Will Drive Club be any good as a single player game?

gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
Title says it all really!

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id think no. It looks like its built as a social game
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought. Oh well, looks like NFS for my first next-gen racing game then!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its async multiplayer though isn't it? Leaderboards and stuff. So you dont need a good net connection.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    I was kinda excited about this when it was revealed but the more I hear about it the less I like.

From the initial reveal I was expecting something Sim-like but apparently its going to be more on the arcade side which is a bit disappointing & most of the focus is going to be based around playing & working as part of the online community with the offline/single player side taking a back seat.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    One for just getting off the PS Plus sub I feel
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least most PS4 buyer will be able to try this for free before making a final decision about buying the game thanks to a cut down version been on Plus from day one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its async multiplayer though isn't it? Leaderboards and stuff. So you dont need a good net connection.

Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Oh well, looks like NFS for my first next-gen racing game then!

Forza 5 will be the ultimate racer on the next gen consoles for some time, you should have held your nerve on the X1.

Hope you weren't influenced by the blabble on here.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Forza 5 will be the ultimate racer on the next gen consoles for some time, you should have held your nerve on the X1.

Hope you weren't influenced by the blabble on here.

Jog on to the xbox rorum fanboy.

Nobody knows what racer will be best yet i personally think forza 5 looks great but will not be the ultimate racer.
    IMO i think The Crew may beat them all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Jog on to the xbox rorum fanboy.

Nobody knows what racer will be best yet i personally think forza 5 looks great but will not be the ultimate racer.
    IMO i think The Crew may beat them all.

Your a bit touchy aren't you. Lmfao. I won't be moving to the xbox forum because, you see, I'm 1 of those that don't like the way Xbox has gone.

I'll leave you to your own little ideas.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Your a bit touchy aren't you. Lmfao. I won't be moving to the xbox forum because, you see, I'm 1 of those that don't like the way Xbox has gone.

I'll leave you to your own little ideas.

Just was in bad mood sorry :p plus sick of all the fanboy bs on these forums lately lol.
    With games like forza 5 , the crew , driveclub , gt6 , (may be on ps4 too?) i think the next generation really could be a huge revolution in racing games. Personally i'm excited about what the future holds now for gaming.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the single player will be decent. The motorstorm games had great driver AI so hopefully the same will be true here. I cannot tell what the structure of the game will be though and that has a big influence on how the single player feels.
    Curious where they go with handling. I am expecting more of a sim feel than the 'storm games but not a full blown GT style approach.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    I think the single player will be decent. The motorstorm games had great driver AI so hopefully the same will be true here. I cannot tell what the structure of the game will be though and that has a big influence on how the single player feels.
    Curious where they go with handling. I am expecting more of a sim feel than the 'storm games but not a full blown GT style approach.

It's PGR style in handling, Sony would obviously want to differentiate their driving IP's - one arcade with DC and one sim with Gran Turismo. Evolution inherited a lot of new dev's from Bizarre Creations (PGR and Blur) and Liverpool Studio (WipEout) so it will be quite different to Motorstorm.

Hopefully Evolution will have a new build of the game as the E3 demo was only 35% complete and more details regarding single player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never played PGR but enjoyed Metropolis Street Racer back on the dreamcast so that will work for me.
    I hope some of the motorstorm feel remains though. Love that series.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    Never played PGR but enjoyed Metropolis Street Racer back on the dreamcast so that will work for me.
    I hope some of the motorstorm feel remains though. Love that series.

I'm a huge fan of Motorstorm and I remember when I first got a PS3 with the game and it was truly a 'next-gen' game from the PS2. I thought Pacific Rim was even better but lost the whole carnival aspect that was great about the original and wasn't a great fan of Apocalypse.

The PGR series is great and is one of if not the best arcade racer from this generation IMO but again wasn't completely sold on Blur and we all know what Liverpool can do with the WipEout series.

With all this background I was hyped for DRIVECLUB but it hasn't convinced me yet since E3. Looking forward to new details at Gamescom and again its free on PS+ (minus most cars/tracks) but still has all the features and you can upgrade for a minimal fee. So we can always try it before we buy, win-win.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although remember you can try any ps4 game before you buy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of Motorstorm and I remember when I first got a PS3 with the game and it was truly a 'next-gen' game .

I agree - I remember my first my first race, tearing around a corner to find a pile up of the AI drivers. It felt really advanced from what I was used to. Brilliant game. Driveclub will have to go some to make a similar impression on me.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some captured footage from Driveclub, rather than camera off-screen stuff

http://youtu.be/GW0My8L6Q7o
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Title says it all really!

If you got PSN Plus you can find out without buying it....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some new footage showing the game's day/night cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ROVV9PU2k
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    How much will the upgrade cost to the full game if its any good & you want to buy it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    How much will the upgrade cost to the full game if its any good & you want to buy it?

That hasn't been announced yet, and won't be for "a few more weeks" according to Evolution Studio's Design Director
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a single player campaign, if it hasn't already been answered.

I love the side-window reflection. Lighting is very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWOwPwHGEA is the official video, not a re-rip.

Don't forget to hit that Original quality setting if you have the new YouTube player!
    13 things we’d like you to know about this video:
    1. If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.

2. The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58. :-)

3. Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.

4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.

5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.

6. Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!

7. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.

8. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

9. The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.

10. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.

11. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.

12. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.

13. The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played it at eurogamer expo this weekend. After a minute worth of play I stopped. didn't like it at all but I don't like driving simulators. looks nice I guess