Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be hilarious.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't actually say the internet connection will be required at all times. You could read that to mean the "always on always connected" experience is the best way to experience it like it seems the PS4 will as well.

It does say Kinect will be required to operate the system though.

And lol if it turns out that all games need to be installed, that is one of the things 360 fanboys have attacked PS3 with for years.

Of course it could just be more BS rumours
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Okay, I probably shouldn't be telling you guys this, but I have a friend who knows real insider stuff. I mean, real insider stuff - as in, he's actually seen the inside of buildings and stuff. Anyway, last time he was in a building looking at its insides, he managed to nab a document relating to Microsoft's next console (which is funny, because it was a funeral parlour). I'll probably be killed for posting this on an internet forum (top right hand corner of document: "DO NOT POST ON INTERNET FORA") but I shall now give you the details.

1. It's not going to be called the Durango, of course. It's actually called the Durandurango.
    2. It will be eight feet long and shaped like an eel.
    3. No discs. Durandurango games will come on small spheres the size of golf balls.
    4. It will require a constant internet connection, as other rumours have indicated, BUT - it must be a 28kbps dial up connection. Apparently, Microsoft thinks the Wi-Fi fad has "passed".

At the bottom of the document, after the blood stain, is a small doodle of what appears to be a rocket. Whether this indicates that the Durandurango will, in fact, have space travel capabilities I couldn't possibly speculate.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    It doesn't actually say the internet connection will be required at all times. You could read that to mean the "always on always connected" experience is the best way to experience it like it seems the PS4 will as well.

It does say Kinect will be required to operate the system though.

And lol if it turns out that all games need to be installed, that is one of the things 360 fanboys have attacked PS3 with for years.

Of course it could just be more BS rumours

What? Every 360 gamer I know installs their games to their Hard Drive to prevent the unnecessary over usage of the disk drive. I have never heard anybody getting attacked over installing games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for MS's announcement.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? Every 360 gamer I know installs their games to their Hard Drive to prevent the unnecessary over usage of the disk drive. I have never heard anybody getting attacked over installing games.
    Really? It was a much more common occurrence in forums before the 360 had the ability to install games. Before that capability was added, installs were frowned upon by the 360 crowd. It was also popular to mock the PS3 for forcing Blu-ray onto its users.

MS were also very vocal about the PS3s media capabilites, saying that the PS3 didn't know what it wanted to be although they stopped saying that soon after the NXE update launched.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed, huh? In as much as it says at the top of the doc that it's preliminary text that is subject to change?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    This is the documents from the actual Durango dev kit - so they would hardly change such core requirements especially if they want games released along with the console.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

The mandatory installs of some PS3 games have been used as a stick to beat the platform with. The key thing with the 360 version is that it's voluntary.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    and always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always *current* with this always on always connected design user will quickly and easily enjoy their *connected* experience with with *** waiting for the console to restart *** install updates. ( stars are for the words I could only barely make out.)

It's very vague I would say myself. It does not imply it's impossible to use the console without this 'always connected' feature. It's just outlining a big feature of console.

If MS released a console that allowed no offline game play. They would be destroyed in regions across the Europe and Australia,NZ, and many other regions including certain states in america. As many of places mentioned, people just don't have internet, or have regular down times due natural disasters. Or have an extremely slow connection, not very fit for downloading large updates for games or software. There's also going to be many many kids out who want this console who don't have access internet in the room where console is most likely going to be.

Now does anyone really see MS potentially pissing of their best region the US; Or one there biggest demographic children? It just won't happen. Look at what happen to sim city when 1 million people tried to go online. Imagine 2-3 million forced to go online, or in the future if it hits 50 million sales. The world is simply not ready for this and It's been shown countless of times.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    This is the original document that Edge, VGleaks, etc used to source all the rumours 3 months ago about always on and mandatory kinect etc. Now that news is slow vgl have posted the full document. It is the same source so confirms nothing.

I don't think they faked the SDK doc but I do question how old it is and what details have changed since. For example, once over both MS and Sony were looking at blocking used games - now Sony has dropped the idea MS would be talking a huge risk going it alone.
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    This is the original document that Edge, VGleaks, etc used to source all the rumours 3 months ago about always on and mandatory kinect etc. Now that news is slow vgl have posted the full document. It is the same source so confirms nothing.

I don't think they faked the SDK doc but I do question how old it is and what details have changed since. For example, once over both MS and Sony were looking at blocking used games - now Sony has dropped the idea MS would be talking a huge risk going it alone.

I'm sure Sony change their stance on blocking used games from saying their not doing it, to we are not talking about it just yet didn't they ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    This is the documents from the actual Durango dev kit - so they would hardly change such core requirements especially if they want games released along with the console.

Like Sony didn't change the amount of RAM specified in their documentation for the press event! :D
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    I always have my internet connection on & my console's hooked into it anyway, However I don't always sign-in on the console's as I very rarely actually have a need to since I don't play online a great deal.

Game install's been mandatory, Depends on if its a full install or partial install & how fast the install is.

The game install's was one of my biggest gripes with the PS3 when I brought it, Especially given how long some games took to install (MGS4 & GT5 took me about an hour to install before I was able to play them).
    The game install's (As well as regular patches & updates) also saw me going for a HDD upgrade (Originally had a 40Gb HDD) within 2-3 months while my original 20Gb 360 drive was not even close to been full after 2-3 years.

The biggest thing for me however is Kinect, I have zero interest in it & if Kinect is a mandatory/required thing on the NextBox then I can honestly say I will never buy it regardless of what games are released or how good they may be.

