Options

galaxy s3 mainboard fried

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi guys (and girls)
Last week my phone decided to try and burn the house down while it was on charge i smelt burning and heard arcing coming from the phone so took it off charge and contacted samsung who agreed to have a look at the phone under warranty as its only 5 months old when i got the phone back they told me it had had some water damage which is not true, I know this i had my phone on me at all times and it was not raining and neither did i get wet.
When i told them this they said they had the pictures to prove it and i should contact customer services again, So i have and they are sending it off to another service center.
these are the pictures i have got form samsung stating is water damage.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mark_sellers/media/samsung2_zps3e324b99.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

your honest opinions please and advise on what to do next if the other service center can not be bothered to fix the phone or come out withe the same bull.
thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bme46 wrote: »
    Hi guys (and girls)
    Last week my phone decided to try and burn the house down while it was on charge i smelt burning and heard arcing coming from the phone so took it off charge and contacted samsung who agreed to have a look at the phone under warranty as its only 5 months old when i got the phone back they told me it had had some water damage which is not true, I know this i had my phone on me at all times and it was not raining and neither did i get wet.
    When i told them this they said they had the pictures to prove it and i should contact customer services again, So i have and they are sending it off to another service center.
    these are the pictures i have got form samsung stating is water damage.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mark_sellers/media/samsung2_zps3e324b99.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

your honest opinions please and advise on what to do next if the other service center can not be bothered to fix the phone or come out withe the same bull.
    thanks.

See Trading Standards or the retailer you bought it from.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you ever have the handset in the bathroom whilst showering? Either playing music or in case you get a call or anything like that?
    Because the moisture in the air can condense within the handset, which can in turn cause moisture damage.

Even extreme changes of temperature can cause condensation to occur which would then potentially damage the handset.

They're just possibilities, I'm not saying that either would apply to yourself.

As for the photo, it does look like there's some sort of corrosion on the components (the sort of fuzzy build-up) but it's impossible for anyone to say why without examining the handset.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the micro USB charge socket where liquid could get into the phone.... personally if it were me I'd ask for more photographic evidence including the serial number/IMEI etc...I'm sure they're not bull plopping you but it could be a picture of any S3 that had some water damage afterall.

It would only take a small amount of moisture to cause serious corrosion. A little moisture/droplets of liquid and some voltage tends to cause corrsion remarkably fast, especially around the power port.

Edit: interestingly the corrosion they've highlighted is around the metal / ground of the USB port and the powerlines on the port seem untouched which is what I'd expect to have the corrosion on. There's more dots of crud to the right although curiously they've not highlighted that.... which I'd say was more likely what was damaged. But it's a guess as it's hard going by a picture alone.

I do a few reports on water ingress into radio equipment so know how hard it can be to photograph the damage as it can be tiny and the corrosion can be underneath components.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the liquid got through the front button at the bottom which appears to be directly above the usb port? a small amount of moisture/drops on that button could possibly work it's way to the port I guess.... hard to say for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies i took my phone into a walk in repair shop and managed to get this photo

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mark_sellers/media/samsungmainboard_zps49da4c79.png.html?sort=3&o=0

somehow i dont thing it is the same mainboard as what the warranty company sent a photo of i have emailed them and i will email samsung and let you know how i get on i do have photos of the burnt out cable it was been charged on at the time but the photo was take on an s3 mini and its focus it rubbish so i will try and get a better photo.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bme46 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies i took my phone into a walk in repair shop and managed to get this photo

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mark_sellers/media/samsungmainboard_zps49da4c79.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks different to the original pic to me but is this where Samsung turn around and void your warranty for having your phone opened up at a 3rd party repair shop...? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like either someone has used some cleaner to remove the corrosion to see if it cured the fault or it's another motherboard.

I'd say that I think it more likely the crud has been removed prior to the Samsung pictures being taken.