Settings Problem

rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi we have just bought a LG 47LN575V 47" Smart TV which we bought for the extra content IE Netflix, Lovefilm etc,
Overall I am very pleased with it, Great pic on HD channels and the Wi-Fi is very quick, The only problem we have that the pic when watching some films via Wi-Fi is very dark and you cant access settings while watching via Wi-Fi, You have to go back out to normal TV to alter it then back in which is very annoying, I have even left it bright before I go to Wi-Fi but then some films are too bright, If anyone knows a way round this I would appreciate it??

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the 42in version of this telly. Pretty sure I've been able to adjust the settings while streaming over WiFi. Though as I recall you don't get exactly the same menu system as you do when watching other sources.

Not in front of the beast at the moment so relying on my one functioning brain cell to get it right :D But as I recall you just press the Settings button on the remote and you get a menu up and can adjust the picture settings from there.

Also the settings are stored separately for each source, at least on my version of that TV. So adjusting the settings for Freeview won't affect the settings when watching something via HDMI or online.

For whatever reason the default settings on my TV seemed to have the colour set way too high, so everyone looked like they had a bad fake tan applied :) I had to adjust the settings separately for all sources, including online, to get a more natural appearance. So I'm 99.99999999999% certain you should be able to adjust picture settings whatever you are watching.
  • rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for taking a long time to reply I had to go out, Mine sounds a bit different to yours, The settings button doesn't do anything while watching via Wi-Fi, The only thing you can alter is the volume.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rifleman19 wrote: »
    Sorry for taking a long time to reply I had to go out, Mine sounds a bit different to yours, The settings button doesn't do anything while watching via Wi-Fi, The only thing you can alter is the volume.
    I'd be surprised if there was any major difference between the firmware on the two though. Having different sized display panels shouldn't alter that greatly.

Unless there is a difference in firmware versions of course. About the first thing my telly did after I fed in the WiFi details was go off and download a new version of firmware, 4. something if I recall correctly.

As I said, not in front of the telly at the moment so can't absolutely confirm what happens. Might have to get back to this later on this evening when I do have a chance to get in front of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there was any major difference between the firmware on the two though. Having different sized display panels shouldn't alter that greatly.

Unless there is a difference in firmware versions of course. About the first thing my telly did after I fed in the WiFi details was go off and download a new version of firmware, 4. something if I recall correctly.

As I said, not in front of the telly at the moment so can't absolutely confirm what happens. Might have to get back to this later on this evening when I do have a chance to get in front of it.
    Thanks for the reply, Mine also did a firmware update when I connected, I will wait until you can try yours out and go from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update, I have just found a number for LG customer support and rang them, They confirmed that on my TV the settings button when watching via Wi-Fi does not work but they said each provider should give you that option, Well after a bit of mucking about I found a menu on Lovefilm which works and I am still trying to find it on Netflix fingers crossed, Thanks for the reply and I hope this info may help anyone else with this problem!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a play with the iPlayer app. Pressing Settings had zero effect no matter what I was doing in iPlayer. However top left of the remote just under the On/Off button is the Q-Menu button. Which does work as long as you are playing or have paused a programme and gives you full access to the LG picture and sound menus.

Not the same appearance as the Settings button menus but all the same settings available for tweaking.

Haven't tried it on anything else yet but maybe it works on all play options?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Just had a play with the iPlayer app. Pressing Settings had zero effect no matter what I was doing in iPlayer. However top left of the remote just under the On/Off button is the Q-Menu button. Which does work as long as you are playing or have paused a programme and gives you full access to the LG picture and sound menus.

Not the same appearance as the Settings button menus but all the same settings available for tweaking.

Haven't tried it on anything else yet but maybe it works on all play options?

Yes it works a treat thanks on everything and much easier than what LG told me to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rifleman19 wrote: »
    Yes it works a treat thanks on everything and much easier than what LG told me to do.
    After I posted that I had a play with some of the other options available and found it worked on most of them. Couldn't try some of them as they require parting with money to get anything to play :D