Multilingual website

Okay so I've been working on a fairly large ASP.NET website for a while now and it's now at the point where I should be thinking about implementing different languages. The site at the moment detects the browser language so just need to create language files for the menus etc.

What would be the best way to implement this? Bearing in mind there is a lot of text, not just a simple navigation menu.

I'm thinking... create a database with all of the text in the different languages then on the .aspx page, pull the corresponding text based on the browser language. However this means more code and perhaps take longer to process?

Another method would be to create identical copies of the website for each language I'll support and have a redirect to the corresponding folder based on the browser language. website.com/en , website.com/fr etc. Not very practical for updating pages though.

There is a member system which will let the user select whatever language they want, this would override the default language based on the browser when the member logs in. So until they log in, the language displayed will be based on their browser.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before you even start on a language make sure you have some native speakers give the site's language a once over as lets just say local slang can really make or break a site...and not just getting everything translated its every time you make a change you need to replicate it and check that you aint made some silly grammatical error which will make your site the butt of many jokes