Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker was back to form with that episode, imo. The Brits, Kate Middleton, etc was all spot on. I also liked how he took the p*** out of the film review segment.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    The bits I'm not keen on were dropped this week, I hope poetry corner, points of you and the film panel don't come back. ;) That Harlem shake thing, it may have been the next big thing once but now you have people like Noel Edmonds doing it, it's time for the next next big thing.

Harlem Shake seemed to be over before it had even begun. I'd seen it mentioned a couple of times in the past week but didn't look into it, but after last night I see it's over already.

When was Noel Edmonds involved? I'm presuming not with Deal, as that's filmed months in advance.
    iaindb wrote: »
    Tut! Five episodes. Brooker, you lazy bas<bleep>rd!

Thanks for the info. That'll save me wasting half an hour of my life watching it. Or electricity Skyplussing it.

Yep. I'll have a quick look just in case it's wrong, but I'll be ready with something else to kill time until Question Time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Loved the clip from a Mumford and Sons interview: "Some of our songs take years to finish."

Brooker: "Tell me about it....."

:cool:
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very poor last night. I watched a recording and found myself skipping bits all the way through it. I think it's had its day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best episodes of this series IMO.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlem Shake has just gone to number one in the USA on the strength of its You Tube views which is now included in the way the chart is calculated.

The record at number two sold twice as many copies.

That's why it is currently newsworthy.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Philomena and Shitpeas. Funny once then it just becomes utterly contrived and I end up fast forwarding through them.

Same with the US comedian skit.

I end up watching about 10 minutes of the show in all to be honest, pretty poor going. Brooker is good but massively overhyped in circles.
    When was Noel Edmonds involved? I'm presuming not with Deal, as that's filmed months in advance.

It was Deal or No Deal, presumably using current filming contestants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QKk2LUGxc
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the kat middleton bit was so funny. She really is JUST conveyed by the media as a doll, it's not her fault. I was aghast when she went to promote awareness at hope house, a rehab place, and instead of the news reporting ANYTHING remotely related to the organisation, they blabbered on about what the woman looked like and what she was wearing.

Absolutely perverse if u ask me - given that her purpose there was utterly overshadowed.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I love it when he tears into rolling news coverage,
    Forum Member
    Excellent episode - some really great bits, reminded my of why I really like Charlie Brooker.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genius. Kate Middleton bit especially. Shitpeas on fine form too.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    I love it when he tears into rolling news coverage,

The big problem with 24 hour coverage, as Brooker has pointed out many times, is that the reporters run out of things to say and it just becomes dull, repetitive and annoying. The problem is, though, that I think they're afraid that if they switch to another news item that they'll miss something, so they have to keep relentlessly focusing on minute, unimportant details while waiting for something to happen.

Even in this day and age I still prefer to watch the daily news bulletins rather than the 24 hr news channels because you do at least get wider coverage and not 45 minutes of a reporter desperately trying to think of something interesting to say about an empty cordoned-off street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I don't like Philomena and Shitpeas. Funny once then it just becomes utterly contrived and I end up fast forwarding through them.

Same with the US comedian skit.

I end up watching about 10 minutes of the show in all to be honest, pretty poor going. Brooker is good but massively overhyped in circles.

If you don't enjoy the majority of it, why watch at all?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genius. Kate Middleton bit especially. Shitpeas on fine form too.

I thought the Kate Middleton part went on far too long. I don't care about her or the media reporting either way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    The film review segment was the first time he made proper use of it.

Best review of Cloud Atlas I've seen too.

God, that book annoyed me. I kept waiting for it to be good. The written word was even worse than the film, I imagine, because it kept changing style. Every different story line was written with a different sodding technique, arrgh! What was the actual point!

I'm still angry about that book. Yes, Charlie. Yes! Very much 'tricksey'.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Thanks. It's definitely got old fast, though.
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    The big problem with 24 hour coverage, as Brooker has pointed out many times, is that the reporters run out of things to say and it just becomes dull, repetitive and annoying. The problem is, though, that I think they're afraid that if they switch to another news item that they'll miss something, so they have to keep relentlessly focusing on minute, unimportant details while waiting for something to happen.

Even in this day and age I still prefer to watch the daily news bulletins rather than the 24 hr news channels because you do at least get wider coverage and not 45 minutes of a reporter desperately trying to think of something interesting to say about an empty cordoned-off street.

I generally watch C4 News each day. I've been out at work and it's a good summary of everything, with the occasional special report on something that you won't see on BBC News.

However, when the news pads out time with endless guff about, say, Lord Rennard (who?) I have to ask - where's the real news?
    raadsel wrote: »
    The film review segment was the first time he made proper use of it.

Best review of Cloud Atlas I've seen too.

God, that book annoyed me. I kept waiting for it to be good. The written word was even worse than the film, I imagine, because it kept changing style. Every different story line was written with a different sodding technique, arrgh! What was the actual point!

I'm still angry about that book. Yes, Charlie. Yes! Very much 'tricksey'.

I enjoyed the film, but I never read books.
    http://dvdfever.co.uk/?p=19724
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Harlem Shake seemed to be over before it had even begun. I'd seen it mentioned a couple of times in the past week but didn't look into it, but after last night I see it's over already.

Noel's version showed up in the trending/popular list of videos in my YouTube app, it didn't look like it was from an episode of DOND rather that they filmed it as "a bit of fun" during normal filming and just uploaded it, I think This Morning also did one which I guess really does show it's not cool anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one watching this tonight?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm watching the WIPE ..... GET WIPED :D
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh but it's a compilation :mad:

Damn those DQF cuts....
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    No one watching this tonight?

It's just a compilation, so turned it off.
    Forum Member
    A best of?

Meh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    A best of?

Meh!

I only discovered it last week, so I don't mind. ;)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THAT REACTION

funniest bit in the entire run
    :D
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compilation shows are just LAZY! I hate it when the BBC does this for nearly every programme. :mad: