Problems connecting Humax HDR to network

Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
Forum Member
I bought a Vonets wireless bridge to connect my Humax Foxsat HDR to my network for iPlayer ITV player.

I configured the device on my computer with the setup disc, all went well.

When I plug it in the Humax and go to network it doesn't show up, no ip address etc.

I've tried everything just won't work. I tried it on a ip camea I had and it worked with that no problem..

Any help I would be grateful.

Comments

• KDHKDH Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a HomePlug system and a switch to distribute network connection to TV,PS3 and Humax HDR all without problems
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    KDH wrote: »
    I use a HomePlug system and a switch to distribute network connection to TV,PS3 and Humax HDR all without problems

I think that's what I will have to opt for if I can't get this thing working.

As I said I managed to get it to work on a IP camera and since got it to work on my brothers ps3, so why the Humax doesn't like it I don't know.

The only thing I can think of is a weak signal from the dongle as the Humax is quite low down near the floor well away from the router..
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a common problem with the Vonets and Humax HDR
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1GV069YQ3NYHO
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Seems to be a common problem with the Vonets and Humax HDR
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1GV069YQ3NYHO

yes, I spotted that yesterday, shame I didn't notice when I ordered from Amazon :o .

However, one DS poster, lewiscolin, seems to have it working no problem. :confused: sent him a PM just waiting for a reply .
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    I think that's what I will have to opt for if I can't get this thing working.

As I said I managed to get it to work on a IP camera and since got it to work on my brothers ps3, so why the Humax doesn't like it I don't know.

The only thing I can think of is a weak signal from the dongle as the Humax is quite low down near the floor well away from the router..

A short cat5 cable with a socket on one end and a plug on the other should allow you to locate it in a better position.
    Forum Member
    A short cat5 cable with a socket on one end and a plug on the other should allow you to locate it in a better position.

I'll give that a go before I give up on it and get a homeplug..
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    I'll give that a go before I give up on it and get a homeplug..

I see that it pulling power from the USB which may be your problem - i.e. the amount it is drawing. Try plugging the USB into a powered hub as a test - most perople have one somewhere.
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I see that it pulling power from the USB which may be your problem - i.e. the amount it is drawing. Try plugging the USB into a powered hub as a test - most perople have one somewhere.

I'll try that, however the guy on here who seems to have it working uses the rear usb port to power the device.

But it's worth a try. Got all of my set up unplugged at the moment though as I'm sorting a few cables out and having a tidy up as it's like an electricians nightmare behind the TV :eek:...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Hi - I'm fairly comfortable around PCs but need help with this particular problem.

I have a PC in the same room as we have our AV stuff including our TV, Foxsat recorder etc. We get our broadband via router. Our living room is quite an odd shape and there's a small wall in it which creates a kind of library/ computer niche.

I only recently discovered we could get iPlayer on the Humax but have no idea how to set this up. I've never had to do anything with our router other than initially set it up to get the PC connection running. The router is quite far away from the Humax and is situated behind the wall I mentioned so there's no line of sight to the Humax if that matters (does it?)

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get iPlayer?

If you can help me with this and want to reply, could you assume I know very little about Wi-Fi, networking etc?

Thanks!
    :)
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kosmische wrote: »
    Hi - I'm fairly comfortable around PCs but need help with this particular problem.

I have a PC in the same room as we have our AV stuff including our TV, Foxsat recorder etc. We get our broadband via router. Our living room is quite an odd shape and there's a small wall in it which creates a kind of library/ computer niche.

I only recently discovered we could get iPlayer on the Humax but have no idea how to set this up. I've never had to do anything with our router other than initially set it up to get the PC connection running. The router is quite far away from the Humax and is situated behind the wall I mentioned so there's no line of sight to the Humax if that matters (does it?)

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get iPlayer?

If you can help me with this and want to reply, could you assume I know very little about Wi-Fi, networking etc?

Thanks!
    :)

The easiest way is to simply connect it via a (long) cable to a spare output on your router.
    You just plug it in, give it a couple of minutes to sort its network connection out automatically and it will work.
    Select channel 901 BBC iPlayer, if it's connected you will get a "press red to start" prompt, otherwise you will get a "not connected" message.
    The same applies to channel 903 ITV Player.
    If you get the "not connected" message because you've only just switched on the router, all I do is press channel up/channel down between these two until the "press red" appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look on your router you will see some small square sockets. These take a RJ45 plug. on the back of the Foxsat is the same socket.

You need to connect one of the sockets on the router to the socket on the Foxsat.

