Why are you buying an Xbox One?

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Seriously all i want is people to justify why they'd ever consider an Xbox One.

After all we know there is nothing that would ever make me purchase this DRM ridden anti consumer console that is designed to take away consumer rights and overcharge you for it.

Anyone want to bite?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I am not making any decisions until launch, and to be honest maybe a few months after. But in the meantime I will happy watch arguments over both of them. I do agree that Microsoft have to do a lot of U turning if they want to compete, even more so in the UK
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well, as a 360 gamer it feels like the most natural path to take at this point. I'm buying an X1 for the games and for the series that I love the most. Forza Motorsport, (I guess Turn 10 are to me what Naughty Dog is to you if you are a Sony fan).

I'm a big fan of Remedy's work so I look forward to Quantum Break, the promise of a new Halo at 1080p @ 60 fps makes me think there is a strong focus on gameplay. Dead Rising 3 looks awesome, Ryse look nice, even a new (to all accounts and purposes) Panzer Dragoon game with proper controls and a new Killer Instinct. D4 and Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive look intriguing, some good exclusives there! It's a solid launch for sure! (IMO)

I also like the look of the controller, the idea of impulse triggers which I know will enhance gameplay in subtle but significant ways.

I really don't understand all the hate, life's too short, these things are here for our enjoyment, if you don't like it then don't buy it, I fail to really understand why there is this "need" to somehow justify a purchase of an X1. If you like PS4 then cool, go enjoy it! I won't judge you.

One thing's for sure, I'm certainly not going to be basing my purchase of a games console on "consumer rights", because at the end of the day I won't notice any difference between the operation of either machine when it comes to playing games. Some people may not be so lucky and it's unfortunate for them.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Just to add, I get the whole argument, what right do MS have to lock me out of my own game if cannot connect to the internet every 24 hours? I'm not even going to try and justify that, yes MS are bastards and I'm hoping they will change this policy to allow disk authentication as the 360 does currently. The fact is though I can connect to the internet every 24hours and my life would be weird if I didn't. Life's too short and we don't really "own" anything anyway at the end of the day. Game on.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, this fella is happy :D

xbox 1 rant this way ---->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryB-hdtpQRw
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    For lots of reasons....

1. I have a 9 year old son who loves creation games (Lego, minecraft etc etc) when i showed him some games coming out he was instantly sold. When he saw 'project spark' he said things like 'I want to make a tree into a fighter!' There is also a new edition of Minecraft coming to the Xbox one. My son is mad on minecraft.the added kinect is also a bonus as my 5 year old daughter loves playing kinect at my brothers house.

2. I much prefer the Xbox 360 joypad over the ps3 joypad, and the Xbox one joypad has been improved (if thats even possible)

3. It will cost me more to buy a ps4. Yup, if i bought i ps4 i would have to buy a ps+ sub aswell as the camera ( for my kids) which would hike the price over the Xbox ones price which i already have 18 months gold left on with the 360.

4. I prefer xbox live over PSN.

5.i already have an account on 360 so will be able to carry all my achievements and friends over ( those that haven't jumped shop of course.)

6. The Xbox one has more exclusive games lined up for it that i want to play. Dead rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, Titanfall, project spark.

7. All my friends are getting one.

8. The fact that the ps4 is supporting pre owned sales works in my favour, because it means that if i do decide to get one in a couple of years i could buy one with a stack of pre owned games on the cheap.

9. The potential of 'the cloud' excites me.

10. 24 hour checks don't bother me, I'm always connected to Xbox live anyway.

........I could probably go on, but I'll leave it there. Iv'e been back and forth over the past few weeks. (Iv'e pre ordered and cancelled a ps4 3 times!) but now have my mind set on Microsofts offering. If it flops, then so be it, at least I'll get enjoyment for a few years before i move on.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want this to be seen as an attack on anybody in this thread. I just don't get the argument of I'm a 360 owner so Im getting an Xbox one. I'm a 360 gamer. The key word is not 360, its gamer, to me anyway. I have sunk 6+years into my 360 account, achievements, games, Minecraft :D and friends. Walking away is hard but for me it has to be done. If the future is Microsoft then I want no part of it. Its not what gaming is about to me and if I was a 10 year old gamer in todays world the xbox one would seriously restrict my ability to play games, (many games) easily and I would simply not grow up with the same love for games as I do now.

I have talked with a few xbox friends and I have made it clear I will switching to the PS4 weather they are crossing over or not. The ones I talked to all agreed with me. (All adults). This new xbox is just not gamer friendly no matter how people paint it. To me its just not what gaming is about.
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am the type of person who if for a minute thinks that I am missing out on something because I don't have it then it will annoy me. It really depends on what some of my friends are buying but I will probably buy an Xbox One at launch or around Christmas time.
    Forum Member
    I have talked with a few xbox friends and I have made it clear I will switching to the PS4 weather they are crossing over or not. The ones I talked to all agreed with me. (All adults). This new xbox is just not gamer friendly no matter how people paint it. To me its just not what gaming is about.

