I've just stood on and cracked a Chromebook screen

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My stupid housemate left his Chromebook on the floor near the sofa, and as I stood up, I stood on it and heard a crack. I opened it up and the whole screen is cracked. :mad:

How much does it cost to fix the screen? IIRC laptop screens cost a fortune to fix and sometimes it makes sense to just buy a new laptop. Is there any chance that Chromebooks come with some sort of insurance against this sort of thing? He's not the type to pay any extra for insurance.

This is JUST what I needed.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    My stupid housemate left his Chromebook on the floor near the sofa, and as I stood up, I stood on it and heard a crack. I opened it up and the whole screen is cracked. :mad:

How much does it cost to fix the screen? IIRC laptop screens cost a fortune to fix and sometimes it makes sense to just buy a new laptop. Is there any chance that Chromebooks come with some sort of insurance against this sort of thing? He's not the type to pay any extra for insurance.

This is JUST what I needed.
    Chromebook screen costs about £33 on eBay. I have no idea how easy they are to fit, but I have changed a notebook PC screen without much difficulty.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he left it lying on the floor then it really shouldn't be your fault and you shouldn't have to pay for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Chromebook screen costs about £33 on eBay. I have no idea how easy they are to fit, but I have changed a notebook PC screen without much difficulty.

Ditto. Replaced a netbook screen for around £30. Was a little fiddly but not that tricky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    If he left it lying on the floor then it really shouldn't be your fault and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

True, but I still feel bad about it.
    Stig wrote: »
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

Thanks. That great. Looks like it's not as big of a deal as I first thought.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You did tread on it so its up to you to have it fixed. First things first, is the machine covered with insurance of some kind?

If not and if your not absolutely confident you can carry out the repair you should look at having it repaired by a professional.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You did tread on it so its up to you to have it fixed. First things first, is the machine covered with insurance of some kind?

If not and if your not absolutely confident you can carry out the repair you should look at having it repaired by a professional.

Maybe, but their friend should have told them that his/her Chromebook was on the floor and to be careful when getting up. If, then, they stood on it and cracked the screen, they would have been fully in the wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, he's just got back. It's about to kick off. If he tries anything I'm going to judo chop him in the balls.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you buy a replacement screen be sure to check the make and model of the Chromebook because they're not all the same.

At least you won't have to reinstall any software or data files.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Maybe, but their friend should have told them that his/her Chromebook was on the floor and to be careful when getting up. If, then, they stood on it and cracked the screen, they would have been fully in the wrong.

OP should've been looking where they put their feet. Judge Judy is littered with cases like this... Housemate was a bit daft but the OP would lose if it went to small claims court, lol :D
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, he's just got back. It's about to kick off. If he tries anything I'm going to judo chop him in the balls.

I like your approach here :D
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think a swipe to the back of the neck knocks 'em out cold for a while. At least in movies it does.

Do let us know how you get on.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    OP should've been looking where they put their feet. Judge Judy is littered with cases like this... Housemate was a bit daft but the OP would lose if it went to small claims court, lol :D

I love Judge Judy :D Some of the cases are ridiculous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Judge Judy :D Some of the cases are ridiculous!

A bit like this one :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking more of the Chromebook owner plonking the laptop down without his friend seeing that he put it down. Saying this though, I always look at the floor when I put my feet down and would instantly bring them up again if I saw, even with half a second to spare, a laptop under my feet. The first poster's reactions mustn't be very good at all.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the he anticipated the 'judo chop in the balls', and whacked the OP over the head?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP clearly has no liability in any way whatsoever, not moral nor legal.

The floor is an appropriate place to store a pair of slippers, not a laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you use US junk TV to become an expert in what will happen in a UK court? No need for people to spend years training as a lawyer then.

The OP is certainly morally in the right and I suspect legally as well though I'm no more a lawyer than you are. In any case would the Chromebook owner bother going to the small claims court to recover £33 when the online (cheapest) court fee is £25 and the outcome is at best dubious.

Of course it may be that keeping a harmonious house is more important to the OP than the money however you have to be careful because if you've been walked all over once it may happen again. Possibly offering to go halves whilst accepting no fault would be a good compromise and make house life easier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you use US junk TV to become an expert in what will happen in a UK court? No need for people to spend years training as a lawyer then.

The OP is certainly morally in the right and I suspect legally as well though I'm no more a lawyer than you are. In any case would the Chromebook owner bother going to the small claims court to recover £33 when the online (cheapest) court fee is £25 and the outcome is at best dubious.

Chill out, I wasn't exactly being completely serious. Have you never read a Freeman000 thread before?

You admit you're no legal expert either so the rest of your post is redundant, too.

Bring in JAG or Keefy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chill out, I wasn't exactly being completely serious. Have you never read a Freeman000 thread before?

You admit you're no legal expert either so the rest of your post is redundant, too.

Bring in JAG or Keefy!

No I haven't read one of their threads before or at least don't recall the name. I was responding purely on what they posted as there is nothing else that I can do. Of course if they saw the device on the floor and started jumping up and down on it then that is completely different.

I do know the cheapest fee for the small claims court is £25 so that is relevant as is my opinion on the morality of the situation which an opinion like anyone else's.

About the only suspect bit is "and I suspect legally as well" which I do qualifying by saying I'm not a lawyer meaning I might well be wrong.

All in all my post seems reasonably balanced unlike yours which made wild claims about UK law based upon Judge Judy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wild claims? There was a smiley face at the end of it all, ffs... wake up and smell the coffee, chief!
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    I think a swipe to the back of the neck knocks 'em out cold for a while. At least in movies it does.

Do let us know how you get on.

but don't you need the butt of a colt 45 for that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    but don't you need the butt of a colt 45 for that?

Depends on if you have true ninja, iron fist, skills ;)
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    See, I keep telling my daughter not to leave her tablet on the floor or it will get stood on.......
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    A bit like this one :D

Yeah :D

So does that mean the law degree I'm currently studying for is irrelevant? :(