles, Castle etc but I think they should start investing in homegrown drama, maybe starting by either acquiring Irish dramas or co-productions like what Watch did with Primeval.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I don't have access to figures on my phone but will answer any queries not already addressed tonight.

Can I request ITV4's highlights of the Man Utd v Reading FA Cup game - 10.30pm to 11.10pm. Also maybe the ESPN live coverage if you can.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Dancc was referring to the 9pm factual output - and he has a point:

Holloway
    Wormwood Scrubs
    Strangeways
    Pensioners Behind Bars
    Trevor McDonald's Death Row
    HMP: Aylesbury

Their other obsession is celebrity travelogues, which includes the "Cornwall" in your list. Others have included

Billy Connolly's Route 66
    Joanna Lumley's Nile
    Griff Rhys Jones's Cities (and Rivers)
    Trevor McDonald's Mississippee
    Caroline Quentin in India
    David Suchet on the Orient Express

It's fair to say they could do with a bit more variety in their factual offerings.

World in Action, This Week, First Tuesday, Weekend World, Survival, South Bank Show....

Oh, hang on. All gone in favour of prisons, cute doggies and frothy travelogues.
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC confirms launch of BBC2 HD on March 26.

Good to see the big four now having their HD versions.

But not at the expense of losing the dedicated HD channel for catch up and BBC3/4 programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More about BBC2 HD at

www.bbc.co.uk/ariel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup quarter final dates announced...

Saturday 9 March 2013
    Oldham Athletic or Everton v Wigan Athletic (12.45pm) – Live on ITV.
    Manchester City v Barnsley (5.30pm) – Live on ESPN.

Sunday 10 March 2013
    Millwall v Blackburn Rovers (2pm) – Live on ESPN.
    Manchester United v Middlesbrough or Chelsea (4.30pm) – Live on ITV.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/News/2013/Feb/sixth-round-tv-dates-190213.aspx
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how Skyfall is doing?

Highest profile launch for a PPV movie, I've ever known.

I can get it through Sky and also Acetrax on my Smart TV.
This discussion has been closed.