Metallica at Glastonbury.

Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
Forum Member
How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do YOU think?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they will go down very well.

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.

Set-wise I would have thought it will be "commercial" Metallica, so most of the Black album plus the more commercial tracks from their other albums, they have already said they are thinking of opening with Oasis' Wonderwall however I doubt they will do their cover of The Anti-Nowhere League's So What? somehow... :D
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.

If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
    I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
    I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.

100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    One
    Battery
    Fade to Black
    Seek and Destroy
    Enter Sandman
    Nothing Else Matters
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Creeping Death
    Sad But True
    Ride the Lightning
    Whiskey in the Jar
    The Unforgiven
    Blackened
    Fuel

The Four Horsemen
    Wherever I May Roam
    ...And Justice for All
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.

Isn't this the same with a huge percentage of headliners?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    One
    Battery
    Fade to Black
    Seek and Destroy
    Enter Sandman
    Nothing Else Matters
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Creeping Death
    Sad But True
    Ride the Lightning

Whiskey in the Jar
    The Unforgiven
    Blackened
    Fuel

The Four Horsemen
    Wherever I May Roam
    ...And Justice for All

That's 3 total bruisers in a row, mid set. Nice.

I'd like to see those 3 open the Glastonbury set. Just watch those trendy girls on their boyfriends shoulders suddenly start screaming for help!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I don't get the whole thing about Metallica being a strange booking for Glasto - they're a rock band, its a festival, and they've sold millions of records... they'll do fine! I think they'll go down a storm.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    What do YOU think?

I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).

At least Metallica won't be prancing around in a smug fashion going "here's one you know" and holding the microphone out to the audience.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.

Considering Jay-Z went down well a few years ago I don't think there will be an issue with Metallica.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.

Would love to see this picture.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Would love to see this picture.

Google it then, it's not hard to find.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see them playing the whole of Puppets.... or Justice.... in sequence.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done

theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?

It's not actually Hetfield in the photo. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2656522/Hunting-picture-slain-bear-used-animal-rights-protesters-internet-campaign-Metallica-dropped-festival-bill.html

Having said that, I 100% agree with your stance on hunting.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Well that says it all doesn't it.
  • lawd004lawd004 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth, here's a quote from Hetfield concerning his views on hunting, circa 2009:

"Nowadays it doesn’t feel necessary, killing things just to kill them. I’m not against hunting, but it doesn’t seem as necessary as going 150 miles an hour in my car now." [laughs]

http://www.guitarworld.com/james-hetfield-iron-man?page=0,4

He was big into hunting in the past, but not so much anymore. It's a non-issue, blown out of all proportion...
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snobbery and a predetermined outlook will stop them being truly appreciated whilst shite like Kasabian will triumph. How anyone can not enjoy Master of Puppets or the ridiculously good Four Horseman is beyond me.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sad day when it's the Daily Mail that is that puts an end to a nothing mock outrage fake story.

Look a that picture, the guy in it doesn't look remotely like James.. Cc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google it then, it's not hard to find.

You were saying?

Was hoping the satisfaction myself of being the one to say that said photograph is not actual James Hetfield but kudos to the others in this thread for getting there before me :D

I am opposed to hunting for recreational reasons (I am more open to it as a means of controlling a population of animals when that is deemed necessary). But the thoughts of a single band member - who, as the 2009 quote posted early illustrates, no longer actively hunts - somehow being enough to kick them off the festival bill is ridiculous. It's nothing more than anti-metal snobbery dressed up with a fancy excuse.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metallica will be awesome, if the PETA noobs don't like it they can go hug a cow.