You can do what you want with your money no one is going to judge you. I know of a guy at work that openly sleeps with prostitues and spends a small fortune doing it and i don't judge him, i can see why he does it, and its his money, so he can do what he wants with it. I have another friend who spent over a grand on an Apple IMac, it has the same specs as a laptop that could be purchased for half the price, but , once again, its his money, and if he can afford it, we'll done him.

The problem i have with the 'gaming community' at the moment is that anyone buying an Xbox one seems to be being judged, in some small minded way to justify their own choices. We're apparently not gamers, which is totally wrong. I have nothing against anyone buying a ps4, i can see why the ps4 is appealing to the consumer and if people want that then so be it, it effects me zero.

The restrictions that Microsoft have imposed is wrong, i know this, but they don't effect me as a gamer at all.

1.ive had my xbox 360 connected to the Internet since day one and its never been disconnected unless to move it for any reason.I also play 95% of my gaming online ( defiance,borderlands,call of duty etc etc) so if my Internet goes down, I'll do something else, i have other hobbies aswell.

2.i own around 14 disc based games, not one of them is pre owned, and some i purchased for under 15 quid, the rest of my games are on my Hard drive though games on demand etc.Although i will admit to trading some games in the past to buy new games, i will see how this works with Xbox one in the future if i do decide to cash in on some of my old games.

3.i loan games to 1 friend, and he does the same in return, i trust him with my life and we have often logged in to each others accounts to play games that we have purchased. This will carry on with Xbox one.Maybe more so with the cloud

I just wish people would leave off a little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    You can do what you want with your money no one is going to judge you. I know of a guy at work that openly sleeps with prostitues and spends a small fortune doing it and i don't judge him, i can see why he does it, and its his money, so he can do what he wants with it. I have another friend who spent over a grand on an Apple IMac, it has the same specs as a laptop that could be purchased for half the price, but , once again, its his money, and if he can afford it, we'll done him.

The problem i have with the 'gaming community' at the moment is that anyone buying an Xbox one seems to be being judged, in some small minded way to justify their own choices. We're apparently not gamers, which is totally wrong. I have nothing against anyone buying a ps4, i can see why the ps4 is appealing to the consumer and if people want that then so be it, it effects me zero.

The restrictions that Microsoft have imposed is wrong, i know this, but they don't effect me as a gamer at all.

1.ive had my xbox 360 connected to the Internet since day one and its never been disconnected unless to move it for any reason.I also play 95% of my gaming online ( defiance,borderlands,call of duty etc etc) so if my Internet goes down, I'll do something else, i have other hobbies aswell.

2.i own around 14 disc based games, not one of them is pre owned, and some i purchased for under 15 quid, the rest of my games are on my Hard drive though games on demand etc.

3.i loan games to 1 friend, and he does the same in return, i trust him with my life and we have often logged in to each others accounts to play games that we have purchesed. This will carry on with Xbox one.Maybe more so with the cloud

I just wish people would leave off a little.

You can spend your money any way you like, its just when I see people giving their reasons to buy the console its almost hard to believe. But anyway your experiences are very unique. You have reliable internet that never goes down. You don't buy used games. And you trust your friend with your life. (and your account). But even you must admit that is quite unique.

But on those points. When your son grows up and lets say in 6 or so years time he is off to college you will not be able to lend him any of your games. Or he takes the console and you are left with nothing.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was going to buy the Xbox One until Sony destroyed any hope of Micosoft's console keeping at least even during the next generation.

One console with next to no DRM and the other with MS's own brand of insanity, there is only going to be one outcome, I'm not putting my money into the next 'Wii U' - because that's where the Xbox One is heading imo.

If we see some favourable movement from MS in the next few months then I will reconsider my position, but until then my money is on the PS4.
    Forum Member
    . You have reliable internet that never goes down.

But on those points. When your son grows up and lets say in 6 or so years time he is off to college you will not be able to lend him any of your games. Or he takes the console and you are left with nothing.

:D My Internet has gone down before, but as i play most of my gaming online i was screwed on those occasions aswell. Besides, i only have to sign in every 24 hours, so its all good.

And my son is 9 and will be and comprehensive school until he is 18 years old, and when that time comes he can buy his own bloody console!:D
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a Xbox one because I feel they are better games due in the first year of its life. But I do rent 90% of my games from lovefilm so I'm going to wait and see how that will work out with drm.

We will have to wait and see how the console sells in the first year or so because the 360 had a great advantage last gen because it was first out and outsold the ps3 in the early years so it was the lead platform for developers. But if the ps4 outsells the Xbox one by a big margin then developers will do a better job on the ps4 version and we may lose out on content and less support in general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it just doesn't give me the XBoner I was expecting.
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    No, it just doesn't give me the XBoner I was expecting.

Thread title: why are you buying an Xbox One?

Your answer: No

:confused:

And you were expecting an 'xboner'.......?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my son is 9 and will be and comprehensive school until he is 18 years old, and when that time comes he can buy his own bloody console!:D

and his own games don't forget :cry:
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I can do and I want to. As I said in another thread. i have the disposable income and I don't want to miss out on some of my favourite games; Forza, Halo, Gears.