Easiest and cheapest option is to buy a cat5 patch lead and drill a hole through the wall.

Cat5 patch leads are very cheap on e-bay in varying lengths

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-CAT5e-RJ45-ETHERNET-LAN-NETWORK-PATCH-LEAD-CABLE-/270683855481?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item3f0603da79

A more expensive option is to use a pair of homeplug adaptors these use the mains to connect the two sockets. One plugged in by your router and one by your Foxsat. They connect by a pair of short cat5 patch leads.
    Forum Member
    Thanks to Bspks and grahamlthompson for their help.

Unfortunately, the Humax is quite a few meters from the router and I can't see how we could do a nice enough concealment job with the required cabling to keep my partner happy.

Re the option to use a pair of homeplug adaptors, would this remove the need for cabling between the router and the Humax altogether? Can you tell me a bit more about the "connect[ion] by a pair of short cat5 patch leads." What connects to what? Am I right in thinking the Humax would connect to the homeplug adaptor by means of the short lead described/ What about the router?

Can I finally ask a more mundane question: how do you add a quote from another post? Can't see anything in the user CP about this and can't think where else to look.

Thanks again guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately, the Humax is quite a few meters from the router and I can't see how we could do a nice enough concealment job with the required cabling to keep my partner happy.

Re the option to use a pair of homeplug adaptors, would this remove the need for cabling between the router and the Humax altogether? Can you tell me a bit more about the "connect[ion] by a pair of short cat5 patch leads." What connects to what? Am I right in thinking the Humax would connect to the homeplug adaptor by means of the short lead described/ What about the router?

Can I finally ask a more mundane question: how do you add a quote from another post? Can't see anything in the user CP about this and can't think where else to look.

Thanks again guys.

The leads are just a short version of the long one I posted a link to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Network-Cable-Cat5e-5-PATCH-Straight-10-100-LAN-RJ45-Lead-SHORT-25cm-LONG-50m-/120849117634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item61cd8bd3da

You need two. Each homeplug adaptor has a lan socket on it. You just plug them into a nearby socket connect the one by the hdr using the short lead and the other by the router by the other. The mains wiring is used to connect the two adaptors.

put QUOTE in square brackets at the beginning and /QUOTE in square brackets at the end of the text.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks again guys.

I use one of these with my Foxsat, it converts the wi-fi signal from your router to allow you to connect using a RJ45 lead (supplied).

You can power it from the USB socket on your Foxsat or TV, and hide it out of sight, its a synch to set up.

I've had one running seamlessly on my Foxsat for a good 12 months, the advantage being that you don't need a free 13 amp socket, or yards of cabling.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=netgear+wifi+adapter&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=923&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4837233609716251624&sa=X&ei=F0OyT8byLeip0QXV4PyzCQ&ved=0CL0BEPICMAA

Also by connecting it to an ethernet switch I am able to run both my TV and Bluray player from it as well.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Belated thanks for your helpful reply
    Forum Member
    I've been looking at the various suggestions in this thread but am confused. I think I understand how the HomePlugs work but there seem to be much cheaper options, unless I've misunderstood.

Given as I said before our AV stuff is quite far away from the PC and router, is there in fact a cheaper way to connect the Humax to my network that wouldn't require any (extensive) cabling? I came across a reference to a Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter but amn't tech-savvy enough to know if this is the sort of thing I should be considering. Also, when I looked at Amazon, I saw a review that was very critical of the speed it delivered at the socket next to his AV stuff.

Help!:
    confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking at the various suggestions in this thread but am confused. I think I understand how the HomePlugs work but there seem to be much cheaper options, unless I've misunderstood.

Given as I said before our AV stuff is quite far away from the PC and router, is there in fact a cheaper way to connect the Humax to my network that wouldn't require any (extensive) cabling? I came across a reference to a Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter but amn't tech-savvy enough to know if this is the sort of thing I should be considering. Also, when I looked at Amazon, I saw a review that was very critical of the speed it delivered at the socket next to his AV stuff.

Help!:
    confused:

You won't get a solution much cheaper than these.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=113205
    Forum Member

These look like a good bet for me but I don't understand the huge variation in prices with these devices? What do you get by paying more? I've seen some for over a £100
    :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These look like a good bet for me but I don't understand the huge variation in prices with these devices? What do you get by paying more? I've seen some for over a £100
    :confused:

I use a pair of these with my Foxsat-hdr and they work just fine. A have a 3rd that I use to get a fast lan point anywhere in the house. Dead handy for Skype.