I am so disgusted with Torchwood last night and might complain

faith11faith11 Posts: 908
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone

Last night Torchwood reached a new low by introducing that absolutely torturous death for Vera.The so called miracle meant if someone was shot or tortured rather than dying it could take them ages to suffer the most horrible pain.Imagine the pain Vera would have gone through being burnt alive.It would have taken so long!I hate Torchwood for this and this scene last night was vomit inducing.Shame on you Torchwood:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Whitehouse, is that you? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, shes not actually real so dont worry about it:)
  • faith11faith11 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am not Mary Winehouse thank you but have quite a vivid imagination.I once saw a documentary on tv of people tortured in the middle ages.It was gruesome believe me and it sometimes took them days to die.What I find disturbing with Torchwood is that due to the 'miracle' it will take even longer for victims like Vera to suffer pain.The idea of anyone going through such pain especially for that long/length of time made me so angry and made me feel like throwing up.If you have a vivid imagination like me and strength of empathy like I do,you will understand how I feel and won't make fun of me.:(
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

Back from the dead is she?

Hmmm... *checks watch*

8 years... give or take...

Took her long enough ;)
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    faith11 wrote: »
    I am not Mary Winehouse thank you but have quite a vivid imagination.I once saw a documentary on tv of people tortured in the middle ages.It was gruesome believe me and it sometimes took them days to die.What I find disturbing with Torchwood is that due to the 'miracle' it will take even longer for victims like Vera to suffer pain.The idea of anyone going through such pain especially for that long/length of time made me so angry and made me feel like throwing up.If you have a vivid imagination like me and strength of empathy like I do,you will understand how I feel and won't make fun of me.:(

I have a vivid imagination, and I don't like violence and I am squeamish. The scene was pretty gruesome.

However, if you have a vivid imagination and you don't like violence etc. why watch Torchwood. I watched the scene through my fingers and I jumped up when I couldn't take it anymore (same with car crash politician). Also, it's not as if Torchwood has all of a sudden become violent or horrid. I'm sorry the child's death in children of earth or the kids being used as drug material for the reast of their lives was just as bad.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Soo... the BBC can't show gruesome scenes postwatershed either?

Why, may I ask, after the decapticated, crispy but still alive corpse in episode 1, were you still watching TW in episode 5 so you could be traumatized? :confused:
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

You do realise, that that was the whole point of the scene, don't you? :rolleyes:

Or are you just trolling?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a vivid imagination, and I don't like violence and I am squeamish. The scene was pretty gruesome.

However, if you have a vivid imagination and you don't like violence etc. why watch Torchwood. I watched the scene through my fingers and I jumped up when I couldn't take it anymore (same with car crash politician). Also, it's not as if Torchwood has all of a sudden become violent or horrid. I'm sorry the child's death in children of earth or the kids being used as drug material for the reast of their lives was just as bad.

I just started watching Torchwood.This series is my first.I actually like TV series like Doctor Who and thought it would be similar.I didn't expect one of the good guys like Vera to have such a gruesome end too.That wouldn't have happened in Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just started watching Torchwood.This series is my first.I actually like TV series like Doctor Who and thought it would be similar.I didn't expect one of the good guys like Vera to have such a gruesome end too.That wouldn't have happened in Doctor Who.

Lovely, Saturday tea-time Doctor Who's second most well-known villains are human beings who have literally had their bodies ripped apart in an excruciatingly painful process and replaced with cybernetic shells, not to mention a lobotomy to remove all their emotions, so that they can live on, not allowed to die, as emotionless husks that care for nothing except the survival of humanity which they believe can be accomplished by doing the same to everyone else.

Brrrrrr! At least Vera only suffered for a short period.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode has a bbfc 12 rating and was shown after the watershed, ergo there is little point complaining. That's the same rating the DW episode The Doctors Daughter has by the way, strangely enough.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV282507/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone

Last night Torchwood reached a new low by introducing that absolutely torturous death for Vera.The so called miracle meant if someone was shot or tortured rather than dying it could take them ages to suffer the most horrible pain.Imagine the pain Vera would have gone through being burnt alive.It would have taken so long!I hate Torchwood for this and this scene last night was vomit inducing.Shame on you Torchwood:mad:

How old are you? 5? seriously its part of the story, its not really as gruesome as some of the scenes from previous episodes!

Go get a life darling!
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a much, much worse scene of someone being burnt alive in Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith.