Im already undecided on the PS4 because Move is basically built into the new controller & the twin-camera bar seems like it might be a mandatory requirement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for conformation but if it's true it can't be good for console gaming.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I'll wait for conformation but if it's true it can't be good for console gaming.

IF either kinect OR Move are mandatory then ill be sticking with my wiiu ... I'm 100% serious aswell!!! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't blame you don't like all the speculation about needing to be online. Console gaming should be about enjoying single player and multi player games whenever you want.
    Forum Member
    I always have my internet connection on & my console's hooked into it anyway, However I don't always sign-in on the console's as I very rarely actually have a need to since I don't play online a great deal.

Game install's been mandatory, Depends on if its a full install or partial install & how fast the install is.

The game install's was one of my biggest gripes with the PS3 when I brought it, Especially given how long some games took to install (MGS4 & GT5 took me about an hour to install before I was able to play them).
    The game install's (As well as regular patches & updates) also saw me going for a HDD upgrade (Originally had a 40Gb HDD) within 2-3 months while my original 20Gb 360 drive was not even close to been full after 2-3 years.

The biggest thing for me however is Kinect, I have zero interest in it & if Kinect is a mandatory/required thing on the NextBox then I can honestly say I will never buy it regardless of what games are released or how good they may be.

Im already undecided on the PS4 because Move is basically built into the new controller & the twin-camera bar seems like it might be a mandatory requirement.

The PS3 used a slower BD drive 2x, the first one on the market I believe. The new xbox will probably use 6x BD drive much like the PS4 so by my calculations it could install a full duel layer BD in 30 minutes. So install times won't be a problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »

It is from February 2012.

Design principles won't change too much though.

So whilst you could double the RAM like Sony, the principles of being always-connected wouldn't be very likely to change as the ramifications of improving (or worsening) a specification are not much compared to the ramifications of changing the fundamentals of the console's 'way of life' if you like.

In other words, doubling or reducing the RAM isn't going to cause much of a delay for a game already in development.

Saying it is always-connected and then 6 months later saying it isn't means all the work a studio may have done based on the fact that everyone will always be online would be null and void.

But anyway a lot of people are reading this incorrectly.

It is just the same as the PS4. It is always on, always connected.

It will download updates without you knowing. It'll update your live tiles without you knowing.

Just like a Sky box is. And you don't hear much uproar about having to have your Sky box permanently glued into your phone socket.

And it is funny that people posting on a forum with a device connected the internet are worried about a device having to be connected to the internet.

Some people's concerns are single player gaming offline. The only valid point.

And actually, the worry is probably not that a console may or may not require always-online, but that the dev studios make it that way anyway.

We already have it in PC games and Ubisoft have already hinted at similar stuff with a connected world in the single player Watch Dogs mode.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The document suggests the game will start playing immediately while installing in the background.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    We already have it in PC games and Ubisoft have already hinted at similar stuff with a connected world in the single player Watch Dogs mode.

Well we saw from Sim City.. there is a lot of rage out there about "always online" single player experiences. Although I think a lot of that was down to server problems more than the actual requirement to be online. I think if the servers are always available and people aren't prevented from playing their game.. they would probably be a lot more willing to accept the situation. But introduce server problems.. and the rage reaches insane levels.

The details in this leak don't sound too horrific really. People need to get used to this 'always online' thing. It isn't going away. Far from it. Before long having a physical game in your hand will be a thing of the past.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I hear about durandurango the less I find appealing about it, which is a shame. Obviously I need to wait until they have a full release spec.

Always require kinect? No thanks, I don't want to be constantly in front of a camera, it triggers my paranoia that i usally manage to keep under control. This is why i have a sticker over my laptops built in webcam. If I do buy one and have no option then the kinect will stay in the box.

Always on always connected? I guess in some respect the 360 is always connected, but isn't configured for doing anything meaningful in the background such as upates. Less keen on "always on" as that's just a waste of electric. No, it will get turned on when i want to play a game and get turned off afterward.

My concern about mandatory installs is the comment of "discs will only be used as a means of transport" - this suggests that there could be some manner of activation during install - which could cripple the second hand market - "sorry, this product is already active on a different console"
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None this bothers me really, yes the status-quo would be nice but progress can't be holted because a few gamers don't like the way things are going.

Like mentioned above, always on, is no different to a sky box.

Kinect needs to be connected for the console to work, ok, so does my controller.

Mandatory installs, no problem, save the optical drive, wish the PS3 supported full installs.

None of what is planned for the next consoles has really put me off.

Probably all being said before, but that's my opinion too.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I think the always-on is a pre-curser to no used games. That's my fear.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    IAnd lol if it turns out that all games need to be installed, that is one of the things 360 fanboys have attacked PS3 with for years.

A little bit different since the mandatory installs were due to the slow Blu Ray, plus in nearly all cases it would still only be a partial install requiring the Blu Ray to access data on top. Plus doesn't the leaked data suggest you can play the game while it's installing.

These rumours should be taken with a pinch of salt, it's from leaked documents that date back to last year, so many things may of changed since then and almost certainly since Sony's unveiling. The "always online" feature could be something as simple as Wii Connect 24 (which is most likely), in no way does it suggest you have to be online to play any games or for the "720" to work.

If anyone here actually believes MS will restrict players in these ways while Nintendo and Sony won't then you are obviously not looking at it with a rational mindset. They would lose before the machine was even released.