But, just like 360 won me over this gen with my PS3 relegated to being a glorified blu-ray player. Next gen will be PS4 for my primary gaming option and X1 as an exclusives only part-time ornament.
    Forum Member
    and his own games don't forget :cry:

He has got 9 years to save up his pocket money;)
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason those that are fully committed to the Xbox one are getting stick from the majority is simply down to their perceived lack of solidarity with other gamers, they are the 'I'm Alright Jack' brigade. If you show an unflinching devotion to a particular brand regardless of their complete and utter lack of respect for you then you are opening the floodgates for these sorts of corporate greed decisions to continue. Just because a particular change doesn’t effect you personally doesn’t mean you should blindly accept it, have some sympathy for those it does affect and hopefully if enough people voice their concerns then the decision may be reversed.
    I have a real issue with not being able to loan games to my brother without jumping through hoops and potentially having my purchased game completely blocked for my own use when I get it back.
    I have been a loyal Xbox player since about 2002, I loved both the controllers (but not the HUGE original xbox controller), I loved the first 2 Halo games, and then gears, forza etc. on the 360 but I will not buy into MS vision for the future of gaming just because I liked a few things about their past work.
    I’ll wait and see before committing to any of the next gen consoles but unless MS make a huge retraction then the only choice will be the PS4 but even that is by no means a certain buy for me.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I have a real issue with not being able to loan games to my brother without jumping through hoops and potentially having my purchased game completely blocked for my own use when I get it back.

No hoops to jump through. You can share your library with your family (up to 10 people in your "family"). You don't even have to give him the disc unless you want to.
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    The reason those that are fully committed to the Xbox one are getting stick from the majority is simply down to their perceived lack of solidarity with other gamers, they are the 'I'm Alright Jack' brigade. If you show an unflinching devotion to a particular brand regardless of their complete and utter lack of respect for you then you are opening the floodgates for these sorts of corporate greed decisions to continue. Just because a particular change doesn’t effect you personally doesn’t mean you should blindly accept it, have some sympathy for those it does affect and hopefully if enough people voice their concerns then the decision may be reversed.
    I have been a loyal Xbox player since about 2002, I loved both the controllers (but not the HUGE original xbox controller), I loved the first 2 Halo games, and then gears, forza etc. on the 360 but I will not buy into MS vision for the future of gaming just because I liked a few things about their past work.
    I’ll wait and see before committing to any of the next gen consoles but unless MS make a huge retraction then the only choice will be the PS4 but even that is by no means a certain buy for me.

So I suppose you dont buy games from online retailers or supermarkets due to them actively killing high street gaming stores as well independent gaming shops?

Or you dont buy any EA games due to the restricrions they already have in place to take a cut of the pre owned market?
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I suppose you dont buy games from online retailers or supermarkets due to them actively killing high street gaming stores as well independent gaming shops?

Or you dont buy any any EA games due to the restricrions they already have in place to take a cut of the pre owned market?

Of course I buy games from online retailers and supermarkets, it's not the same thing really is it? In any case I use gaming shops to sell my unwanted games so I am still using them, something I might not be able to do with Xbox One games unless they're 'approved' by MS.

Why do people always quote EA as the bad guy of the gaming world when there are numerous other publishers that do the exact same thing? In fact in this generation there are probably more games with online passes and countless dlc's than there are without. In fact I just recently purchased GRID 2 which has an online pass but I won't use it, like most games with online passes I don't bother with them as 95% of my gaming is single player. I usually trade them in with the unused codes so someone else gets the use of it.
    TheBigM wrote: »
    No hoops to jump through. You can share your library with your family (up to 10 people in your "family"). You don't even have to give him the disc unless you want to.

I'm don't consider myself to be thick but I still can't quite understand how this is going to work, why wouldn't every Xbox one user just get to together in game sharing 'clans'? This feature isn't going to be straightforward in my cynical opinion, I think some people have suggested you'll need a family live subscription or something along those lines.
    I'd love to think my concerns are unwarranted but I have seen absolutely nothing reassuring coming from MS.

My brother was absolutely 100% getting an Xbox One until MS detailed there games policy, he can't be @rsed with all the nonsense when as experienced gamers of 30+ years we're used to games just 'working'!!!
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    4. I prefer xbox live over PSN.

A little bit of a fanboy-ish thing to say considering NONE of us have played on the Xbox One or the PS4's version of their network, which have gone undergone massive changes and boosts.

Not to mention Sony will be using PLUS as their funds to expand the network even more in the same way Microsoft used to with GOLD (before plowing it into apps).

If anything, they should both be near identical, so this argument will become moot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    x marx the spot

:)
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    A little bit of a fanboy-ish thing .........

I'm done on here. My only regret is not having a 'facepalm' smiley to finish off with.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not. I want a games machine not this piece of $hit ms are trying to pass off as a games machine. Thank god the 360 has got a few years left.