And that was essentially a kids movie.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well if you watched classic Who, there is a companion who dies. Also a character dies in the two doctors etc., Lynda with a y dies in the first series of Who etc.

Torchwood is classed as adult science fiction to show scenes that would not be possible to show in Doctor Who. I also agree with Sebbie that the audience's discomfort was part of the writer's intention. Instead of just seeing millions of anonymous people being burnt to death, we see one of the main characters, someone we could relate to die in this horrific way.

It's a shame it disgusts you so much, but I also agree with Riona, there have been some other pretty horrid scenes in Miracle Day so far. If it is that horrid, you must stop watching or do what I do and watch from behind your pillow and jump up if it gets too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely, Saturday tea-time Doctor Who's second most well-known villains are human beings who have literally had their bodies ripped apart in an excruciatingly painful process and replaced with cybernetic shells, not to mention a lobotomy to remove all their emotions, so that they can live on, not allowed to die, as emotionless husks that care for nothing except the survival of humanity which they believe can be accomplished by doing the same to everyone else.

Brrrrrr! At least Vera only suffered for a short period.

If I'm honest with you,it's not just the painful death of Vera that shocked me but because she was one of the good guys,who I liked and wanted to live had to die in such a gruesome way was hard to stomach.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree that it was a gruesome scene, and I can very well imagine the pain Vera was going through. The premise of the story dictates that any scene like that is potentially going to make certain viewers uncomfortable - it did me. My wife won't actually watch Torchwood anymore - she stopped after the car crushing scene. I understand and respect that decision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's because Doctor Who has always been a children's program - suitable for children. Torchwood has always been an adult themed program - heck episode 2 of the first series is proof enough of that. I agree with lach doch mal on the Children of Earth point. Also there have been plenty of upsetting sceans not just on Torchwood but through out TV history if you can't handle such sceans then don't watch them. It is not as if your not given fair warning - they always warn of sceans that may upset some people at the start.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did you watch it then, if you're bothered by that kind of thing? For history coursework? Or just to have something to complain about? :confused::confused:
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did shout 'Oh NO'...at the tv, and like some was expectiing Rex to save her, unfortunately he didn't...lets face it, as shocking as it was, at least it wasnt predictable.I didnt see it coming a mile off...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madj40 wrote: »
    I did shout 'Oh NO'...at the tv, and like some was expectiing Rex to save her, unfortunately he didn't...lets face it, as shocking as it was, at least it wasnt predictable.I didnt see it coming a mile off...:(

Yes,I couldn't believe it too and really thought/hoped Rex would save her.I was shocked too that she didn't know any better than to have started mouthing off at such an evil character.She should have pretended to be okay with what he was doing and then expose him later.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,I couldn't believe it too and really thought/hoped Rex would save her.I was shocked too that she didn't know any better than to have started mouthing off at such an evil character.She should have pretended to be okay with what he was doing and then expose him later.
    yeah, but that doesnt mean I want to complain to the bbc...its a Drama!! and shown some 3 hours after Doctor who...so as much as it was a shock to see her meet a nasty end..Im afraid im of the opinion if I didnt want to watch it I would turn it off......
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    wow

just

wow

i fancy kentucky

newman

www.newmanfilms.net
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newman2005 wrote: »
    wow

just

wow

i fancy kentucky

newman

www.newmanfilms.net
    Wrong thread? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a much, much worse scene of someone being burnt alive in Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith.

And that was essentially a kids movie.

Personaly I thought the scene was very well done, and kind of proved the whole point that immortality could be a very bad thing. It was meant to make you think about the bigger picture and it worked. Plus everything was left to the viewers imagination, you didn't actualy see anything other than the flame jets being turned on.

As for Revenge of the Sith, the main differences are that Anakin Skywalker was a bile spewing bad guy, and most importantly a man. Many people are 'okay' with men being killed in a horific manner (at least on screen), but kill an attractive and likeable woman in the same way and many people will treat it as far worse. It's sort of like a subconcious form of sexism, as if people put a higher value on female life, whereas I believe that all human life should considered equaly important regardless of gender.

I wonder if the original poster would have complained had it been Rex or Oswald that met their demise in the cremation chamber?
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    sorry was a random reference to well done chicken and torchwood disposal system, i apologise profusely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone

So the severing of the neck of a living explosion victim didn't offend you but this did? That scene was far more gruesome than what was shown last night.

Very odd post, OP.